The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
Ngatimoti is a fertile district situated about ten miles from Motueka. Its name is said to have been derived from the action of a Maori, who cut the words “Nga Timote” on a tree on the propery known as Dr. Johansen's. A picturesque view is obtained from Mr. Guy's place, where, looking westward, the Pangatotara Valley, Pokororo, and Walker river call be seen; and to the southward, Orinoco Valley. The land of the district is well adapted to the cultivation of hops, which are grown extensively, and the fruitgrowing industry is likely to become a feature of the district in a few years. The district has a church, two schools, a public library, and a post office.
Canton, John, Farmer, Ngatimoti. Mr. Canton is one of the first settlers who picked out Ngatimoti to settle down in life. He was born in 1834, in Pembrokeshire, Wales, and was brought up to a mining life. In 1857 he emigrated to Australia, and went to the diggings at Castlemaine. He was not very successful, and came over to Nelson in 1861. After trying the Lyell diggings he settled in Ngatimoti in 1864, to farm ninety acres of first-class bush land, which he has converted into a fine profitable property. Mr. Canton was the first man to fell bush in the valley where he lives, and which is now cleared for miles in all directions. He is married and has a family.
Mr. and Mrs J. Canton and Family.
Guy, John A., Postmaster and Farmer, Ngatimoti. Mr. Guy's property comprises 150 acres, principally hilly country, on which he runs cattle and sheep. He is a native of Nelson, and, with the exception of the time occupied in touring the colony on several occasions, has spent the whole of his life in the province. Mr. Guy has held the position of postmaster and telephonist at Ngatimoti since 1892, and performs the duties in a most satisfactory manner. He has been secretary and treasurer of the local school committee for many years, and was its chairman for six or seven years. As a Freemason, he was one of the founders of Lodge Motueka, No. 117, New Zealand Constitution, and has been the Lodge's secretary since its foundation. Mr. Guy was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1899.
Mr. and Mrs J. A. Guy.
Lines, George, Farmer, Ngatimoti. Mr. Lines settled in the Ngatimoti district in 1857. His farm contains about 600 acres of land, mostly pastoral, and carries about 700 sheen and thirty head page 139 of cattle. Hops are very extensively grown by Mr. Lines, and grain and fruit for home use. He was born at Wakefield, Nelson, in 1845, and is the son of the late Mr. Thomas Lines, who came to Nelson in the ship “Thomas Harrison,” under charter to the New Zealand Company, in the early forties. Mr. Lines has taken great interest in educational matters, and is very well liked by all the settlers in the district. He has a fine homestead replete with every convenience. Mr. Lines is married, and has eight children living.
Salisbury, John Edward, Farmer, Ngatimoti. Mr. J. E. Salisbury is a son of the late Mr. John Park Salisbury, who was one of the first to settle in the Ngatimoti district, and who in the early days did much to open up the back country. Mr. J. E. Salisbury was born at Pangatotara, near Motueka. Early in life he decided to follow sheopfarming, and has been successful throughout his career. His farm of 670 acres is situated at the junction of Lloyd's Valley and Orinoco. It is most suitable for grazing stock, and about 1000 sheep and cattle now run on the property. Mr. Salisbury is a breeder of Border Leicester and Romney Marsh, and has bought stud sheep from some of the best flocks in New Zealand. He is a married man.
Mr. J. E. Salisbury.
Strachan, Gavin Cochrane, Farmer, Ngatimoti. Mr. Strachan forinerly managed the Woodstock estate, on behalf of the executors. He was born in Riwaka in 1858, and was brought up to farming, but was subsequently engaged for ten years with his brothers in a cooperage business. Mr. Strachan is connected with the Church of England at Ngatimoti, and has been a vestryman since 1883. His wife is a daughter of Mr. Francis Holder, of Pangatotara.
Mr. G. C. Strachan.
Strachan Brothers (Alexander Cochrane Strachan, John Campbell Strachan, and Thomas Pringle Strachan), Ngatimoti. The Messrs Strachan Brothers are the sons of the late Mr. Benjamin Strachan, who came out to New Zealand in 1853, in the barque “Admiral Grenfell,” and was very well known by all Nelsonians. Early in life, the late Mr. Strachan suffered very keenly through illhealth, and he was compelled to retire from active occupation, and on his sons devolved the duty of providing for the family. After residing at Riwaka for many years, where they were successful as farmers, Messrs Strachan removed in 1872 to Ngatimoti, where they took up their present property of 800 acres of bush land, which is now partly improved, and is used as a sheep run. Mr. Alexander Strachan married a daughter of the Rev. T. A. Bowden, of Wakefield.
Mr. James Delaney was born at Port Underwood in 1842, and was a son of Mr. John Delaney. He was educated and brought up in the province of Nelson, and was for some time butchering and hotelkeeping in Motueka. Mr. Delaney bought the Ngatimoti Butter Factory in 1878. At one time he took considerable interest in public affairs. He died in 1903.
The Late. Mr. J. Delaney.
Mrs J. Delaney.