The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Longridge , as a farming settlement in the Hokonui riding of the county of Southland, had a population of 112 at the census of 1901; while Longridge North had a population of 192, and Longridge South 129; these two places being in the Oreti riding of the county of Southland. The district takes its name from a sheep station, which in the early days embraced a very large area of land, including the site of the township of Balfour. The schoolhouse, which is centrally situated in the village of Longridge, is six miles distant from Lumsden, and seven miles from Balfour. The road connecting these places passes over a considerable ridge in hilly country, lying between Longridge and Lumsden. The Longridge settlements are in the Wakatipu electorate, and agricultural and pastoral pursuits are the principal industries. The country varies from undulating to hilly.
Longridge Public School was established about 1880. The building which is of wood and iron, stands on a site of two acres, and contains a classroom and porch, with accommodation for fifty children. There are thirty-two names on the roll, and the average attendance is twenty-seven. The premises include a shelter-shed and playground, and a teacher's residence of four rooms.
Miss Amy Anderson , Teacher-incharge at Longridge, is a native of Mataura. She was educated at the Middle School, Invercargill, where she served as a pupil-teacher for six years, and was appointed to her present position in 1902. Miss Anderson is a member of the New Zealand Educational Institute, and is an amateur artist in black and white.