The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
The Invercargill Supreme Court building is also used for the sittings of the District Court and the Stipendiary Magistrate's Court. The building is of two stories and stands in Tay Street. The Supreme Court room is on the first floor of the building, and quarterly sittings in civil and criminal jurisdiction are held by Mr. Justice Williams. The District Court, which sits every two months, also holds its sittings in the Supreme Court room, under Judge Ward. The-Magistrates' Court is on the ground floor of the building, together with the offices of the Magistrate, of the Registrar of the Supreme Court, and Clerk of the District Court, and Magistrate's Court, and the bailiff's room. Mr. S. E. McCarthy is Stipendiary Magistrate and Warden, Mr. J. R. Colyer, Registrar and Clerk. Mr. H. J. Dixon, Deputy Registrar, and Mr. A. Brandford, Bailiff.
Mr. James Roland Colyer , Registrar of the Supreme Court, Clerk of the District and Stipendiary Magistrate's Courts, and of the Licensing Committee, Returning Officer and Sheriff, is an able and courteous officer. He was born at Beaufort, Victoria, in 1856, and was educated at the Church of England Grammar School, Melbourne, and in Invercargill. At an early age he came to Invercargill with his father, the late Mr. James Colyer, who was one of the pioneer settlers of Southland. Mr. Colyer subsequently visited America, and remained in that country three years, during which he followed various occupations. In 1879 he joined the Department of Justice as assistant clerk of the Magistrate's Court, Invercargill, and in 1884 was transferred to Ashburton, as clerk of the District and Magistrate's Court; these positions he filled for thirteen years, and was then reappointed to Invercargill. During his term of service, Mr. Colyer has been presented on two occasions with a purse of sovereigns. Before leaving America in 1879 he married Miss Vaughn, who was connected with the old Virginian and Kentucky families. This lady died some years afterwards in New Zealand, and Mr. Colyer subsequently married Mrs Prichard, relict of Mr. L. E. Prichard, of Hawera.
Hall. Stout, And Lillicrap (W. Y. H. Hall. W. A. Stout, and J. F. Lillicrap), Barristers and Solicitors, Esk Street, Invercargill. This firm was formed in 1901, by the union of the businesses carried on by Mr. W. Y. H. Hall for many years, and that carried on by Messrs Stout and Lillicrap since 1898.
Mr. J. Harvey.
Mr. C. S. Longuet.
Rattray, Robert Henry , B.A. LL.B., Barrister and Solicitor, Esk Street, Invercargill. Mr. Rattray was born in Auckland in 1858, and completed his education at the Auckland College and Grammar School. He took his B.A. degree in 1878 and LL.B. degree in 1880, was admitted to the Supreme Court by late Judge Richmond, and in 1880 commenced practice in Invercargill in conjunction with Mr. P. T. Finn, a Victorian barrister. The partnership continued until 1889. when Mr. Rattray purchased his partner's interest, and has since continued for himself.
Mr. F. V. Raymond.
Watson, John Lachlan Me-Gillivray (late McNab and Watson), Barrister and Solicitor, Esk Street, Invercargill. The firm of McNab and Watson was founded in 1890, but Mr. Watson has carried on the practice singly since 1896. Mr. Watson is solicitor in Invercargill for the Bank of New South Wales, and for some well-known firms and companies. He was born at Invercargill, in 1864, and is a son of the late Mr. Thomas Watson, for many years manager at Invercargill of the Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Watson was educated at Invercargill, and at the Otago High School. Dunedin. He was articled to Mr. T. M. Macdonald, of Invercargill, Crown Prosecutor, and admitted to the Bar by Mr. Justice Williams in 1888. Mr. Watson is a member of the Board of Governors of the Southland Boys' and Girls' High School. As a Freemason he is attached to Lodge Southern Cross.