is a small township on the hanks of the Tokomairiro river. It is situated on the railway, forty-one miles from. Dunedin and five miles from Milton. In the early days, it was known, as the “Woolshed,” and was the scene of great activity in gold mining. Dredging is still carried on in the district, but the neighbouring land is devoted to agriculture, chiefly to grain-growing, though sheep-farming is also carried on. The village has a public school, post and telephone office, and
one hotel, and the district roads level, and good for cycling. The through to Lawrence is very fine, particularly along the route of the Manuka creek. There are about one hundred persons settled in the township and district.
. Farmer, “Gold Bank.” Glenore. Mr. Tulloch was born in the Orkney Inlands in 1832, and came to Otago
Mr. W. Tulloch.
by the ship “Three Bells” in 1858. After working for eighteen months at the Taieri, he was employed by Mr. Henry Clark, of Tokomairiro, for some time, and then started a fishing station at Stewart Island, with Mr. James Harold. Unfortunately, the venture proved unsuccessful, and Mr. Tulloch returned to Otago to take part in the Gabriel's Gully gold rush. After varying luck at different diggings, he bought land from Mr. Adam, of “Bon Accord,” near Milton, and started farming it. The property consists of about 230 acres, and is now worked by Mr. Tulloch's sons. Mr. Tulloch has always taken a great interest in gold dredging, and was one of the chief promoters of the Gold Bank Dredging Company. He was a member of the Glenore school committee for thirty-five years, and chairman for thirty years of that time; and was one of the first members of the district Road Board. He is also a member of the Farmers' Union, and at one time served as a volunteer in the Bruce Rifles, Mr. Tulloch married a daughter of Mr. Henry Clark, of Clarksville, and has, surviving a family of seven children.
The Roxburgh Station
(New Zealand Trust and Loan Company, proprietors), Glenore. This property consists of 15,510 acres of freehold, stretching from the Waitahuna river to Lovell's creek. It carries 13,000 sheep in the summer and 10,000 sheep in the winter, and about 300 bead of cattle. The sheep are principally Romney, half bred Ranvney, and Merinos, and the cattle arc of the Polled Angus and Shorthorn breeds. Draught horses are also bred on the property, About 1,400 acres are devoted to growing turnips, oats, and rape, and about halt the oats and chaff grown are for the requirements of the station. The New Zealand Trust and Loan Company also owns the Berkley estate at Henley, the Traquair station at Outram, and other properties.
Mr. A. R. Ward
, Manager of Roxburgh and Traquair stations and Berkley estate,
is a son, of the late Mr. Joseph Ward, of Marlborough, who owned the Clarence run in the early days of that province. Mr. Ward gained his first experience of the management of a station on his father's run, where he worked for fifteen years, For seven years subsequently he managed the Ugbrooke and Vernon station, Marlborough, and has been manager of the stations of the New Zealand Trust and Loan Company in Otago since 1897. Mr. Ward is well-known as a breeder of pedigree racing stock, and bred “Clarence,” who won the Grand National, with a record weight of 12 stone 12 pounds, and also the Napier Steeplechase, with 13 stone 2 pounds. He bred “Lara,” who won the Wellington and Auckland Cups in 1877, and also numerous other races. “Sortie,” bred by him, won several races in Sydney, and also the Launceston Cup. At present (1904) Air. Ward has some fine pedigree stock by “Peerage” and “Conqueror,” and two thoroughbred mares in foal to “Serapion.” Mr. Ward may be said to have inherited his love of racing, as his uncle, Mr. Henry Bedwaod, was renowned us the father of the sport in New Zealand. Mr. Ward is married, and has three sons and nine daughters.
Mr. William Mercer
, formerly Manager and Secretary of the Woolshed Dredging Company, is the only son of Mr. William Mercer, of Boxburgh, an old miner, and was born and educated at that raining centre. He was brought up as a blacksmith, and worked for the Commissioners Flat Gold Mining Company and the Dredge Company at Roxburgh. In conjunction, with Messrs W. and G. Telford, he started the Golden Bank Dredge at Glenore. Mr. Mercer, whilst residing at Roxburgh, took an active interest In the local brass baud and the Foresters' Court. He is now (1904) a dradgemaster at Poolburn Ida Valley, Central Otago.