Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]

Cape Foulwind

Cape Foulwind.

Cape Foulwind is situated about seven miles west of Westport, and can be reached thence by a railway which was constructed by the Westport Harbour Board in 1883, for the purpose of conveying stone from the local quarries. The public buildings comprise a school and two hotels, a public hall, and a Roman Catholic church, capable of seating about 200 persons. The chief occupation of the residents is stone-quarrying, but there are two sawmills, the principal products of which are silver pine sleepers for railway purposes. At the quarries less than fifty persons are now employed, whereas formerly there were four times that number. The locomotive employed at the quarries is an F class, and the strongest of its kind in New Zealand. The Cape is in the Wareatea riding of the county of Buller, in the electorate of Buller, and in the provincial district of Nelson. At the census of 1901, the population of the village was returned at 182. There is a lighthouse at the Cape. A good deal of farming is carried on in the neighbourhood; the business of the post office is conducted at the local store, and there is a public school in the district.

Fox, John Thomas, Farmer, Cape Foulwind. Mr. Fox's freehold property consists of 163 acres, part of which is limestone country. Forty acres are improved, and twenty-two head of cattle are grazed for dairying purposes, Mr. Fox was born in Devon, England, in 1838, and, at the age of twenty-one, arrived in Melbourne by the ship “Armonitas,” and worked on the goldfields with varied success. In 1862, he came to New Zealand, and proceeded to the Otago diggings. Four years later he removed to the West Coast, and worked on various fields. Since 1883, Mr. Fox has resided at Cape Foulwind, where he has a comfortable homestead, and is one of the pioneer settlers of the Coast.

Mr. J. T. Fox.

Mr. J. T. Fox.

Fox, William, Farmer, “Forest Farm,” Cape Foulwind. Mr. Fox's homestead consists of 100 acres of limestone soil. It was originally held under lease, but was purchased by Mr. Fox, in 1803. The land produces fine crops of potatoes, and eighteen head of stock are kept in prime condition for dairying purposes. Mr. Fox was born in England, and on leaving school, in 1848, he went to sea, and sailed to South America. In 1850, he arrived in New South Wales. Gold was discovered on the Turon diggings in the following year, and Mr. Fox went with the “rush.” His experience on Ballarat and other leading Victorian goldfields extended over thirteen years, and he was present at the Ballarat riots. On coming to New Zealand, he tried his fortune in Otago—at the Dunstan, Cromwell, page 237 Nevis, and other fields, and met with a fair amount of success; and began sluice mining at Charleston in 1867. In 1891, he was obliged to give up the occupation he liked so well, and purchase his farm. Mr. Fox has a grown up family of four, who reside at the “Forest Farm.”

Mr. W. Fox.

Mr. W. Fox.