The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Queenstown Borough Council
Queenstown Borough Council . Queenstown was constituted a borough in 1866, and is subject to the Rating Acts of 1876 and 1894. There is an estimated area within the belt of 923 acres, with a population of 700, about 300 dwellings, 175 ratepayers, and 324 rateable properties. The capital value is about £95,000, and the annual rateable value £4,792. The value of property belonging to the borough is £4,365, and nearly £3,000 has been spent on street construction since 1889. There is a funded debt of £3,500 for waterworks purposes, towards which the borough has already £1,500 of accrued sinking fund. There is a general rate of one shilling in the £, a special rate of sixpence, and a water rate of sixpence in the £. The first town clerk was Mr H. Manders, whose successors have been. respectively, Messrs Richardson, J. T. Crofts, W. Donne, C. E. Boyes, and Mr F. W. F. Geisow, who was appointed in June, 1892, died in 1903, and was succeeded by the present holder of the office, Mr Cyril Edwin Gudgeon. The borough of Queenstown is divided into three wards: Lake Ward, which has seventy rateable properties; North Ward, 131; and South Ward, 123; total, 324, including borough and Crown lands. Members of the Council in 1904–5: Mr L. A. Hotop (Mayor), and Messrs M. J. Gavin, F. St. Omer, E. Monson, P. McCarthy, C. D. Dagg, L. J. Lynch, J. A Gardner, J. Edgar and F. McBride, councillors. The Borough Council controls the Athenaeum Public Library, which is domiciled in a good building adjoining the courthouse, with a free reading room.