is in the electorate of Awarua and in the riding of the same name in the county of Southland. The local post office, which is conducted at a store at the corner where the main north road crosses the roads leading to Dacre and Riverton respectively, is five miles from Invercargill by a good road, four miles of which are traversed by the Invercargill and Suburban Tram Company's line. The cross-roads in question are often spoken of as Wallacetown Crossing. The township of Wallacetown is three miles distant, but the railway station of the same name is quite near, and alongside the railway station are the Wallacetown Junction saleyards, where large stock sales are conducted every alternate Tuesday. There is a hotel alongside the railway station, and the Southland Frozen Meat Company's slaughtering and manure works also adjoin the railway. On the main road, not far from the cross-roads, stands Lorne farm, one of the most notable charitable institutions in Southland. As a district Lorne is devoted to agriculture and dairy farming. The district is fairly level though somewhat undulating, and contains some good agricultural and pastoral land.
is one of the institutions managed by the Southland Hospital and Charitable Aid Board. The establishment was opened on the 29th of June, 1899, as an Old Men's Home, but was enlarged in 1902 by the addition of another wing, to provide accommodation for old women and children. The original building, which was of one storey, contained two bedrooms, and a sitting-room for the men, besides a dining-room, three bathrooms, a storeroom, a kitchen, a scullery, a drying-room and washhouse, and four rooms for the master and matron. The accommodation was sufficient for twenty-three inmates, besides officers and assistants. The new addition is a two-storey brick building, and contains, on the first floor, girls' and boys' bedrooms, each with twenty beds; a female domitory, with six beds; a sick room, with two beds, besides two servants' rooms, and a linen press. On the ground floor there is a nursery, with nine cots, and accommodation for two attendants; separate rooms for the boys and girls; a sewing-room, kitchen and pantry, four bathrooms, the master's office, and the conservatory. There is an asphalt playground with shelter sheds, and other buildings, including an engine-room, pump-house, store-room, chaff-house, carpenter's shop, a loft, and dairy, all in brick. There are also stables, byres, and pigsties. The land, which was originally known as Lorne estate, contains ninety-five acres, five of which are in garden and orchard; the balance is laid down in grass, or is used for cropping as required. In November, 1903, the inmates in the institution numbered sixty-four, including twenty men, three women, twenty-four boys and seventeen girls, the cost of whose maintenance was 4s 10d a head per week. The produce of the farm, besides supplying the requirements of the institution, is a source of revenue to the Board; and the surplus sold during the year which ended in March, 1903, realised £180. The institution is under the care of a master and matron.
Mr. Arthur Cusworth
, Master of Lorne Farm, was born near Barnsley, England, in 1852. Mr Cusworth started work at the Barnsley iron works at the age of twelve years, and
was afterwards employed as a gardener. He arrived at Port Chalmers by the ship “Waipa,” in 1879, accompanied by his wife, and on the 1st of
December, of the same year, Mr and Mrs Cusworth became assistant master and matron at the Caversham Industrial School. Mr Cusworth
shortly afterwards removed to Cromwell, where he was engaged in gold mining till April, 1883. He then settled in Invercargill, where, after being employed for some years in farming and bacon-curing, he opened a fruit shop in Tay Street, and carried on business for nine years. On the opening of Lorne Farm, Mr. Cusworth was selected out of fifty-three applicants for the position of master of the institution. As an Oddfellow, he has been a member of the Pioneer Lodge, since 1888, was elected trustee in 1893, and has passed all the chairs. He has twice held office as District Deputy, and was representative of the Grand Lodge at Temuka. Mr Cusworth was married, in 1874, to a daughter of the late Mr William Brown, of Invercargill, and has one son, who is a music teacher in Invercargill.
, Farmer, “Auchtertyre,” Lorne. Mr Finlayson was born at Shoalhaven, New South Wales, and came to New Zealand at an early age with his father. He was educated at Invercargill and
Wallacetown, and has farmed on his own account since 1878. In 1903, Mr Finlayson was chairman of the Makarewa branch of the Farmers' Union. He was married, in 1895, to a daughter of the late Mr. Kenneth McKenzie, of Myross Bush, and has five daughters and one son.
, Farmer and Stockdealer, Lorne. Mr Russell farms twenty-five acres of freehold on the North Road, also 100 acres leased from the adjoining estate of his late father; and, in addition to these holdings, he has 300 acres of freehold at Makarewa. He engages in mixed farming, and is well known throughout Southland as a large dealer in stock; and he has recently formed a herd of purebred Shorthorns. Mr Russell was born in 1871, in Invercargill, and educated at Fortrose and Waianiwa. His father, the late Mr. John Russell, was considered the best judge of horses in Southland, and he
was himself a noted breeder. The progeny of the horses he imported are well known throughout the Middle Island, and he often acted as a judge at the principal shows, from Invercargill to Christchurch. In 1904, Mr Robert Russell commenced farming on his own account, and four years later bought his land at Makarewa. As a volunteer, Mr Russell served for six years in the Southland Mounted Rifles, and rose, successively, to the ranks of sergeant-major and lieutenant. He is an energetic member of the local Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and has for nine years acted as steward in the roadster classes. Mr Russell has been twice married; in 1893, to Miss Utting, of Waianiwa, who died on the 2nd of October, 1898, leaving two sons and one daughter; and in 1898, to Miss Wilson, of Owaka, who has borne him three daughters.
Mr Kenneth Finlayson
, One Of The Pioneer Settlers Of The Lorne District, Built His Homestead And Entered Into Occupation Of His Land In 1860. He Was Born, In 1800, At “Auchtertyre,” Ross-Shire, Scotland, But Left Home For The Colonies In 1837. He Sailed For New South Wales In A Small Vessel Of Three Hundred Tons, Which,
However, Carried, 360 Passengers. Mr Finlaysen Subsequently Came To New Zealand On Account Of His Health, And Took Up Land At Lorne. He Was Married,
in 1836, to a daughter of the late Mr Murdo McRae, of Allta-na-Suth, Ross-shire, Scotland, and at his death left three sons and three daughters.