The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
Pangatotara is four miles and a-half from Motueka. It is a farming and fruit-growing district, with the nucleus of a township, which has a school and other conveniences.
Pangatotara Sawmill (Christopher Remnant, junior, proprietor), Pangatotara. page 228 Established November, 1898. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand, Motueka. This mill's machinery is driven by water power, and the overshot wheel is 16 feet by 5 feet wide. The timber cut consists of white pine and rimu, for which Mr. Remnant finds a market locally and at Motueka; from 1500 to 2000 feet can be turned out daily.
Mr. Christopher Remnant , the Proprietor of the Pangatotara Sawmill, was born at Ngatimoti in 1871, and is a son of Mr. Christopher Remnant. He has 350 acres of land, on which there is bush to last him for some time.
Mr. C. Remnant, Junior.
Grooby Brothers (Francis Grooby and George Grooby), Hop and Fruitgrowers, Rocky River, Pangatotara. Messrs Grooby have a freehold of 338 acres, situated at the head of the Pangatotara district, on the western banks of the Rocky river, and much of it is rich alluvial soil. There are about 400 crossbred sheep on the property, and the owners also cultivate a few acres of hops and have about five acres planted with fruit trees. The Messrs Grooby were born in Nottinghamshire, England, and come to New Zealand by the ship “Annie Loughton,” in November, 1864. During the flood that deluged the Ngatimoti district some years ago, Mr. Francis Grooby had a narrow escape, and was rescued from a perilous position whilst the flood was at its height.
Inwood, William, Farmer, “Target Hill,” Pangatotara. Mr. Inwood was born in Hampshire, England, in 1829, and learned both carpentry and shoemaking. He came to New Zealand in the ship “Lloyds” in 1842. His stepfather, Mr. Windelbank, was one of Captain Wakefield's expedition men, who had previously arrived in the ship “Will Watch.” After a short residence in Nelson. Mr. Inwood settled on some land at Motueka, and eighteen years ago he took up his present property. Mrs Inwood is a daughter of Mr. William Sherman, of Surrey, England.
Marshall, George Kemp, Farmer and Orchardist, Stoney Terrace, Pangatotara. Mr. Marshall has a holding of 400 acres, twenty-five of which can be ploughed. He grows an acre of raspberries, and has from four to five acres of large and small fruits; the balance of the land is stocked with sheep and cattle. Mr. Marshall was born in Marlborough in 1855, and is a son of the late Mr. William Marshall, who landed in Nelson in the forties. He was brought up in the district, and after visiting various parts of New Zealand, he returned to Pangatotara in 1894.
Mr. G. K. Marshall.
Thomason, Henry, Fruit Grower, Pangatotara Valley. Mr. Thomason owns seventy acres of land, of which thirty acres are ploughable. He has five acres in fruit, and grows excellent crops of raspberries, besides oats for use on his farm. The land also carries 120 sheep and five head of cattle. Mr. Thomason was born at Spring Grove in 1865, and is a son of the late Mr. Esmy Thomason, who came to Nelson in the ship “Fifeshire” in 1842. He was brought up to farm work and acquired his present holding in 1885. Mr. Thomason married a daughter of the late Mr. James Delaney, of Ngatimoti.
Mr. Thomas Grooby was a successful fruit-grower at Pangatotara, where he owned thirty acres of land, five acres of which, were in orchard; and he also had 150 acres at Ngatimoti, where he kept stock. Mr. Grooby was born in Nottinghamshire, England, on the 25th of February, 1833, and landed in New Zealand in March, 1843. He lived in Brook Street, Nelson, for seventeen years, and then settled in Pangatotara. Mr. Grooby was a member of the Pangatotara Road Board for fourteen years and also of the Motueka Highwas Board. He died at Pangatotara on the 19th of May, 1899.
The Late Mr. T. Grooby.