The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
Burnett's Face is one of the coal-mining settlements of the Westport Coal Company, and is two miles from Denniston by a good road. From Denniston, a walk of three miles leads to Conn's Creek, the terminus of the Westport Coal Company's branch line, which connects with the New Zealand railways at Waimangaroa Junction. Burnett's Face settlement dates from 1886, and its population at the census of 1901 was 212. It is in the North Wareatea riding of the county of Buller, in the provincial district of Nelson, and in the electoral district of Buller. The population consists chiefly of colliers, and the township has two hotels, a bakery, three stores, a butchery, and a fancy goods shop. There is also a public school. The business of the Post Office and Telephone Bureau, where money order and savings bank business is also transacted, is carried on at the store of Mr. W. Hotchkiss.
Pullar Bros . (George Pullar and John Pullar), General Merchants and Butchers, Burnett's Face. Messrs George and John Pullar conduct a general grocery and butchery business, which they acquired in the year 1904.
Mr. John Pullar , Senior Partner of the firm of Pullar Bros, was born at Staffordtown in the year 1880, and educated at Ross. He was afterwards engaged in general work for some time, and then worked in the mines at Burnett's Face.
Mr. George Pullar , Junior Partner of the firm of Pullar Bros., was born in the year 1884, at Ross, where he was educated. He worked for some time in connection with the firm's present business, and became a partner in 1904.
Mcalpine, Robert, Storekeeper and Baker, Burnett's Face. Mr. McAlpine began his business in 1880. He is a colonist of nearly thirty years' standing, and landed in Nelson from the ship “Howrah.” For some years he was mining at Collingwood. In 1878, he went to the West Coast, spent two years in Reefton, and then opened the first store at Burnett's Face. Mr. McAlpine married Miss J. Marshall, of Waimangaroa, in 1884.