The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Dacre is a farming district five miles from Woodlands railway station on the Dunedin road, and nine miles from the Edendale railway station. The road continues through the district to Mataura, eighteen miles distant, and branches off to the left to Mabel Bush, which is six miles away. Dacre public school is conducted in a building originally erected as an hotel, and is attended by about thirteen children, on an average. The postal department has been represented at the house of one of the local residents since the eighties, and two mails are received and despatched, each week. Dacre district is partly in the Hokonui, and partly in the Waihopairiding of the county of Southland. The population in the former riding was twelve, and in the latter thirty-one in the township, and fifteen in the vicinity, at the census of 1901. Dacre is in the electoral district of Mataura. Woodstock estate, in the immediate neighbourhood, has within recent years been cut up for closer settlement, and this has led to a steady increase in population. No church services are held in the district, and the settlers have to go to Woodlands for the purpose of public worship.
Mr. P. W. Lee.
Henderson, Thomas , Farmer, Dacre. Mr Henderson was born in 1868, at Myross Bush, where he was educated and brought up to farming by his father, the late Mr John Henderson. In 1895, he bought 222 acres of freehold, part of the Morton Mains estate at Dacre. The property was then chiefly in its native state, but has since been brought into a fine state of cultivation. As a Forester, Mr Henderson is a member of Court Star of the Forest, Woodlands. He was married, in 1902, to a daughter of Mr Duncan McDermid, of Waianiwa.
Wilson Brothers (James Peter Wilson, and Thomas Kerr Wilson), Farmers, Dacre. The property of Messrs Wilson Brothers consists of 402 acres of freehold. It is worked as a general farm, and, with the exception of fifty acres, has all been broken up.
Mr. James Peter Wilson , Senior Partner of the firm of Wilson Brothers, is a son of Mr Thomas Wilson, of Oporo, and was born in 1874. He was educated at Waianiwa and in Invercargill, and was brought up to farming. In November, 1899, he was joined by his brother, and acquired part of Morton Mains estate at Dacre. As an Oddfellow, Mr Wilson is a member of Loyal St. George Lodge, Invercargill. Mr Wilson takes a keen interest in sports; is a cyclist and athlete, and plays football and cricket. He has served on the Dacre school committee, of which he was at one time chairman. Mr Wilson was married, in 1901, to a daughter of Mr John Bell, of the Land Transfer Office, Invercargill, but she died in 1902, leaving one daughter.
Woodstock Estate . This place is picturesquely situated about six miles from the Woodlands railway station, on the main line to Invercargill. Originally the property comprised 2,500 acres of freehold and 4,000 acres of leasehold. A mixed system of farming was adopted, such as the cultivation of oats, turnips, and grass seed, etc. Mr Wallis also grazed a flock of 2,000 sheep, including a stud of 500 Romney Marsh rams and ewes, besides 250 head of Polled Angus cattle. In former years, Mr Wallis invariably exhibited some of his celebrated herd at the Dunedin, Christchurch, Wellington, and Invercargill shows, and was very successful, particularly in the female classes, and for years one of his cows gained the champion prize at the Dunedin show. He also successfully exhibited his Romney Marsh rams at the New South Wales Sheep Breeders' Association's shows in Sydney, where he gained first prize for ewe, and second prize for rams, defeating exhibitors from all parts of Australia and New Zealand. Since then the estate has been cut up for closer settlement.
Mr. A. R. Wallis.