The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Members Of The Legislative Council
Members Of The Legislative Council.
The Hon. Henry Feldwick was called to the Legislative Council in 1892. He was one of the dozen members who were first appointed for a term of seven years, and who were humourously known as the “Twelve Apostles.” At the end of his first term in 1899, Mr. Feldwick was recalled by the Seddon Ministry for a second term. Mr. Feldwick entered Parliament as member for Invercargill in the House of Representatives, in 1878, at a by-election. In 1879 he was defeated, but was returned again at the general election in 1881. Mr. Feldwick was again defeated in 1884, but was once more returned for the seat in 1887. In 1890 he was unsuccessful at the polls. Mr. Feldwick was born at Norwood, Surrey, England, in 1844, and arrived with his parents in Canterbury in 1858, and was brought up to farming by his father at Kaiapoi. He afterwards became representative in North Canterbury for the “Lyttelton Times,” and in that way gained his first experiences in newspaper work. Two years later he was appointed subeditor of the “Timaru Herald,” and at the end of 1871 he again joined the staff of the “Lyttelton Times,” and had charge of the “Star” and “Canterbury Times” newspapers. Mr. Feldwick removed to Invercargill in 1876, and became a partner in the “Southland Daily News,” with which he has ever since been closely associated. He served for three years as a member of the Southland Board of Education. For some years he has been Mayor of the borough of Avenal, and has acted as a Visiting Justice of the Invercargill goal. As a Freemason he was the first Master of Lodge St. John, Scottish Constitution, and the first Senior Warden of the Grand Lodge of New Zealand. Mr. Feldwick served for twenty-two years as a volunteer, and retired in May, 1903, with the rank of colonel. In 1900 he was awarded the Imperial Officers' decoration, V.D. Mr. Feldwick long took a prominent part in musical matters in Invercargill and frequently gave his services as a bass singer in connection with concerts for charitable and other purposes. Mr. Feldwick was married in February, 1882, and has one son and three daughters.
The Hon. Alfred Baldey was called to the Legislative Council on the 18th of March, 1903. He had long been connected with local public affairs in Southland and served for seventeen years on the County Council, fourteen years on the Bluff Harbour Board, seven years on the Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, and twenty-six years on the Education Board. He was at various times chairman of all these public bodies; he had also served for many years as a member of the Southland Land Board, and the Otago School Commissioners. Mr. Baldey was born at Brighton, Sussex, England, in 1836; was educated at Brotherhood Hall Grammar School, Steyning; went to Victoria in 1852, and returned to England in 1859; and arrived in Otago, New Zealand, in 1861. He took up land at Ryal Bush. Southland, where he has been engaged in farming for nearly forty years. Mr. Baldey was married, in 1861, to a daughter of the late Mr. James Laing, of Waianiwa, Southland, and has a grown-up family of three sons and four daughters.