The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
Motueka was settled in 1842 by some of the pioneers who came to Nelson under agreement with the New Zealand Company. The land was then densely covered with native bush, but was gradually cleared, and sub-divided into allotments of from twenty-five to fifty acres and upwards. The soil is exceptionally rich; in fact the district is acknowledged to be the most prolific in Nelson, and as it is a healthy locality it is growing in importance every year. Motueka has a population of about 900 persons, and is connected with Nelson by coach and steamer. The distance overland is about thirty-six miles, and by sea sixteen miles. A small steamer runs to and from Nelson daily, and there is also a daily coach service. Fruit-growing, hop-growing, and poultry farming are carried on in the district, and there are two dairy and two bacon factories at the township, which has a bank, a post, telegraph, money order and other Government offices. There are two hotels, and also public and private schools, and two churches—Church of England and Wesleyan. Trout abound in the Motueka and Riwaka rivers.
Motueka was formed into a municipality in the year 1899, and the first meeting of the Borough Council was held on the 17th of January, 1900, Mr. Richmond Hursthouse was the first Mayor; and Messrs J. S. Wratt, R. W. H. Rankin, and the present Mayor, Mr. F. W. Thorp, have been his successors, Messrs A. Grooby, E. A. Knapp, J. B. Jordan (deputy-mayor), A. Miller, W. Ryder, and James Satherley were councillors in 1905, and Mr. E. F. Johansen, Town Clerk. The valuation of property in the borough is £93,532; revenue, £726; population 900; ratepayers, 182; and there are 183 dwellings.
Mr. F. W. Thorp was elected Mayor of the borough of Motueka in the year 1905, and had filled the position for some months previously on account of the death of Mr. R. W. Rankin. Mr. Thorp is an old resident of Motueka, and it is said that he started the first butter factory in New Zealand.
Councillor James Satherley was elected to a seat on the Motueka Borough Council, at its institution, in the year 1899. He is further referred to as a farmer at Motueka.
Councillor W. Ryder has been a member of the Motueka Borough Council since its inception, in 1899.
Councillor Arthur Grooby was elected to the Motueka Borough Council in the year 1904. He was born in Motueka, in 1866, and is engaged in the hop and fruit-growing industry.
Councillor Andrew Miller became a member of the Motueka Borough Council in November, 1904. He is further referred to as a builder and contractor, and as a member of other local bodies and institutions.
Councillor J. B. Jordan was elected to a seat on the Motueka Borough Council in April, 1905, and in the same year was acting as deputymayor of the borough. He is further referred to as a saddler and harnessmaker.
Councillor Edward Arthur Knapp, who was elected to the Motueka Borough Council in April, 1905, is referred to in another article as a blacksmith and wheelright, and as a member of other public bodies.
Mr. Ernest F. Johansen , Town Clerk to the Motueka Borough Council, was born in Motueka in the year 1877, and is a son of the late Dr. Johansen. He was educated at Nelson College, and at Canterbury College, where he took his M.A. degree (with honours), and his L.L.B. degree. Mr. Johansen studied law at Wellington, with Messrs Martin and Richmond, and was admitted to the bar in 1901. He subsequently commenced the practice of his profession in Motueka.
Mr. Harry Moffat , Wharfinger and Harbourmaster at Motueka, came to Nelson by the ship “Mariner,” in 1857. He was born in London, England, in 1839, and went to sea at the age of twelve in the ship “Bolton,” bound for Sydney and Callao, where the vessel was condemned. Mr. Moffat then shipped on board the ship “Margaret” for Mauritius and England. He was for a short time engaged in the English coasting trade, and for three years in the trade between Newfoundland, the Brazils and New York. After his arrival in New Zealand he followed mining in Nelson and Otago, with the result that he took passage home in the “Suffolk,” and after a three months' holiday in England returned to Nelson in the ship “Magna Bona.” He then went as providore of the s.s. “Nelson,” engaged in the West Coast trade, and when that boat came to grief on the Grey bar, he started butchering in Hokitika, but without success. He was married about that time, and for several years was a mate in the Anchor Steamship Company's service. Afterwards for three years he kept a store at West Wanganui, but relinquished that for his present position in 1877. Mr. Moffat has been a total abstainer for more than fifty years.
Mr. H. Moffat.
Post, Telegraph, Money Order And Savings Bank, And Government Insurance Office , corner of High and Greenwood Streets, Motueka. The building is of brick, with concrete facings, and was opened by Sir Joseph Ward, in the year 1902. Mails are despatched daily to Nelson. Mr. A. J. Berry was appointed postmaster in November, 1903.
District High School , Motueka. There are 170 scholars on the roll, with an average attendance of 141, and pupils are prepared for matriculation. Mr. Thomas A. Harris is headmaster, and he has four assistants.
Lodge Motueka , No. 117, New Zealand Constitution, was founded in the year 1900 by Messrs L. D. Easton, W. W. De Castro (first Worshipful Master), H. O. B. Deck, C. J. Bartlett, T. G. Brougham, J. A. Guy, G. Ingram, C. S. McFarlane, A. White, T. Hunt, and H. Haycock. It has a membership of twenty-two, and meetings are held on the nearest Wednesday to the full moon in each month, in the Masonic Hall, Motueka, the property of the Lodge. Officers for the year 1905: Mr. C. S. McFarlane, Worshipful Master; Mr. A. I. Manoy, Senior Warden; Mr. George W. Jenkins, Junior Warden; Secretary, Mr. J. A. Guy; Treasurer, Mr. T. G. Brougham.
Mr. Charles Scott Mcfarlane , Worshipful Master of Lodge Motueka, No. 117, New Zealand Constitution, was initiated in the year 1886, in Lodge Southern Star, Nelson, and was installed as Worshipful Master of Lodge Motueka, in October, 1904, by the Grand Superintendent, Worshipful Master Brother J. Conley. Mr. McFarlane was one of the founders of Lodge Motueka, and was its first Junior Deacon. He is also a member of the Order of Oddfellows, and a Past Chief Ranger of Court Perseverance, of the Order of Forresters, No. 3977. Mr. McFarlane was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1850, and served an apprenticeship to the blacksmithing trade, partly on the Clyde, and partly in Nelson, New Zealand. In 1871, he removed to Motueka, and started in business for himself as a horseshoer and general smith. Mr. McFarlane has been a member of the District High School committee: has sat on the Licensing Bench; and for a time was a member of the Institute Committee. He married a daughter of the late Mr. Thomas Goodman, of Motueka, and has a family of eleven sons and two daughters.
Mr. C. S. Mcfarlane.
Court Preserverance , of the Ancient Order of Foresters, No. 3977, Motueka, was established in September, 1863, with Mr. John W. Slatter as first Chief Ranger. At the present time (1905) there is a membership of eighty. Meetings are held every fourth Saturday. A new hall will shortly be erected, as the old one was destroyed in the fire of June, 1905; meetings are held temporarily in the Oddfellows' Hall. The balance at the end of the year 1904 amounted to £669. Officers for 1905: Immediate Past Chief Ranger, Brother C. S. McFarlane; Chief Ranger, Brother E. A. Knapp, junior; Sub-Chief Ranger, Brother L. Drogemuller; Treasurer, Brother L. A. Boyes; and Secretary, Brother E. A. Knapp, senior.
The Motueka Orchestral Society was formed in the year 1896, and vocal and instrumental concerts are given. The society possesses an excellent orchestra, of which Mr. A. I. Manoy is the pianist. Mr. Andrew Miller is the conductor.
The “Motueka Star” was founded in August, 1901, by the late Mr. J. H. Boundy, and is a six-page demy paper, published twice a week. The “Star” has a circulation throughout Motueka and the surrounding districts. Its office is situated in Greenwood Street, Motueka, and all kinds of commercial printing are undertaken by the proprietor.
Mr. Gordon J. W. Boundy , Manager and Editor of the “Motueka Star,” was born in Blenheim, in August, 1882, and was educated partly in Blenheim, and partly in Westport. In August, 1900, he settled in Motueka with his parents, and assisted his father in the printing office. When Mr. Boundy, senior, died, in June, 1904, his son took over the management of the business, and he has since then successfully conducted it. Mr. Boundy is a member of the District High School committee, and of the local Debating Society.
Easton, L. D. , Solicitor, Motueka. Mr. Easton was born in Ayrshire, Scotland. He studied at the Ayr Academy, and entered the Edinburgh University, where he was considered one of the best classical scholars under the late Professor J. S. Blackie. In 1877, Mr. Easton emigrated to Australia, and came to New Zealand in 1894. On landing at Nelson, he was appointed to the mastership of the Neudorf school, and, after being in that position for two years, he was promoted to the mastership of the Lower Moutere school. Mr Easton began to practice as a solicitor at Motueka early in the year 1905.
Deck, Henry O'Brien, M.B., B.S.' Medical practitioner, Motueka. Private residence, Stafford Street.
Bartlett, Charles John, Builder, Contractor, and Undertaker, Motueka. Mr. Bartlett came to New Zealand in October, 1857, by the ship “Robert Small.” After serving an apprenticeship to his trade in Nelson, he founded his present business, which he has continued with varied success. It extends over a radius of thirty miles, and Mr. Bartlett deals in all branches of his trade. He has a thorough knowledge of his business in all its departments—from carpentry to architecture, and he has had numerous large contracts throughout the district, having designed and erected many business premises and villa residences in Nelson and its suburbs. Mr. Bartlett is ever ready to meet his country clients fairly, and does not object to take produce in exchange for his services. He therefore receives a large share of public patronage in his district.
Mr. C. J. Bartlett.
Miller, Andrew, Builder and Contractor, Motueka. Mr. Miller was born in Nelson in the year 1862, and is a son of Mr. John Paul Miller, who arrived in Nelson in the early days. He was educated in Nelson, and apprenticed to the building trade with the late Mr. John Scott. In April, 1896, he removed to Motueka, and started in business for himself as a builder and contractor. Mr. Miller was elected to the Motueka Borough Council in November, 1904, and is a member of the Institute Committee; sub-captain of the local Rifle Club; conductor of the Motueka Orchestral Society; and a member of the Order of Oddfellows.
Uren And Company , Drapers, Clothiers and General Outfitters, High Street, Motueka. This business was established in the year 1899 by Everett Brothers, in a small shop near Holyoak's Hotel. It was removed to larger and more up-to-date premises in 1902, and was acquired by the present proprietor in August, 1904. The building is of wood and iron, with a frontage of forty feet, and a depth of seventy feet. The workroom and fitting-rooms are at the rear, and the show room is suitably fitted up with a number of mirrors, and stocked with fabrics calculated to meet the requirements of all purchasers. There is a large stock of drapery, the bulk of which is imported direct from the English and Continental markets. Dressmaking and tailoring in all branches are carried on, and the firm employs a competent and obliging staff of assistants. The displays in the two large show windows include an excellent assortment of new and firstclass goods, and the building is lighted by fanlights and acetylene gas. The firm's customers can rely on getting good value for their money, and the best of goods at town prices.
Mr. William Uren , Proprietor of Uren and Company, Motueka, was born in Lawrence, Otago, in the year 1867. He served his apprenticeship to the drapery trade in Lawrence, Dunedin, and Invereargill; in Dunedin, with Messrs Herbert Haynes and Co., and in Invercargill, with Messrs W. Lewis and Co. He was subsequently with Messrs T. Watson and Co. at Blenheim, and then became manager at Motueka for Messrs Everett Brothers, whose business he bought in August, 1904. Mr. Uren has done much to strengthen and extend his connection as a business man.
Sunny Brae House (Mrs Holdaway, proprietress), Motueka Wharf. This is a substantial two-storey building with two comfortable sitting rooms and thirteen bedrooms. The house is unsurpassed as a temporary home for invalids, and those who have used it as such speak in high terms of the care and attention bestowed upon them by the management. Visitors from Nelson and other parts of New Zealand patronise the establishment, as it is near the sea-shore, and bathing can be indulged in with safety. There is also good fishing at all seasons. The whole establishment is under the charge of Mrs Holdaway.
Mr. Holdaway was born at Richmond in 1845, and is a son of the late Mr. John Holdaway, who was one of the party which came to Nelson in the ship “Will Watch,” and went in the pilot boat with the late Captain J. S. Cross, to find a suitable harbour for the new settlement. He was brought up to farm work, and acquired his present holding of seventy-five acres at Lower Moutere in the year 1869, when it was in a rough, uncultivated state. Mr. Holdaway was on the Lower Moutere school committee for sixteen years, was chairman and secretary for five years, and also oc- page 232 cupied a seat on the Lower Moutere Road Board for two years.
Knapp, Edward, Arthur, Blacksmith and Wheelwright, Motueka. Mr. Knapp was born in Portsmouth. England, in the year 1860, and came to Wellington, New Zealand, with his parents in 1873, by the ship “E. P. Bouverie.” After serving an apprenticeship to blacksmithing with his father in Wellington, Mr. Knapp worked for two years at his trade in Nelson, and subsequently removed to Motueka, where he started in business on his own account as a blacksmith and wheelwright. He was elected, in April, 1905, to the Motueka Borough Council, and is also a member of the District High School committee; chairman and treasurer of the Foresters' Hall committee; secretary of the local Foresters' Lodge; a member of Lodge Motueka, No. 117, New Zealand Constitution; and has been a member of the Institute Committee, and of the local Brass Band. Mr. Knapp married a daughter of Mr. Thomas Bird, of Wellington, and has, surviving, seven sons and six daughters.
Jordan, J. B., Saddler, Harness Maker and General Leather Worker, High Street, Motueka, Established 1871. P.O. Box 8. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business has a large connection, and Mr. Jordan's stock is second to none in the province. His workmanship has a well-deserved reputation for durability, style and finish. Mr. Jordan himself is a thoroughly practical tradesman, and as he is also an experienced man of business, his establishment is in every respect in the front rank. His business premises are situated in the heart of the town; they are of two stories, and have a frontage of 40 feet. Mr. Jordan takes an active interest in anything which is likely to promote the advancement of Motueka. He was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1896.
Mr. J. B. Jordan's Premises.
Hewetson, J. And Co . (Joseph Hewetson, Reginald Hewetson and Joseph Senior), Roller Mills and Timber Yards, Motueka. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. The business of the flour mill is carried on in a four-storied building of corrugated iron. There is a frontage of 40 feet to the main building. There is also a two-storied detached building with a 60 feet frontage and 800 square feet of floorage space, used solely for storage purposes. The mill is driven by a twelve-horse power steam engine, by W. H. France, of Nelson, and it is equipped with a complete set of roller and grinding machinery. The firm possesses all the latest machinery for dressing and purifying flour, including a “Eureka” and scouring machine, specially imported for the purpose. Messrs Hewetson and Co.'s “Kapai” brand of flour is well and favourably known throughout the province off (Nelson, and finds a ready sale wherever it is offered to the trade or the public. Not only does the engine drive the flour mill, but it grinds oats for horse feed and propels the machinery of the firm's adjoining Sawmill, which, with wood-cutting, was added page 233 to the business in 1896. The firm also presses hops and dumps wool bales; in fact, this is a feature of the business. Mr. J. Hewetson, who was originally the head of the firm, was much esteemed throughout the Motueka district. He died in January, 1901.
Douglas, William, Farmer, Motueka. Mr. Douglas was born in the year 1819 in Roxburgh, Scotland. He was brought up as a blacksmith, and after leaving Scotland he worked as a journeyman at North Shields, England, for three years, and was married there to Miss Marv Dixon, a native of Northumberland. He came to New Zealand in the ship “Indus,” which arrived at Nelson on the 5th of February, 1843. Mr. Douglas soon learned what was expected of a strong, able young man, in the new settlement; and he did his share in making the district what it is at the present time. He has a farm of one hundred acres, all first-class agricultural land, well suited for the growing of crops. Mrs Douglas died in 1877, and two years later Mr. Douglas married his present wife, who came to New Zealand in the ship “Fifeshire” in 1841.
Mr. W. Douglas.
Gillett, John, Farmer, Motueka. Mr. Gillett was born at Takaka in 1843, and is the son of Mr. John Gillett, who came out to New Zealand in 1843 in the ship “Whitby,” chartered by the New Zealand Company. Mr. Gillett has thus been enabled to watch the steady growth of the Nelson districty, which has been called, not without justice, “the garden of New Zealand.” He has been a member of the Independent Order of Oddfellows, Manchester Unity, since 1867, and has passed through all the degrees of the Order. Mr. Gillett's homestead has a frontage to Stafford road, and commands a fine view of the bays.
Mr. J. Gillett's Residence.
Satherly, James, Farmer, Motueka. Mr. Satherly was born in Somersetshire, England, in the year 1840, and is the son of Mr. William Satherly, well and popularly known by all the early colonists. On the way out in the ship “Sir Charles Forbes,” bound from England to Nelson, New Zealand, Mr Satherly's mother died; which was particularly unfortunate for the family. However, they settled in the Waimea district, where they commenced farming, and were very successful. Mr. James Satherly had a good deal of experience on the diggings in the Collingwood district and in Canterbury and elsewhere. He settled down in Motueka in 1860, and has a fine farm of forty-five acres of very rich land, well suited to the cultivation of hops, the staple product of the district. Mr. Satherly is one of the oldest Oddfellows in the district, and took a prominent part in the opening of the local lodge. He has served as a member of the Motueka Road Board and school committee, and is ever to the fore in anything likely to promote the advancement of the district. Mr. Satherly is married and has three children.
Mr. J. Satherly.
Smith, Charles And John , Farmers, Motueka. The Messrs Smith came from England to New Zealand in the ship “Phœbe Dunbar,” and landed at Nelson. They went soon after their arrival to the Motueka district, and have resided there ever since.
Staples, Robert, Farmer, Motueka. Mr. Staples is an old settler and was born in the district. His farm consists of 1459 acres, of which 130 acres are under the plough, 600 in grass, and 390 in standing bush. The homestead is a handsome two-storied dwelling, with a well kept lawn in front, Mr. Staples is a member of the road board and is a trustee of the Wesleyan church. In 1874 he married a daughter of Mr. Thomas Atkin, of Motueka, and has seven children.
Wallis, Richard Dockery, Farmer, “Hulmers,” Motueka, Mr. Wallis has a nicely improved farm of 150 acres, all of which is arable. Grain grows very well on the land, and Mr. Wallis carries on mixed farming. He is a son of the late Mr. R. Wallis, the wellknown philanthropist, and was born in Richmond in 1855. Mr. Wallis has resided in the Motueka district since he was eleven years of age, and he took possession of the property after his father's death in 1882.
Mr. James Henry Boundy , sometime of Motueka, was born at St. Agnee, Cornwall, England, in the year 1858. He came to New Zealand at the age of nine years, and was for ten years on the staff of the Nelson “Colonist.” Mr. Boundy afterwards entered into partnership with Mr. S. J. Eurness, and bought out the “Marlborough Express,” which they successfully conducted for fourteen years. He then joined Mr. J. J. Corry, and was for some time in the wool and grain business in Blenheim. Mr. Boundy subsequently acquired the “Westport News.” After two years spent on the West Coast, he removed to Nelson, and founded the “Motueka Star,” which he personally conducted until the time of his death. Mr. Boundy was a member of the Masonic Order, of the District High School committee, and of the Nelson Education Board. He also acted as Returning Officer of the Motuoka electorate for some years. Mr. Boundy was an upright and just man, and was deeply respected. He married a daughter of the late Captain Cross, and when he died, on the 22nd of June, 1904, he left a widow, two sons, and three daughters.
Mr. Thomas Goodman was born on the 12th of December, 1821, in Nottingham, England, where he was educated and apprenticed to the bakery and confectionery trade. He arrived in New Zealand on the 31st of March. 1843, and landed in Nelson after a voyage of four months and a-half. Mr. Goodman was employed by the New Zealand Company for about twelve months, and subsequently entered the service of the late Mr. Ross, successively as driver and baker, and remained with him for seventeen years. Upon the retirement of Mr. Ross, Mr. Goodman, in conjunction with Mr. C. King, took over the business, which they conducted successfully for four years. Mr. Goodman afterwards became baker for Mr. I. Johns, with whom he remained until January, 1867, when he removed to Motueka, and started business on his own account. He successfully conducted a bakery in Motueka for a number of years, and retired in the year 1903. Mr. Goodman was a resident of Nelson at the time of the Wairau massacre, in June, 1843. He experienced the hardships of the early pioneers, when potatoes, newly planted, were dug up for food, and when workmen were employed by the landholders in the Waimeas and elsewhere, at one shilling and sixpence per day, to clear their holdings of flax, manuka, etc. Mr. Goodman was highly respected; he was always cheerful, obliging, and full of anecdotes relating to the early history of the town and provincial district of Nelson, with which he was associated for over sixty-two years. He was an Oddfellow of many years' standing, and always took an active interest in the welfare of the district. Mr. Goodman died on the 13th of March, 1905.
The Late Mr. T. Goodman.