, in the county of Tuaptka, is one of the oldest gold mining townships in Otago. It is situated on the Milton-Lawrence line of railway, fifty-three miles from Dunedin, and seven miles from Lawrence, and stands fit an altitude of 331 feet above the level of the sea. Gold dredging is carried on with some success, and a number of settlors are engaged in farming. Waitahuna—which is the Maori name for “Valley of Water”—has a post and telegraph office, with money order and savings bank departments; a branch of the Bank of New Zealand, a public school, churches, two hotels, and stores. Mails are received from and despatched to Dunedin twice daily.
The Waitatiuna Public School
was established In 1875, when the gold mining industry was at its height. It is built of wood and has three class-rooms, one of which is used as a library. This contains over 900 volumes, for the use of the pupils and public, and the headmaster acts as honorary librarian. The grounds surrounding the school are planted with macrocarpa and other pines, which afford shelter from wind and sun.
Mr. John Hunter Patrick
, Headmaster of the Waitahmm Public School, was born in Dunedin, in 1851, and was educated at the Dunedin High School, under Mr. Alexander Livingston, its first headmaster. He afterwards studied under Professors Shand, Sale, Black, and Hutton, at the
Otngo University. Mr. Patrick's first school was at Papakaio, but, after remaining there for two years, he returned to the University for another year's course. Subsequently, he joined Mr. Barrett at the Dunedin Collegiate School, where he taught for ten years, during the latter half of that period as principal. On the Introduction of the present national education system in New Zealand—free, secular, and compulsory—Mr. Patrick, took charge of the Government school at Mount Stewart, and, alter filling that position for nearly four years, was for eighteen months at the Taieri Ferry school, The headmastership of the Waitahuna school being vacant, in 1883, Mr. Patrick applied for and obtained the appointment. He also holds the office of Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages for the district. As a Volunteer, Mr. Patrick was captain of the Waltahuna Rifles from first to last of the company's existence, and previously held a commission In the Dunedin City Guards, He was married in 1878, and has three sons and two daughters.
, Saddler and Harness Maker, Waitahuna. Mr. Watson is a native of Argyllshire, Scotland, where he was education, and served his apprenticeship with the
firm of Messrs. D. Watson and Co., of Campbeltown. After working as a journeyman for two years he came to New Zealand in 1876, landing at Port Chalmers, and after being six months in Dunedin he went to Waitahuna, where he established his present business in a small shop facing the main road. Mr. Watson has since considerably increased the size of his premises and also built a dwelling-house. He does a general saddlery and harness trade, besides keeping a stock of portmanteaux, watches, and fancy goods. His business extends over a considerable area and amongst the best settlers.
, Merchant, Waltahuua, Born in 1866, and educated at Waitahuna, Mr. Auld was afterwards for eight years with his father, who founded the present
business In 1862. On the death of Mr. Auld, senior, In 1890, the subject of this notice assumed control, and has since succeeded in considerably extending the business by establishing branches at Kaitangata, Tuapeka Mouth, and Dunedin South. Mr. Auld has not confined his energies to business matters, as he has been a prominent figure in the Prohibition movement in his district, and in 1896 was selected by a conference of delegates from the Bruce electrorate, to contest the general election of that year in the interests of the cause. Standing as an Independent Liberal, he took the field only three weeks before the date of the election to contest the seat with Mr. James Allen, one of the strongest members of the Opposition In New Zealand, mid although defeated, polled more than double the number of votes recorded in favour of Mr. Allen's former opponent. As a leading member of the Order of Good Templars, Mr. Auld holds the position of District Deputy Grand Chief Templar for the Bruce and Tuapeka distriets; he is also a member of the local school committee, and is an office-bearer in his church.
Mr. Alexander Garden
, for some time a storekeeper at Waitahuna, was born in Tasmania, in 1838, and was educated at Hobart. In 1851, when hut thirteen years of age, he went to the Victorian goldfields, and worked at Golden Point, Forest Creek, for several years; and he believes that he is in the unique position of being the only living representative of that “era.” Mr. Garden sailed for New Zealand in 1861 in the ship “Mary Ann Wilson,” and landed at Dunedin, whence he went to Waitahuna, and continued to reside almost uninterruptedly in the district. As one of the pioneers of the Waitahuna goldfield, he has seen an entirely
new generation of miners arise. Till 1875, he was personally engaged in mining, but he then opened a small store in Waitahuna. This business became one of the largest in
the district, and Mr. Garden afterwards sold it and retired to a life of leisure. Mr. Garden has been treasurer of the Presbyterian Church for twenty-six years, and also treasurer of the Farmers' Club, for seventeen years. He is chairman of the Domain Board, and one of the Cemetery Trustees, and has been Superintendent of the Presbyterian Sunday school since its foundation.
Mr. William Livingston
, J.P., born and educated in the north of Ireland. At the age of eighteen he left his native land for Victoria, where be followed various occupations until attracted to New Zealand by the gold discoveries In 1861. He came to Port Chalmers in the ship “Ocean Chief,” and was engaged In mining at Gabriel's Gully and Blue Spur for ten years. At the end ot that time Mr. Livingston abandoned that somewhat precarious calling to take to farming, and, purchasing a Hock of sheep, ran them for two seasons on Crown lands. He then took up a property of about 1380 acres, which he afterwards increased to 3000 acres to freehold, and 4000 acres of leasehold land. The homestead, “Fairview,” is pleasantly situated on one of the heights overlooking Waitahuna. Mr. Livingston was a member of the Tuapeka County Council for many years. He was also president of the Waitahuna Fanners” Club, and chairman of the Taapeka Hospital Board, and acted in a similar capacity to the school and cemetery committees.