The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
The Riverton Borough Council
The Riverton Borough Council came into existence in 1871, and exercises control over the oldest town in Southland. The town is situated in a very healthy locality, and is well patronised by tourists; splendid roads —making cycling enjoyable—connect Riverton with the metropolis of Southland and the surrounding districts. At the cansus of 1901, Riverton had 240 dwelling houses, and 225 ratepayers. The rateable value of the property was £4,246; and the town's endowments had an area of 3,368 acres. The present loans, including that in connection with the harbour, amount to £3,400. In recent years a number of buildings in the town have been destroyed by five, and not rebuilt. The first mayor was the late well-known politican and divine, Mr Lachlan McGillivray, and the members of the first council, who were elected in 1871, were Messrs Instone, McDonald, Mills, Murchie, Frew and Beer. Members for 1904: Mayor, Mr J. C. Thomson, M.H.R.: councillors, Messrs W. R. Pankhurst, J. Robinson, J. Lyle, W. E. Blackmore, J. Lockett, E. H. Smythies, H. Akhurst, and P. Welch.