The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Builders, Contractors, Etc
Builders, Contractors, Etc,
Denly, B. And Company (Bernard Denly), Builder and Contractor, Yarrow Street, Invercargill, and at North Invercargill. This business was established by Mr. Denly on his arrival in New Zealand in 1890. He has a shop and residence in North Invercargill, as well as the principal shop in Yarrow Street. During his experience as a builder he has erected a considerable number of buildings in Southland. Mr. Denly is further referred to as member of the North Invercargill Borough Council.
Howie, Joseph Colquhoun , Builder, North End, Invercargill. Mr. Howie was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1854, and was brought up as a house builder and joiner; although he had previously served four years at paper staining, with Messrs Wylie and Lockhead, a large firm near Glasgow. In 1880 he arrived at the Bluff, and worked for a while as a journeyman; but in 1883, he started business on his own account, and has ever since been engaged as a master builder. Besides numerous private houses, Mr. Howie has built the Bluff Harbour Board offices; the Old Men's Home at Lorne Farm; the Salvation Army Barracks; the Quarantine Building at the Bluff; Neil's Buildings in Dee Street, and he is now (1904) building the Invercargill Town Hall and Theatre—the largest building contract let in Southland. Mr. Howie was for one year Mayor of South Invercargill, and was on the Hospital Trust for four or five years. He is one of the oldest Past Chief Rangers in Court Star of the South, Ancient Order of Foresters.
Mr. J. C. Howie.
Smith, Andrew , Carpenter, Crinan Street, Invercargill. Mr. Smith was born in 1867, in Hamilton, Scotland, and came to Port Chalmers, with his parents, by the ship “Jessie Readman” in 1874. He served his apprenticeship as a carpenter, afterwards had six years' experience at flour milling, and was then for several years employed at the wood-ware factory. Mr. Smith served in the Grammar School Cadets and he has been a member of the South School committee since 1900. He has passed all the chairs in the Shamrock, Rose and Thistle Lodge of Oddfellows, Manchester Unity, and is connected with the Pirates'. Football Club, and the Star Cricket Club. Mr. Smith was married, in 1894, to a daughter of Mr. Charles Kearsley, of Invercargill, and has three daughters and two sons.
Walker, John, And Son , Builders, Invercargill. This business was established in 1900, and the firm has erected several public and private buildings, including the new Charitable Aid Board buildings in Invercargill and McWilliam's Buildings at Winton.
Mr. John Walker was born in Dalziel, Lanarkshire, Scotland, in 1840, and came to the Bluff by the ship “Storm Cloud” in 1862. Ever since his arrival he has been engaged in contracting and building—part of the time alone and part of the time as a partner in the respective firms of Walker and Garmson, and Miller, Murray and Walker. He assisted to erect the first railway station at the Bluff, the post and telegraph office at Mataura, and all the railway stations between Gore and Invercargill. The Riverton railway was completed by him and his partners, and also the ballasting, platelaying, and buildings on the Kelso to Heriot railway. Mr. Walker helped to erect the main portion of the South Seas Exhibition building in Dunedin. He has been twice married, and there is a family of four sons and five daughters by the first marriage.
Mr. J. Walker, Junr.
Mr. J. Walker, Senr.
Mr. John Walker , Junior, was born at Invercargill in 1874, and after leaving school was trained as a builder. In the absence of his father in the Old Country in 1903, he managed the business. Mr. Walker is a member of the Battalion Band, and attended the Band Contest held at Masterton in 1903. He is a member of Lodge Aparima, Otautau, American Order of Foresters. Mr. Walker was married, in 1899, to a daughter of Mr. C. Mannix, farmer, Duntroon.
Woods, George , Contracting Builder, Spey Street, Invercargill. Mr. Woods was born in County Galway, Ireland, in 1852, and left for New Zealand in 1859 by the “Sevilla,” which landed at Port Chalmers. He was educated in Milton, where his father had a farm, and in 1870 was apprenticed to his trade in Dunedin. After working for some years as a journeyman he gave up his trade, for twelve years, during which he followed various occupations, including hotel-keeping at Riverton, and storekeeping at Wilson's river. In 1900 he removed to Invercargill, and since then he has carried on business as a contracting builder. Mr. Woods was married, in 1878, to a daughter of the late Mr. John Hatser, of County Louth, Ireland, and has seven daughters and three sons.