The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Blacksmiths, Iron Founders, Etc
Blacksmiths, Iron Founders, Etc.
Dunlop, R. And A. , (Robert Taylor Dunlop, and Alee Douglas Dunlop), Veterinary Farriers, Dee Street, Invercargill. This well-known business was established in 1862 by the late Mr. Andrew Dunlop, father of the present partners, and has been conducted in Dee Street since 1900. The premises comprise a large smith's shop with two forges.
Mr. Robert Taylor Dunlop , the Senior Partner, was born in 1875, and was brought up to his father's business from the age of fourteen. He is a member of the Southland Mounted Rifles, and holds office as Honorary Veterinary Surgeon to the corps; he is also a successful shot in the Invercargill Gun Club, and has won several local matches. Mr. Dunlop is attached to the Pioneer Lodge, Independent Order of Foresters. He was married, in 1901, to a daughter of Mr. John McIntosh, of West Plains, and has one son.
Mr. Alec Douglas Dunlop , the Junior Partner, was born at Invercargill in 1877, and, like his brother, was brought up to his father's business. Mr. Dunlop is a member of the Invercargill Homing Pigeon Society.
Findlay, Thomas , Blacksmith and Wheelwright, Corner of Dee and Yarrow Streets, Invercargill. This business was established in 1867 by Messrs Anderson and Findlay, and has been conducted solely by Mr. Findlay since his partner's death in 1891.
Mr. Thomas Findlay was born in 1832 in Wigtonshire, Scotland, and learned the trade of a wheelwright in his native country. In 1864 he landed at the Bluff by the ship “Arima,” and has ever since been connected with Southland. In 1867 he became a member of the firm of Anderson and Findlay, blacksmiths and wheelwrights, and has since been actively engaged in that business, Mr. Findlay was Mayor of East Invercargill for three years, served previously for a number of years as a councillor, and was for seventeen years a member of the Hospital Board. He is a Past Master in the Masonie Order and is attached to Lodge St. John. He joined the Oddfellows in 1875, and is a member of Shamrock, Rose and Thistle Lodge, in which he has thrice passed all the chairs; is a Past Provincial Grand Master of the Order, and District Treasurer, in connection with which he has had many recognitions. Mr. Findlay was married, in 1863, to a daughter of the late Mr. Robert Cumming, of Ayrshire, Scotland, and has had seven sons and five daughters, of whom one son and two daughters are dead.
Invercargill Foundry (James Macalister, proprietor), Dee Street, Invercargill. This foundry was established by Mr. Jabez Hay in Tweed Street, and is said to have been the first foundry in Invercargill. The premises include a handsome brick showroom, fronting Dee Street, and devoted to the machinery branch of the business; and there is an office in the same connection. The foundry itself is a large iron building, which extends back towards Leven Street. It contains a moulding department and an engineering shop, where there is a large plant, including three forges, shearing, and boring machines, and every appliance needed in an effective manufacturing trade.
Mr. James Macalister , proprietor of the Invercargill Foundry, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1869. At the age of ten he landed at the Bluff with his father's family, by the ship “Peter Denny.” He served an apprenticeship in Invercargill, and gained experience in Melbourne at the time of the exhibition in 1888, when he represented the Walter a. Wood Company, and erected all that firm's exhibits. On returning to Invercargill, he commenced business in Leven Street, and three years later he sold out to Mr. Walter Guthrie, and the business became the nucleus of the Southland Implement and Engineering Company. Of this well-known company, Mr. Macalister became manager, and held the position for ten years. In 1900 he resigned, and put in a tender for the construction of 500 railway waggons. Though he was the lowest tenderer, Mr. Macalister received an order for only 100 waggons. He then took the Invercargill Foundry, and completed the order within twelve months. Finding the premises insufficient, he secured a site and built his present premises in Dee Street and Leven Street. Mr. Macalister is the inventor and patentee of a colonial drill and other machines. He maintains a stock of farming implements, as agent for several manufacturing firms. Mr. Macalister was married, in 1897, to Miss Tindall, M.A., of Willowbank, Sydenbam, Christchurch, who was a teacher at the Christ-church Girls' High School, and has one daughter.
Lockhead's Universal Supply Depot (Robert Lockhead, proprietor), Southland branch, Tay Street, Invercargill; Head office, Dunedin. The Southland branch of this business was established in 1884, and is conducted in a two-storey brick building, containing a large showroom and an office on the ground floor, and a showroom above; with the wholesale store on the opposite page 845 side of the street. The proprietor is an extensive importer, and is the New Zealand representative for the Wertheim Sewing Machine. He is also a manufacturer of various specialties. The stock includes go-carts, wringers, mangles, knife-cleaners, washing machines, etc. Seven persons are employed, and three travellers visit the country districts of Southland.
Mr. S. V. Dyer.
Smith, David Arnot , Mechanical Engineer, Ythan Street, Invercargill. Mr. Smith was born in 1832, in Forfarshire, Scotland, and was brought up as a millwright and house builder, and had five years' experience in Victoria. He arrived at Port Chalmers in 1862 by the ship “Aldinga,” and after some experience in gold mining, settled at Invercargill, where he started the first woodware factory. About 1870 he erected another large factory in Nith Street, and worked it till 1887, when he sold it to Messrs Guthrie and Larnach. He was employed by Mr. Cruikshank to fit up his original twine spinning plant at the Rosedale Mill. Mr. Smith has a well-fitted workshop, and his services are constantly in requisition in connection with machinery. He has been prominent in connection with Friendly Societies, has been Chief Ruler in the Order of Rechabites, and has passed the local chairs and the district chairs in the Shamrock, Rose and Thistle Lodge of Oddfellows, Manchester Unity.
Walker, John And Son (James Walker), Iron Founders, Vulcan Foundry, Clyde Street, Invercargill. This business was founded by the present proprietor in conjunction with his father, Mr. John Walker, in 1891. The buildings, which are of wood, are erected on a section of half-an-acre. Besides the foundry, the premises comprise a showroom, a patternroom and an office; and full appliances, including grinding, polishing and boring machines, are available for the purposes of the business. A gas engine of ten horse power is used at the works, and twelve persons find regular employment. The special lines manufactured at the foundry are ranges, grates, and architectural iron work. Mr. Walker is further referred to as a Freemason connected with Lodge St. John.
Yarrow Street Engineering Works , (John Kennedy Jamieson, proprietor), Yarrow Street, Invercargill. These works were founded in 1886, and the premises consist of a two-storey brick building, with the moulding departments at the back, the erecting shop in front, and the pattern shop and office on the first floor. The plant consists of a stationary engine of six horse power, with lathes, punching, shearing, and boring machines, steam hammer, and all necessary appliances for- conducting a large business. From six to twelve men are employed, according to the amount of work in hand.
Mr. John Kennedy Jamieson , the Proprietor, was born in 1817, in Edinburgh, Scotland, and was educated at Kelso. He was brought up to the trade of an engineer in Edinburgh and Glasgow, and served as an engineer for four years on the White Star line of steamers, and for six years on the Pacific line, before coming to New Zealand, via Melbourne, in 1878. For eight years after settling in Invercargill, Mr. Jamieson was employed by Mr. Murdoch, sawmiller, and in 1886 founded his present business in Yarrow Street. Before leaving the Old Country he served as a volunteer for some time at Hawick, near Edinburgh, He has been a member of the Clifton school committee, and is attached to the Victoria Lodge of Freemasons, Irish Constitution, of which he is chaplain, and also a Past Master. Mr. Jamieson was married, in 1863. to a daughter of the late Mr. Alexander Fraser, of Edinburgh, and has two sons and two daughters.