Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]



Page 549. Councillor James Kerr has been a member of the Greymouth Borough Council since the year 1903. He is the eldest son of the late Hon. James Kerr, M.L.C., and was born in Greymouth in 1875. Mr. Kerr was educated in Greymouth, and afterwards entered the employment of the “Grey River Argus.” He has worked right through the various departments, was manager of the journal for five years, and has acted as sub-editor since 1904. He married a daughter of the late Mr. Robert Stevenson, of Stafford, in 1903, and has one son. Mr. Kerr is a member of the Grey Education Board, and of the Greymouth Charitable Aid Board.

Page 563. Guinness and Kitchingham (Hon. Arthur Robert Guinness and Henry William Kitchingham), Barristers and Solicitors, Hospital Street, Greymouth. This well-known firm acts as solicitors for the Bank of New Zealand, Union Bank of Australia, and National Bank of New Zealand, at Greymouth, the Blackball Coal Company, Grey Education Board, Dispatch Foundry Company, and other businesses. Mr. Kitchingham is solicitor to the Greymouth Harbour Board, and Mr. Guinness is a Notary Public. The practice was founded, in 1867, by the senior partner, who is further referred to in this volume as member for Grey, and Speaker of the House of Representatives. The firm was constituted in 1884, by the admission of the junior partner

Mr. Henry William Kitchingham , Junior Partner in the firm of Guinness and Kitchingham, was born in London, England, in 1862, arrived in New Zealand in 1870, with his parents, and was educated in Greymouth. He studied law under Mr. Guinness; was admitted as a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand page 614 in 1884; and, a few months later, became a member of the firm. In 1885, Mr. Kitchingham married a daughter of Mr. F. Austin, of Greymouth, and has one son.

Page 569. Holmes Brothers (Henry Holmes and Ernest Middleton Holmes) Painters, Decorators, and Paperhangers, corner of Tainui and Mackay Streets, Greymouth. This business was founded, in the year 1890, by Mr. Charles Edward Holmes. It was subsequently acquired by the Hon. J. Holmes, M.L.C., who conducted it for about nine years, when the present firm was constituted. The building is a corner shop of one-and-two stories in height, and contains an extensive stock of paperhangings and oilmen's stores.

Mr. Henry Holmes , of the firm of Holmes Brothers, was born in Hokitika on the 12th of October, 1867, and was educated in Hokitika, and at the Boys' High School, Christchurch. He gained his first experience of his trade in Hokitika, and afterwards served for three years in Dunedin. He then returned to the West Coast, and managed his father's business in Hokitika for fifteen years. Mr. Holmes was a trustee of the Oddfellows' Lodge, Manchester Unity, at Hokitika, for about nine years; as a footballer he played for Hokitika against Greymouth in 1885, and has also been a member of the Hokitika and Grey volunteer corps and bands. Mr. Holmes married a daughter of Mr. William Hannam, of Hokitika, in June, 1892, and has, surviving, one son and one daughter.

Mr. Ernest Middleton Holmes , Junior Partner in the firm of Holmes Brothers, was born in February, 1869, at Hokitika, where he was educated. He learned his trade in Christchurch and in Greymouth, and for some time managed the Greymouth branch of his father's business, before joining his brother in partnership. Mr. Holmes has taken an interest in football, volunteering, and brass bands, in Greymouth and Hokitika; and as a Freemason, he was Senior Warden of Lodge Greymouth in 1905. He married a daughter of Mr. G. F. Orams, of Greymouth, in October, 1897, and has, surviving, two sons and one daughter.

Page 574. Cox, Archibald, General Engineer, Boundary Street, Greymouth. This business was established in 1904, and is carried on in an iron building, which contains an engineer's shop and a moulding shop. The plant, which is driven by a four horse-power Crossley gas engine, consists of the latest high-speed lathes, punching, shearing and drilling machines; emery buffs, and a one-and-a-half horse-power fan. All kinds of engineering work is undertaken, and six persons are employed. The proprietor was born in 1870 at Southampton, England, where he attended school, but completed his education in Auckland, whither he accompanied his parents in 1881, by the ship “Rakaia.” Mr. Cox learned his trade at Messrs McCoskrie and Son's Chapel Street
Porter's Pass. Ring, photo.

Porter's Pass. Ring, photo.

page 615 Ironworks, and subsequently went to England in the freezing department of the s.s. “Tekoa.” He gained further experience on the London and South Western Railway, on which he served seven months. Then he joined the Union Castle Steam Ship Company, worked in its workshops at Southampton, and afterwards served as an engineer on seven vessels of that line. He was wrecked on the African coast at Delagoa Bay, in the s.s. “Saxon,” when engaged as second engineer. He visited Johannesburg, but was subsequently driven out at the time of the Jameson Raid, and returned to New Zealand. He found employment at Coromandel, where he was engaged in connection with crushing machinery till 1890. Mr. Cox again visited South Africa, and was in a vessel trading on that coast for seven months. Once more back in New Zealand, he joined Messrs J. Chambers and Sons in Auckland, and was sent to Greymouth to erect machinery. In addition to other work, he fitted up the Greymouth borough pumping plant. Later on, Mr Cox was employed as engineer by Messrs Stratford, Blair and Company, Limited, for eighteen months, before commencing business on his own account. In 1896, he married a daughter of Mr. Samuel James, of Coromandel, and has one son and one daughter.
H. J. Weeks, Ltd., Printers, Manchester Street, Christchurch.—42249

H. J. Weeks, Ltd., Printers, Manchester Street, Christchurch.—42249