, which has about 300 inhabitants, is situated on the Oreti river, 136 miles distant from Dunedin, and fifty miles from Invercargill. It is the junction for the Dunedin-Kingston and Invercargill and Mossburn lines of railway. In the early days, the place was known as The Elbow, although Elbow proper was some five miles distant, on the opposite bank of the Oreti. The Government,
finding the two names conflicting, gave the original Elbow the name of Holmsdale, and christened the present township Lumsden, in compliment to Mr George Lumsden, the well-known colonist and public man. The township has three hotels, two blacksmiths' shops, two general stores, two bakeries, a butcher's shop, a bootmaker's shop, and a tailor's shop. The Presbyterian denomination was the first to institute religious services, which were held regularly in the Public Hall, together with a Sunday school for all sects. Later on, the Church of England people provided regular monthly ministrations by a clergyman, with fortnightly services by a lay reader, and successfully established their own Sunday school. Lumsden now has Presbyterian and Anglican churches, and funds are being steadily collected for a Roman Catholic church. The Freemasons, Good Templars, and Oddfellows of the Manchester Unity have lodges in the township. The coach for the Te Anau and Manapouri districts starts from Lumsden twice weekly, from October to March, and once weekly during the other six months. The present mail contractor is Mr J. M. Crosbie, who is also Cook's agent and proprietor of the Railway Hotel. Every care is exercised by him for the comfort of tourists, though the state of the roads in bad weather is a drawback. Travellers, however, find every reasonable attention on their arrival at either end of the route. Lumsden is well provided with mail services, there being three from Invercargill, and one from Dunedin, daily. A great drawback to the township's progress, is that the site has been laid off on an education reserve, and sub-divided into alternate freehold and leasehold sections, so that one cannot acquire more than a quarter-acre of freehold without a leasehold intervening. Lumsden has a good public school with an average attendance of 130 children. The level country in the neighbourhood is bounded on the cast by the Hokonuis, and away in the distance, to the westward, may be seen the snow - capped Takatimos. The land is inferior to that lower down the course of the Oreti river, as there are more shingle deposits. Lumsden township has a railway station and post office combined, and, as the centre of a police sub-district, it has a resident constable,
Lake Wakatipu, From The Domain.
who also acts as clerk of the Stipendiary Magistrate's Court, which meets once a month. There is also a Government stock agent at Lumsden, near which there are extensive pastoral properties. In the early days the old waggon road from Dunedin to the Lakes district passed through Lumsden. The settlement of Balfour is distant ten miles, to the south-east; the old Castle Rock station is three miles away; Longridge estate, six miles; Five Rivers station, eight miles; and Mossburn, the terminus of the Mararoa branch line of railway, is eleven miles distant. The district is partly in the Mararoa riding of the county of Wallace, but mostly in the Oreti riding of the county of Southland. At the census of 1901, the township's population in the former riding was sixty-two, and in the latter 136, with eleven extra in the vicinity. There are also settlers in that part of Lumsden, which is in the Southland county; namely, in the Lumsden extension township, 112; Lumsden south township, 139; Castle Hill, twenty-two; and Lintley Village, fifty-four. The district is partly in the electorate of Wallace, and partly in the electorate of Wakatipu.
, County Serfaceman, Lumsden. Mr Sexton was born in 1849, in Devonshire, England, where he was educated and brought up as a baker. He came out to New Zealand in 1873, by the emigrant ship “Asia,” in which he was engaged as ship's baker. Mr Sexton worked at his trade in Dunedin for eight months, when he removed to South Canterbury, where he engaged in road contract work in the Timaru and Wai-mate districts till 1880. He then removed to Southland, where he was employed for four years in rabbiting at Mararoa and Linwood stations, and afterwards commenced business as a baker in Lumsden. He subsequently relinquished this business, and found employment as a carrier and coal merchant for two years. Mr Sexton was appointed county surfaceman by the Southland County Council, for the Lumsden district in 1896. His district extends from Athol to Nokomai and Lumsden, and in another direction as far as Black bridge, near the Mararoa river. Mr Sexton has served on the Lumsden school committee, and is a member of the Loyal Lumsden Lodge of Oddfellows. He was married, in June, 1894, to a daughter of Mr John Maxwell, of Dumfries, Scotland, and has four sons and two daughters.
Lumsden Post Office And Railway Station
is one of the most important in Southland, being the junction of the Invercargill-Winton and Dunedin-Gore lines. A short branch line runs from Lumsden to Mossburn, a distance of twelve miles, and taps the Mararoa and Western Lakes. The principal exports from Lumsden are wool, grain, rabbits, and dairy produce. The station is well appointed, and contains waiting, refreshment, and reading rooms. It has also an engine shed, stationmaster's residence, and quarters for the employees.
Mr. John Fraser
, Stationmaster and Postmaster at Lumsden, was appointed to the position in 1904. He was born in 1869, at Sydenham, Christchurch, educated in his native town, and entered the railway service as a cadet. He served four years in the railway telegraph office, and five years in the goods department. Then he was appointed stationmaster at Jackson's, on the West Coast, and, three, year later, was transferred to the West Oxford station, Canterbury. Mr Fraser is a member of the New Zealand Railway Officers' Institute, and also of the Lumsden Masonic Lodge. He was married, in 1893, to a daughter of Mr Samuel Campbell Doyle, of Doyleston, Canterbury, and has two daughters and one son.
Mr. George William King
was born in October, 1878, at Caroline, Southland, educated at Lumsden, entered
Mr. G. W. King.
the railway service in September, 1898, and was appointed acting-ganger in 1903. He was married, on the 2nd of October, 1901, to a daughter of Mr Charles Foster, of Invercargill.
Lumsden Public School
was originally conducted by Mr. McPherson, the first master, in the stable-loft of Mr. Fletcher, the pioneer settler of Lumsden, and the owner of the original Elbow Hotel. It now occupies a fine and suitable building. The number of scholars on the roll is about 150, with an average attendance of over 130.
Mr. William Hamilton Clark
, B.A., Headmaster of the Lumsden School, is third
son of Mr. John Clark, of Portobello, Dunedin. He was born in Glasgow, Scotland, where he received his primary education, arrived in New Zealand with his parents by the ship “Jessie Readman” in 1882, and took his degree at the New Zealand University. In 1884 he entered the service of the Southland Board of Education, and was appointed headmaster at the Dipton school, whence he was transferred to Wyndham. He became first assistant at the Central School, Invercargill, and was finally transferred to his present position in 1896. Mr. Clark is an enthusiastic Freemason, and was initiated in Lodge Mokoreta, No. 63, Wyndham, of which he was secretary and junior warden. He afterwards affiliated with Lodge Southern Cross, Invercargill, and was installed worshipful master of that lodge in 1894. He is secretary of the Lumsden lodge, and has acted in a similar capacity for the Southland branch of the Teachers' Institute for many years. Mr. Clark has considerable literary taste, and possesses a valuable library, which contains many works of some rarity.
Miss Jane Hamilton Thomson , Mistress of the Lumsden Public School, was born in Dunedin, where she was educated at the Arthur Street public school and Otago Girls' High School. She served as a pupil teacher at the Union Street school and attended the Normal Training School for two years, when she was appointed sole teacher at Moutere. Miss Thomson was afterwards mistress of the Papa-Raio school for a year and nine months, when she became assistant at the George Street school, Dunedin. After serving in that capacity for four years and a-half, Miss Thomson was appointed to Lumsden in 1901. She is a member of the Southland branch of the New Zealand Educational Institute.
All Saint's Church
. Lumsden, was opened in 1884. It stands on a section of two acres of land. The building is of wood and iron, and has accommodation for 110 persons. A Sunday school, with forty children, is held in the church, under the charge of four teachers. The church is in charge of the Vicar of Winton, and services are held every fortnight.
, M.D., Physician and Surgeon, Lumsden. Dr. Todd is the eldest son of Mr. Thomas Todd, of Waikiwi, an old Otago settler, and received his primary education at the North-East Valley school and in Chicago. After six years' experience as a chemist and druggist—two in Timaru and four in Auckland, in addition to the term of his apprenticeship in Dunedin—he proceeded to the United States and studied medicine at the University of
Southern California and at Coper's Medical College, San Francisco, gaining his degree at the latter institution. After practising at Los Angeles, California, for some time, he returned to New Zealand, securing registration under the Medical Practitioners Act, 1869. In 1896, Dr. Todd commenced practice at Otautau, and is now (1905) settled in Lumsden.
, Commission Agent, Lumsden. Mr Martin, who is Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages for the Lumsden district, is secretary of the Loyal Lumsden Lodge, Manchester Unity, Independent Order of Oddfellows, and secretary of the Lumsden Hack Racing Club. He also holds the local agencies for the Royal Exchange of London Insurance Office (fire), the Australian Widows' Fund Life
Assurance, and for the “Southland Times” Mr Martin was born in 1845 at Hendon, London, and became a pupil - teacher in a Government school. He was afterwards in the service of the Great Western Railway for some years before coming to New Zealand in 1872. After a short period spent in the employment of Messrs Cowper and Wilson, of Invercargill, Mr Martin entered the New Zealand railway service, and was, successively, shipping clerk, goods agent at Invercargill, and stationmaster at Lumsdon. Mr Martin left the railway many years ago, and has since resided at Lumsden, where he carries on business as an accountant and commission agent. He was secretary and treasurer of the local school committee for about fourteen years, and has always taken an active interest in every movement connected with the progress of the district. Mr Martin was married, in 1864, to a daughter of the late Mr John Parrell, maltster, Brentford, England, and has a family of four sons and four daughters. One of the sons was for a time Acting-Quartermaster-Sergeant in the Seventh Contingent, and took part in the Bothasberg engagement.
, Baker and Confectioner, Lumsden. Head office, Invercargill. The Lumsden branch of this business was opened in 1904, and is conducted in commodious premises in Diana Street. A general bakery and confectionery business is carried on, and goods are delivered by cart and rail to all parts of the district. The manager has one assistant.
Mr. Thomas Albert Henry
, the Manager, was born in 1879, at Geelong, Victoria, where he served his time as a baker, and afterwards worked as a journeyman. He came to New Zealand in 1900, and engaged in general work for a year, before entering Mr Pope's bakery business at Invercargill. On the opening of the Lumsden branch in 1904, Mr Henry was sent to take charge. During his residence in Victoria, Mr Henry was an enthusiastic footballer. He is a member of the Acorn Lodge of Druids, Invercargill. Mr Henry was married, in March, 1904, to a daughter of Mr George Morris, dairyman, Invercargill.
, Coachbuilder, Farrier and General Blacksmith, Lumsden. Mr Fraser was born in 1850, in Inverness-shire, Scotland, and was educated at Errogie school, Stratherick. He was brought up as a coachbuilder at Gortherlick, and came out to New Zealand by the ship “Peter Denny,” in 1873. Mr Fraser settled at Switzers, where he worked at his trade till 1885, when he removed to Lumsden and established his present business. Mr Fraser's premises consist of a wood and iron building, with two forges, boring, screwing and other machinery; and all other classes of vehicles are constructed by him. He has made a special study of veterinary surgery, and keeps a large stock of horse and cattle medicines. Mr Fraser is a member of the Lumsden school committee, and of the committee of the Caledonian Society, and, as an Oddfellow, is connected with the Lumsden Lodge. He was married, in 1876, to a daughter of the late Mr Robert Ross, of Otama, and has six sons and four daughters. Mr Fraser's eldest son was for ten years in one of the Government offices in Wellington. His two eldest sons volunteered for service
in South Africa, the first in the Second Contingent, in which he served in the Hotchkiss battery, and the second as farrier-sergeant in the Ninth Contingent.
Riddell, Harry James
, Coal Merchant and Carrier, near the railway station, Lumsden. Mr Riddell was born in 1875, in Roxburghshire, Scotland, and was educated at Boston Grammar School, Lincolnshire, England. He came to New Zealand in 1891, and served as a cadet at Burwood station, Southland, for five
years. In 1896, he settled in Lumsden, and started business as a storekeeper, but afterwards relinquished that for his present business. Mr Riddell was president of the Lumsden Caledonian Society in 1904. As a Freemason, he is connected with the Lumsden Lodge, of which he was Worshipful Master in 1903 and 1904; and as an Oddfellow, he is a Past Grand of the Lumsden Lodge. Mr Riddell was married, in 1897, to a daughter of the late Mr George Bench, Mararoa, and has one son and two daughters.
The Railway Hotel
(Joseph Michael Crosbie, proprietor), Lumsden. This well-known house was established in the early eighties. The original house was destroyed by fire, and was replaced by the present fine brick building. It is two stories in height, and contains twenty-seven rooms, including nineteen bed-rooms, four sitting-rooms, two dining-rooms, also a billiard-room and sample-room. The stables have twenty stalls and five loose-boxes. Mr Crosbie is a coach proprietor and runs two coaches from Lumsden to Lake Manapouri, via Te Anau. The coaches, which carry
The Railway Hotel.
mails, leave Lumsden on Wednesdays and Saturdays in each week, and return on Fridays and Tuesdays. About thirty-five horses are required for the traffic, which is specially busy during the tourist season, from December to February each year.
Mr. Joseph Michael Crosbie
, Hotel and Coach Proprietor, Lumsden, is the eldest son of the late Mr Joseph Nelson Croshie, who conducted the business for some years before his
death in 1899. Mr Crosbie was born in 1878, in Invercargill, educated at Lumsden, and was brought up to his present business by his father. As an Oddfellow, he is a member of the Lumsden Lodge, Manchester Unity. Mr Crosbie was married, in May, 1902, to a daughter of Mr Dennis Maloney, of the Commercial Hotel, Lawrence, and has one son.
, Saddler and Harness Maker, Lumsden. Mr Payne was born in December, 1880, at Caroline, Southland, and was educated at Fernhills. He was brought up to the saddlery business at Centre Bush, and in 1902, he removed to Lumsden, where he set up in business for himself. Mr Payne's premises consist of a wood and iron building, containing shop and dwelling. He is a member of the Loyal Lumsden Lodge of Oddfellows, and of the Lumsden Racing Club.
Reid And Brook
(Thomas Reid and Arthur Harford Brook), Wool Scourers and Wool Classers, Lumsden. This firm was established in 1899. Its works occupy a site of five acres of leasehold land on the banks of the Lumsden Creek, and the buildings, which are of wood and iron, contain the usual plant and machinery required in the trade.
Mr. Thomas Reid
, Senior Partner of the firm of Reid and Brook, was born in 1858, in Lanarkshire, Scotland. In 1859, he was brought to New Zealand by his parents in the ship “Victory,” and was brought up to farming in the Tokomairiro district. He was afterwards employed in the wool business for five years by Mr Thomas Holt and Mr James Scanlan, now woolbrokers, of Milton, and settled at Lumsden in 1887. Mr Reid's residence stands on a freehold section of two acres and a-half, on a knoll overlooking the township. Mr Reid has served as a member of the Lumsden school committee, and is connected with the Loyal Lumsden Lodge of Oddfellows, in which he has passed all the chairs. He was married, on the 3rd of December, 1887, to a daughter of Mr Samuel Paddon, of Lumsden, and has two sons and four daughters.
Johnson, George Frederick
, J.P., General Storekeeper, Lumsden. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr Johnson was born within the sound of Bow Bells in London, and was apprenticed to his father's trade as boiler-maker, but left before completing his apprenticeship. In 1874, he arrived at Port Chalmers by the ship “Buckinghamshire.” He spent a few months at the Roundhill goldfields, near Riverton, and was for eight years employed on the late Hon. Matthew Holmes' estate of Castlerock, as storekeeper. On leaving Castlerock, he was presented by his fellow employees with a hunting lever watch and gold chain, as a mark of esteem. After that, he followed the occupation of a wool-classer, and, later, worked and owned a threshing mill. Mr Johnson started in business in Lumsden in 1877, and now owns one of the finest stores in the
district. He is agent for the National Mutual Life Association Company, Shacklock's Orion Range, Nelson Moate and Co., and other firms. Mr
Johnson is an energetic citizen, and was for years a member of the Wallace Licensing Committee, but, owing to the alteration of the boundaries,
was elected for the Wakatipu Committee. He is also a member of the Lumsden Domain Board, and, as a Freemason, is a Past Grand Steward of the Grand Lodge of New Zealand He has been secretary of Lodge Taringatura, No. 100, New Zealand Constitution, Lumsden. Mr Johnson has held the position of Worshipful Master on two occasions; namely, under the Scottish Constitution in 1889, and under the New Zealand Constitution in 1898; and on each occasion he was presented with a handsome jewel and liquer stand. On leaving the secretary's office, he was presented with a handsome secretary's jewel, as a mark of esteem from the brethren, and in recognition of his services. In 1887, Mr Johnson married a daughter of the late Mr John Ennis Pickens, a native of Victoria. Mr Pickens was a much respected Freemason, and a Past Master of Lodge Taringatura. Mr and Mrs Johnson have five sons and four daughters, all thoroughly healthy; and Mr Johnson does not personally see that there is any need to continue immigration to New Zealand.
, General Storekeeper, Lumsden. This business was established in the seventies, and has been conducted by the present proprietor
since 1894. The premises consist of a two-storey wood and iron building, containing a double-fronted shop, with a residence at the back, and a large general stock is kept. The proprietor is agent for the North British Insurance Company. Mr McFetridge was born in the north of Ireland, in 1854; was educated near Belfast, and was brought up on his father's farm. In 1875, he came out to New Zealand by the ship “Timaru,” and settled in Southland, where he engaged in contracting and cropping until he acquired his present business. As an Oddfellow, Mr McFetridge is connected with the Lumsden Lodge, of which he is a trustee; and he is also a Freemason. Mr McFetridge was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1899. He was married, in 1886, to a daughter of Mr John Dagg, of Lumsden.
, Farmer, Oreti Island and Dane's Paddock, Waimea Plains, Lumspen. Mr. Small was born at the Bridge of Earn, Perthshire, Scotland, in 1850, and emigrated to New Zealand, in 1870, by the ship “E. P. Bouverie.” On arrival at Port Chalmers, he obtained employment with Mr. Joseph Culling, farmer, at Moeraki. He afterwards engaged in gold-digging at “Twelve Mile,” near Queenstown, where he remained for some years. Subsequently, he settled at Lumsden, where he engaged in dairy farming and contracting. Mr. Small purchased his present properties in 1892, and has since that time been successfully carrying on dairying and mixed farming on his six hundred acres of fine arable land. He uses an Alexandra cream-separator, with which he produces butter of the primest quality and for which he finds a demand as far as Skipper's diggings, in the Lake district. Mr. Small is a prominent member of the Independent Order of Oddfellows, Manchester Unity, and district lodge deputy of the Independent Order of Good Templars. He is also an elder in the Presbyterian church, and chairman of the Lumsden school committee. Mr. Small was married, in 1875, to Miss Alice Howorth, and has a family of fourteen children.