, Professor of Music, Esk Street, Invercargill. Private residence, Jed Street. Mr. Gray arrived in Invercargill, in 1885, from London, where he was born and received
his musical training. He was appointed organist and choirmaster of St. Paid's Presbyterian church in 1886, and in 1889 he accepted an engagement at St. John's Anglican church, and still holds it. Mr. Gray held both appointments for about two years, and carried out the duties at both churches, with the assistance of Miss Findlay. After giving a series of concerts on his own account, Mr. Gray was appointed conductor of the Choral and Orchestral Unions, which are now incorporated into one Society—the Invercargill Musical Union, which is now (1904) entering on its fourteenth
year of usefulness. It has successfully performed Handel's “Messiah,” “Acis and Galatea.” “Judas Maccabaeus,” Mendelssohn's “Hymn of Praise,” “St. Paul” and “Elijah,” Haydn's “Creation,” Bennett's “May Queen,” Gaul's “Joan of Arc,” Cowan's “Rose Maiden,” and “St. John's Eve,” Gade's '“Spring's Message,” “Erl King's Daughter,” Stanford's “Phaudrig Crohoore,” Barnett's “Ancient Mariner,” besides minor works and selections. The orchestral concerts have also been most successful, and draw large audiences. In 1896 Mr. Gray was appointed local Secretary to Trinity College, London. His studio is one of the most commodious and best appointed in New Zealand, and for nineteen years he has enjoyed the confidence and good-will of the entire musical community. Mr. Gray is ably assisted in his work by his pupils, Miss M. T. Crofts and Miss Churton.
Wood, Mrs C.
, Teacher of Music, formerly of Invercargill. This lady is a daughter of Mr. T. Lack, professor of music, Dunedin. She studied the pianoforte under Mr. Joseph Moss, and the violin under her father and several professors who visited the city. Mrs Wood was leader of the Invercargill Orchestral Society, and accompaniste at leading concerts. She was trained in voice-production and singing by Signor Carmini Morley.