The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Gore , an incorporated country town in the county of Southland, is situated on the main south line, about one hundred miles south-west from Dunedin, and thirty-nine miles from Invercargill. A branch railway connects it with Lumstlen, on the Invercargill-Kingston line. The surrounding district consists of fertile plains, and fine pastoral hilly country, and is one of the most prosperous farming communities in the province of Southland. Coal is found in the neighbourhood, and several pits are in active operation. The Mataura river flows through the town, and is spanned by two bridges connecting Gore with East Gore. The latter place was formerly known as Gordon, but in 1800 the two towns were amalgamated. In 1877 the only bank in Gore was the Bank of New Zealand; three years later the Bank of Australasia and the Colonial Bank opened on the same morning In 1899 the Bank of New South Wales opened a branch. In 1879 the railway was opened through from Duaedin, and in the same year the first sod of the Waimea Plains railway was turned by the late Hon. John Ballance, then Colonial Treasurer in Sir George Grey's Government. At that time there was one newspaper, the “Ensign,” published in the town, but in 1887 its contemperary, the “Standard,” was started. At the present day the town is lighted by electricity-Main, Mersey and Medway Streets being lighted by two powerful 3.000-candle power are lamps. The town hall, hotels, shops and many private residences are also lighted by electricity. The Borough Council has large and commodious saleyards, through which as many as 24,000 sheep have passed in one day. The same body also owns the electric light plant, and the town abattoir. Although Gore has suffered during recent years from several disastrous fires, the town has gone ahead by leaps and bounds, and at the present time (1904) several new buildings and private residences, of an imposing character, are in course of erection. Many industries flourish, such as flour mills, a fellmongery, a brewery, a dairy factory, a coach factory, meat pre-serving works, agricultural implement works, etc. Gore possesses several good hotels, three public halls, six churches, two literary societies, two public schools, one private school in connection with the Roman Catholic church, two Friendly Societies, an Atheneaum, Fire Brigade, Brass Band, Farmers' Club. Agricultural and Pastoral Association, Racing Club (which holds a two-days' spring and a two-days' summer meeting each year), and several other minor institutions. In connection with the Post and Telegraph Office, which is a handsome two storey brick building with a clock tower, there is a telephone exchange, whereby communication is obtained with Invercargill, Bluff, Winton, Riversdale, Balfour, and intermediate centres.
Mr. Robert McNab, M. A., LL. B., Member of the House of Representatives for Mataura, was elected in 1893 with a majority of 117 over the Hon. G. F. Richardson and Mr. James Christie. In 1896. Mr. Richardson won the seat from him with a majority of 201; but in 1838, when Mr. Richardson retired, Mr. McNab defeated Mr. W. F. Ward by 387 votes. At the elections of 1899 and 1902 Mr. McNab was again returned with majorities of 159 and 433 over his opponent, Mr. I. W. Raymond. Mr. McNab is a supporter of the Seddon Government, and is a New Zealander by birth. He finished his education at the University of Otago, is a farmer, and resides at his home at Knapdale, near Gore. His father, the late Mr. Alexander McNab, of Knapdale, was one of the earliest pastoral settlers of Southland.
The Borough Council Of Gore , which came into existence in 1885, consists of a Mayor, elected annually by the borough, and nine councillors elected for a period of two years. There are three wards, North. South and East; the latter was formerly the township of East Gore, or Gordon, and was incorporated in 1830. Gore has an area of 1,150 acres, and a population of nearly 3,000. It has 180 dwellings, 620 ratepayers, and 1,317 rateable properties. Its rateable unimproved value is £99.586; improved, £163,089. On the 31st of March, 1903, the borough's assets amounted to £1.573 11s 11d; and the total liabilities for the year ending March, 1904, stood at £11,628 Os 8d. The borough's assets do not include the value of its reserves or of the buildings on them. Meetings of the Council are held on the first and third Mondays in each month in the Town Hall, Mersey Street. A system of drainage has been inaugurated in the borough, and water has been laid on, at a cost of £20,000 for both services. Gore was constituted a town district in March, 1882, and the first meeting of Town Commissioners was held on the 31st of that month. The first chairman was Mr. Thomas Green. In July, 1885, Gore was proclaimed a borough, and Mr. James Beattie (then chairman of the Town Board), acted as Mayor until the first mayoral election, which resulted in the return of Mr. Thomas Green. Since then the mayoral chair has been occupied by Messrs I. S. Simson, Alfred Dolalmore, John MacGibbon, Dr. J. Copland, A. A. MacGibbon, James Beattie, T. Brewer. D. Macfarlane, J. Ballantine, W. McAra, and the present (1901) Mayor, Mr. D. L. Poppelwell. The councillors are Messrs William Baker, It. F. Wallis, A. A. MacGibbon, John MacGibbon, B. J. Fait, Dr. G. A. Copland. James Speden, C. Burrows, and Arthur J. Pope. Mr. Robert Dewar is Town Clerk.
Mr. I. S. Simson
Mr. J. Beattie.
Mr. Thomas Henry Brewer was Mayor of Gore in 1894–9, and has also represented the South Ward on the Borough Council. During his term of office he was instrumental in installing the electric light in the borough, the scheme being carried out by a private company, which afterwards disposed of the plant to the Council; and he also helped to win a case against the Southland County Council, in regard to the building of the traffic bridge over the Mataura river from Gore to East Gore. The case was taken to Court, a deadlock having occurred, and Mr. Brewer, representing the Gore Borough Council, put forth his efforts on behalf of the ratepayers, and succeeded in gaining the verdict for the Borough Council. Mr. Brewer was born at St. Columb, near New Quay, Cornwall, England, in 1856, and was brought up to farming. In 1875 he left Plymouth by the ship 'Rangitikei” for Lyttelton, and for eight months after his arrival was employed in the construction of the railway line from Pleasant Point to Albury. He was afterwards for two years with Mr. John Grigg, of “Longbeach,” near Ashburton, before removing to Gore, where he has since resided. For many years he was in the livery-stable business, in partnership with Mr. Trembath, and the firm bought the business of Messrs Green and Souness, auctioneers, and established the first horse bazaar in Gore. A disastrous fire destroyed the premises in 1897, when the firm lost several horses, which were uninsured. Mr. Brewer then retired from business for a time, and subsequently accepted a position as manager of the City Grocery Company, but in February, 1904, the block of buildings in which the shop stood was also destroyed by fire. Since that time Mr. Brewer has been farming in a small way about a mile from the township, just within the town belt. As a Freemason he is attached to Lodge Harvey, New Zealand Constitution, and was a member of the Mataura Licensing Committee for two terms. Mr. Brewer was married, in 1891, to a daughter of Mr. W. H. Wood, of Bunbury, West Australia, and has a family of two sons and four daughters. The Borough Council presented Mr. and Mrs Brewer with a silver cradle to commemorate the birth of a son during Mr. Brewer's term of office as Mayor.
The Gore Fire Brigade was established in 1886. It is composed of twenty members, and is purely a volunteer body. The plant consists of a 350-gallon Shand Mason steam fire engine of the double vertical pattern, three ladders, and 1500 feet of hose. Mr. F. Wallis has been captain of the brigade for the past seventeen years, and Mr. A. Martin (ex-president of the United Fire Brigade Association) is secretary.
The Gore Abattoir , which is situated about a mile from the town, on the banks of the Mataura river, was built in 1902, and belongs to the Gore Corporation. The building is of brick, and the main killing and dressing room is thirty feet high, forty feet long, and thirty feet wide. Off this room there is an offal shed and receptacle for [gap — reason: illegible]. The water used is pumped by a five-horse power boiler, which also supplies the steam for heating water for dressing purposes and for scalding the pigs. The pens are close up to the building on the outside, and have accommodation for a large number of sheep, pigs and cattle. About seventy head of cattle, 360 sheep, and ten pigs are killed monthly. The premises are kept scrupulously clean and wholesome, and the work is carried out in a skilful and humane manner.
Mr. F. Stewart.
The Gore Electric Lighting Works were first started by a syndicate in 1894, but were afterwards bought by the Borough Council. Until 1904 the power was generated by engines totalling sixty indicated horse power, but in order to meet the town's increasing requirements, increased power was secured from the Mataura Meat Company's Works, about seven miles distant. Gore, therefore, is one of the best lighted towns in the Middle Island. The old method was by direct current on the Edison three-wire system, and the power was generated at the works. Under the present arrangement power at a pressure of 5,000 volts is brought from Mataura, to the powerhouse, Gore, where it is transformed and distributed to the town by an alternating current. At the powerhouse a new electrical pump is fitted to a concrete well seven feet in diameter (internal), with a never-failing supply of water, and pumped to a reservoir about a mile distant, and thence it is distributed by pipes to the town, where there is a pressure sufficient to throw the water over the highest buildings.
The Gore Rifle Volunteer Corps was first formed in 1886 with Mr. H. S. Valentine (then member of Parliament for Mataura) as captain, and Messrs Boyne and Henderson as lieutenants. Lieutenant Boyne succeeded to the captaincy in 1892, and held the position until 1903, when he was gazetted major of the No. 2 Battalion. The present officers are Captain Domigan, and Lieutenants Fraser and Mackenzie, and the strength of the corps is sixty-three. Several of the original members who joined in 1886 are still on the roll, and a high record for efficiency has always been maintained. Major-General Babington, when inspecting the corps in 1903, stated that he was very pleased with the work done, and that the manner in which the movements were gone through showed that the men were paying attention to the officers. He congratulated the officers on the efficiency of the company, which, he said, was the best he had seen in New Zealand. The corps holds a very high shooting record, and two of its members—Captain Domigan and Sergeant Shanks—were chosen for the Bisley team in 1904.
Capt. W. Domigan.
Major James Boyne , V.D., of the No. 2 Battalion Otago Rifle Volunteers, was born at Alloa, Stirlingshire, Scotland, and came to New Zealand in 1860 with his father, Mr. Robert Boyne, general merchant, Queens-town. Mr. Boyne first enrolled in the Queenstown Rifles in 1873, and was elected lieutenant of the corps on the 27th of July, 1881. In 1883 he left Queenstown for Gore, and joined the Gore Rifles as lieutenant on their formation in 1886, was gazetted captain in March, 1893, and major of the No. 2 Battalion Otago Rifle Volunteers in 1903. During his long connection with the Gore Rifles he was a most popular and painstaking officer, and assiduously helped the corps to obtain its present efficiency. He received the Long Service Medal in 1898, and the Volunteer Officers' Decoration in 1902. Major Boyne was well known as a marksman during his many years of service.
Mr. James Smaill , Government Land Valuer, Gore, is a son of the late Mr. Charles Smaill, one of the pioneers of the Otago Peninsula, who arrived with his family by the ship “Strathallan” in 1858. Mr. Smaill was born at Corstorphine, near Edinburgh, Scotland, and was educated at the Dunedin High School. On leaving school he started farming with his brother on the Peninsula. In 1879 Mr. Smaill removed to Gore, where he was for some time engaged in farming, but was subsequently in business. When Mr. Green retired in 1899 Mr. Smaill was appointed land valuer by the Government. Mr. Smaill was chairman of the East Gore or Gordon Town page 762 Board, and afterwards a member of the Gore Borough Council. He married Miss Irving, daughter of Mr. Irving, formerly of Johnston Lee, Otago Peninsula, and now of Clinton; and there is a family of four daughters and two sons.
The Court House And Police Station . This building was erected in 1880, and in 1891 Sergeant Fleming was appointed to the charge of the district. The sergeant's residence and police office form the right wing of the building, the left wing being set apart for the magistrate's court and offices.
The Gore Railway Station was originally the terminus of the Dunedin-Inver-cargill line, but through communication between Invercargill and Dunedin was established in 1878 on the completion of the line between Gore and Waipahi. The Waimea Plains railway leads from Gore to Lumsdene, where it joins the main trunk line to Kingston. Gore is now one of the most important railway junctions in the colony. The station was destroyed by fire in 1904, but rebuilt by the Government.
Mr. A. G. Brebner.
Mr. J. Crisp.
Gore District High School . The first meeting of a school committee in Gore was held on the 28th of January, 1878, and the committee was composed of Messrs. T. Green, R. Bree, J. Ross, and George Beattie. In April of the same year, tenders were called for the erection of a school. The building was opened in the ensuing October, and the first schoolmaster was Mr. John Milne, now of South Hillend. Mr. Milne was succeeded in 1880 by Mr. John Neill (the present secretary of the Southland Education Board), who, after five years' service, was succeeded by Mr. Jonathan Golding, B.A., the present headmaster, who has now (1904) filled the position for nineteen years. On the 4th of July, 1896, the building, which had served for eighteen years, was burnt to the ground, and on the 29th of January of the following year, the present school was opened. The school was constituted a District High School in April, 1902, and now has eleven teachers and about 471 pupils in attendance, with seventy in the secondary department, which has succeeded beyond the most sanguine expectations of the school inspectors.
Mr. Jonathan Golding , B.A., the present headmaster of the Gore District High School, was born at Port Elliott, in South Australia. His school course was taken chiefly at the Milton District High School, where he served as pupil teacher under Mr. Mr. William Malcolm, who was afterwards principal of the Christchurch Training College. In 1880, Mr. Golding matriculated in the New Zealand University, and took the degree of B.A. in 1883. He was appointed to his present position in 1885.
Mr. Louis Henry Murray , formerly First Assistant at the Gore Public School, was born at Gabriel's Gully, Otago, and educated at the Lawrence District High School. From 1889 to 1893, Mr. Murray served as a pupil teacher at the Oamaru South school, where he gained a D certificate, after one year at the Normal Training College and University in Dunedin. He became headmaster of the Livingstone school, and, in April, 1896, was appointed to an assistant position in Oamaru. Mr. Murray was connected with the Oamaru Cricket Club for a number of years, and held the position of secretary. He takes a deep interest in football, and on one occasion rode a distance of sixty miles to take part in a game. He was prominent in the early days as a member of the Oamaru Football Club, and was also a member of the Oamaru Korero Club till the date of his appointment to the Gore school. Mr. Murray now (1904) resides in Dunedin.
East Gore Public School . This school was opened in 1885 in the present building to which additions have been made since the present master was appointed. There are three class-rooms with lobbies, and a large recreation ground. The number of scholars on the roll is 209 with an average attendance of 172. The general results of the school are good, and the school is noted for the number of scholarships won by its pupils.
Mr. William Gilchrist (D1) , Headmaster of East Gore Public School, was born at Kells, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland, in 1860, received his primary education at Walker-burn, near Edinburgh, and qualified for the page 763 profession of teacher by self-study. Mr. Gilchrist arrived at Port Chalmers in 1882 by the ship “Dunedin,” and in 1884 joined the service of the Southland Board of Education. He took charge of the East Gore school in 1891.
The Church Of The Holy Trinity , Gore, is a plain building standing in a central position in pleasant grounds, containing a fine lot of deciduous trees and shrubs. The interior is pleasing, and the church is furnished in keeping with other Anglican churches throughout the province. It is capable of seating about 200 people, and the services are well attended, both morning and evening. In the morning there is a plain but bright service, and in the evening the service is choral. The organ is a good instrument, and the choir renders the service intelligently and well. The parish, which has an Anglican population of about 500, extends from Mataura on the one side to Mandeville on the other. The churches St. Saviour's at Mataura, and the Epiphany at Mandeville, are both neat wooden buildings, and the weekly services are well attended. The churches are in the happy position of being free of debt; and an attempt is to be made to raise the necessary funds for the erection of a vicarage, a much needed building, which the parish at present lacks.
Rev. A. Wingfield.
Congregational Church. On the 26th day of June, 1891, this beautifully constructed church with its lofty spire was opened by the pastor, Rev. H. J. Lewis, who laboured in the district for three years. The Rev. George Hervey is the present minister in charge. The various organisations of the church are in good healthy working order. The manse is beautifully situated on the crown of a hill overlooking the town of Gore, with a lovely view of the Hokonui ranges and the more distant chain of snow-capped mountains.
Gore Wesleyan Church . The Wesleyan church was first represented in Gore by a Home missionary in 1879. In 1883, Gore was added to the Tapanul circuit, and two years later a new church was built. Prior to its erection, public worship was conducted in the local court house, Mackay's hall, and Simson's auction room. A new parsonage, consisting of six rooms, was also provided. The Rev. J. A. Hosking is in charge.
Mr. William Garnet Alcorn , formerly Evangelist in charge of the Church of Christ, Invercargill, has been stationed at Gore since 1904. He was educated chiefly by private tuition; was licensed to preach in 1991; was first stationed in West Morten, Queensland, and afterwards at Invercargill where he continued until removing to Gore. Mr Alcorn married a daughter of Mr. Jacob Thomas Jenner, of Queensland.
Mr. And Mrs. W. G. Alcorn.
The Roman Catholic Church at Gore forms part of a wide parish, including Mataura, Wyndham, Riversdale, Waikala, Tapanul, Heriot, and Clinton, all under the present ministrations of the Rev. Father O'Donnell.
“The Mataura Ensign.” Indissolubly bound up with the history of the progress and prosperity of Gore and Mataura district, is the career of its pioneer journal “The Mataura Ensign,” which was established in 1878 by Mr. Joseph Mackay. It was at first a weekly, then a twi-weekly, but has been a triweekly since June, 1895. The “Ensign” was bought in 1881 by the late Mr. Alfred Dolamore, who, in 1887, admitted into partnership the late Mr. A. G. B. Godby. In 1891, the last-named gentleman retired, and was succeeded by Mr. J. Howard Dolamore. In February, 1895, when Mr. Alfred Dolamore died, the control of the business fell to Mr. J. H. Dolamore, who still (1904) superintends its affairs. The history of the “Ensign” has been one of steady growth, marking a gradual expansion from small beginnings to its present position in colonial journalism. The business has absorbed at different times the interests of “The Waikala Herald” (published at Walkala), “The Southern Free Press”(published at Mataura), “The Walmia Plains Review” (published at Riversdale), and “The Clutha County Gazette” (published at Clinton). In June, 1898, the firm's premises in Gorton Street, Gore, were destroyed by fire, but have been replaced by a handsome brick building. The “Ensign” has been uniformly fortunate in its editors, who have been such men as Messrs J. Mackay. H. Carrick, Whitely King, J. G. Scoular, the late A. Dolamore, the late G. S. Searle, the late A. G. B. Godby, and the present editor, Mr. F. H. Hart.
The “Southern Standard,” a six page bi-weekly newspaper, was established at Gore in 1887, by the Gore ares Mataura District Standard Printing Company, and the first number appeared on the 14th of June in that year. In January, 1896, the paper and plant were purchased, as a going concern, by Messrs James Drummond, Andrew Martin and George Matheson, and eighteen months later Messrs Martin and Matheson assumed ownership. The districts in which the “Standard” circulates, are devoted chiefly to agriculture, and the endeavour of the management has been to make the publication a farmers' organ. In this endeavour gratifying success has attended their efforts, for the “Standard” enters a great majority of the homes of settlers in the districts of Waimea, Otama, Waikaka Valley, and Mataura, all thickly settled and prosperous agricultural areas. Gore, the chief town for these districts, has a population of nearly 3,000, amongst whom, and also in Mataura, a rising industrial township eight miles distant, with a population of 1000, the “Standard” circulates widely. The paper first appeared as an advocate of Liberal principles, and has remained faithful to its original tenets, having been a strong supporter of the Ballance-Seddon-McKenzie policy during its seventeen years of active usefulness.
Mr. A. Martin.
Mr. George Matheson , who is a partner in the ownership of the “Southern Standard.” and in charge of the mechanical department, is a native of Port Chalmers, and was educated in North Otago. He first gained an insight into his business with Mr. J. S. Fleming, of the “Clutha Leader,” and was subsequently for a number of years in the “Otago Daily Times” office, where he had further experience in newspaper work, and fitted himself to fill his present position. In 1893 Mr. Matheson removed to Gore, and became connected with the “Southern Standard,” which he and Mr. Martin bought in 1898, and have since conducted with considerable success. Mr. Matheson takes a keen interest in musical and dramatic matters, and has sung the tenor solos in the principal cantatas, operettas, etc., performed in Gore from time to time. Amateur theatricals have also received his active assistance, and he has been a willing helper in connection with church choirs, and charitable objects.
Mr. H. A. Martin.
Copland, George Anderson, M.D. B. Ch. (New Zealand University), M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., (London), and Surgeon-Captain of the Gore Rifle Volunteers. Dr. Copland is the eldest son of the late Dr. James Copland, M.A., Edinburgh, M.D.C.M. (Aberdeen), and Ph.D. (Heidelberg). He studied in the University of Otago, obtained his degree of M.B. in 1888, his M.D. in 1891, and had charge of the Dunedin Hospital during those years. After studying in London he obtained the degrees of M.R.C.S. and L.R.C.P. in 1893. On returning to New Zealand, Dr. Copland practised in partnership with his father at Gore, and since his father's death he has continued the practice on his own account. Dr. Copland is at present (1901) a member of the Gore Borough Council. He was appointed Surgeon-Captain in the Gore Rifles, in 1900.
Dr. H. Donaldson.
Mr. O. R. Buchanan.
Mr. A. Latham,
Mr. J. Blaikie.
Lock, Thomas , Baker and Confectioner, Baker's Buildings, Gore. This business was established about 1884, and was bought by Mr. Lock in 1901. It is one of the largest of its kind in Gore, and Mr. Lock employs three carts and seven assistants. The shop is faultlessly fitted for the display of the goods of the trade, and in a large dining room, twenty-four feet by twenty feet, situated at the rear of the shop, the proprietor does a thriving business in luncheons and teas. A hall, fifty-six feet by twenty feet, is available for entertainments and social parties. Mr. Lock is the principal caterer for public functions in Gore, and for breakfast and wedding parties, which he supplies in a style not surpassed in populous cities. Two new bake ovens, recently erected to his order, are finished with all the latest improvements. They are fitted with Thomson's patent furnaces, and by means of a high pressure boiler, the temperature can be regulated in a way not possible under the ordinary method. The ovens are so constructed that one can be shut down for repairs while the other is in use; and the crown of each oven is packed to a depth of three inches with silica of cotton to prevent radiation. Mr. Lock has installed automatic dough-mixers, and large concrete bins have been constructed for the storage of 3000 dozen eggs and several hundred weight of butter. Altogether, the premises mark a distinct advance in an important local industry.
Mr. Thomas Lock Is the eldest son of Mr. William Lock, an old established baker in Invercargill, and was born at Arrowtown. He learned his trade under his father, and worked subsequently at Wright's biscuit factory in Dunedin. Mr. Lock settled in Gore in 1901, and bought his present business, which, through his enterprise, is now one of the largest in Southland. He is an enthusiastic bowler, and won the championship at Dunedin in 1904. Mr. Lock has identified himself with all athletic sports, is a keen angler, and is a member of the Order of Oddfellows. He is married, and has three children.
Mr. O. Kelly.
Boyne Brothers (James Boyne and William Boyne), Drapers, Booksellers, Stationers, and Fancy Goods Merchants, Gore. Messrs Boyne Brothers stock large supplies of drapery and fancy goods, books and stationery, and import most of their goods from the Home Country. The premises are commodious, well lighted, and are situated opposite the Bank of New Zealand. The firm is agent for the well known Dresden Pianoforte Company, and can supply all the latest music and the very best class of musical instruments.
Mr. James Boyne . who is referred to in another article as a Major of Volunteers, began business life in the employment of Messrs Whittingham Brothers and Instone, general merchants, Queenstown. He remained with that firm until 1883 when he came to Gore, to take the management of the branch business of Messrs McGibbon and Sons. Eighteen months later he, in conjunction with his brother, Mr. William Boyne, started their present business. Mr. Boyne is a prominent Freemason; he was Master of the Queenstown Masonic Lodge, and was first Master of the Gore Lodge, in which he also filled the position of secretary for eight years; represented the Lodge in the Grand Communication in Wellington and Auckland; and for his numerous services in that connection was presented with two handsome jewels. As an Oddfellow Mr. Boyne filled all the offices, and was Permanent Secretary of the Queenstown Lodge till removing to Gore in 1884 when he joined the page 767 Gore Lodge, in which he has filled all the offices. He has been treasurer for many years, and has held the position of Provincial Grand Master for the district of Invercargill. He was a member of the school committee for many years, and was its chairman for one year. Mr. Boyne has always taken great interest in musical matters. He conducted the Presbyterian church choir at Queenstown for many years, and for a number of years conducted a large choir at Gore. He was one of the Band Contest Committee at Gore in 1904. Mr. Boyne is married and has a family of two. He takes a deep interest in church, school, and temperance work.
Mr. William Boyne , Of the firm of Boyne Brothers, is, like his brother, much interested in volunteering, with which he has been identified at Queenstown and Gore. He is now (1904) chairman of the East Gore school committee. Mr. Boyne is married, and has four children.
Domigan, W. and Co. , (William Domigan), Gentlemen's Outfitters and Mercers, Gore. Mr. William Domigan was born in Invercargill, where he was brought up to mercantile pursuits. He was for several years manager of the Gore branch of the New Zealand Clothing Factory, but entered business on his own account in 1894. The premises are large and handsomely fitted up, and customers can depend on getting the best and most fashionable articles of gentlemen's mercery and clothing. Mr. Domigan is a Past Grand Master in the Order of Oddfellows. He is a successful breeder of poultry, particularly of the white and brown Leghorns, buff Orpingtons, and Langshans, and has taken numerous prizes at the various local shows. Mr. Domigan is referred to in another article as captain of the Gore Rifles.
Southland Private Hotel (Arthur J. Pope, proprietor), Mersey Street, Gore. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand; Telephone, 17. This popular hotel is situated in the heart of the town, within a minute's walk of the post office and railway station. It is a two storey brick building, containing twenty-four single and double bedrooms,—all elaborately furnished, and scrupulously clean in every particular—and several sitting rooms, smoking rooms, and commercial rooms; three large sample rooms being situated at the rear. Two dining rooms (capable of seating fifty guests), one for regular boarders, and the other for commercial men and tourists, are on the ground floor, and the tables compare very favourably with those of the leading hotels of Dunedin and other cities, whilst the service is everything that could be desired. The proprietor has a farm on the outskirts of the town, which supplies the hotel with bacon, poultry, eggs, butter, milk, cream and other table requisites; so that everything is fresh and wholesome. On account of Prohibition being carried in the district, only temperance drinks can be procured at the bar, but there is a large and varied assortment of these. Since Mr. Pope has taken possession he has installed new furniture, and has spared no expense in thoroughly renovating the premises. He is most popular with the travelling public, who are quick to appreciate the homelike reception which awaits them at the “Southland.”
Mr. A. J. Pope.
Reid And Gray , Agricultural Implement Manufacturers. The Gore branch of this widely known firm was opened in 1883 to meet the local requirements of their extensive trade. A large stock of agricultural implements is always kept on hand. The firm's business is further referred to at page 325 of this volume.
Dalgety And Company, Ltd. , Stock and Station Agents. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia, Dunedin. The Gore branch of this wealthy commercial corporation was opened in Main Street in 1897. A very extensive business is done throughout the whole of the country districts.
New Zealand Loan And Mercantile Agency Company, Limited , Gore. This company opened an agency at Gore in May, 1892, with Mr. William Douglas in charge, and temporary offices in Main Street. A freehold section was then acquired in Ordsall Street; and a fine brick store, with a railway siding running through the middle of it, and with a suite of offices in front, was erected by the company. In 1885 the company's business had increased so much that more land was added to the site, and in 1830 the store had to be enlarged to about twice its original size; it is now one of the most roomy and convenient stores in Southland, with a holding capacity of 25,000 sacks of grain. The company's business is an extensive one, and comprises the supply of every requisite for carrying on agricultural and pastoral pursuits—grass, clover, and other page 768 seeds, manures, fencing material, cornsacks, woolpacks, etc.; and the disposal of stock, wool, grain, and produce, either locally or by shipment to the London markets. Besides all this, the company handles some particularly good lines in machinery; notably, the “Farmers' Favourite” grain manure and turnip drill, the “New Century” reaper and binder, etc., and caters for the dairying portion of the community by supplying—in addition to many smaller lines—“Crown” separators and churns, which have an excellent reputation. The company holds sole agencies for McDougall's Sheep Dip, Malden Island Guano and “Triumph” manures. In its land sales department it has an excellent Register of Properties for sale throughout New Zealand; this has been compiled by the company, and is available for the use of any intending land purchasers. The company also acts as a financial agent, and does a particularly large live stock business, the connection with its numerous branches enabling it to keep well in touch with northern buyers. Besides putting through extensive private sales, regular auction sales are held at Gore, Riversdale, Balfour, Waikaka, and Mataura, and clearing sales are conducted when required. The operations of the Gore agency extend over the territory comprised in the Hokonui, Waikaia, Wendon, Wendonside, Otama, Chatton, Waikaka, Tuturau, Waimumu, and Lindhurst districts. The chief grain grown in the Gore district is oats, and the company handles large quantities of this cereal, the shipping port being the Bluff. Wool clips from the Gore district are disposed of at the periodical auction sales in Invercargill and Dunedin.
Mr. J. R. Sharp.
Mr. H. W. Wait.
Mr. J. H. Smith.
Watson, J. E. and Co., Limited , Auctioneers, Stock and Station Agents, Export, Grain, Seed and Produce Merchants, and Wool Brokers, Gore. Head Office, Invercargill, with branches at Dunedin, Riversdale, Bluff and Otautau. This business was first started at Gore in 1835 by Mr. J. D. Hunter, who carried on successfully as a wool buyer, grain merchant and general storekeeper until he sold out in 1890 to Mr. W. B. Anderson, who sold to Messrs Tothill and Watson in 1892, when Mr. James Graham took over the management. Mr. Tothill retired page 769 in 1902 and the business was carried on under the title of Watson and Co., the partners being Messrs J. E. Watson, James Graham, and John Gilkinson, until it was formed into a limited liability company in 1903. The firm has an extensive connection throughout Otago and Southland, and supplies farmers with grass, clover and other seeds, manures, and every requisite for carrying on agricultural and pastoral pursuits. The firm is sole agent for Messrs P. and D. Duncan's and Messrs Andrews and Beaven's agricultural implements; for the traction engine of Messrs Marshall and Son, England, and for the implements of Messrs Gardener and Sons, Mataura. Messrs J. E. Watson are also sole agents in Southland for the Blue Jay Plough, the Molotte Cream Separators and for the Islington manures. The firm manufactures the well known Antler brand of manure at its works at the Bluff. An up-to-date seed-cleaning plant has been erected, and every class of seed is treated with the greatest success. During the season from January to August, this machine runs night and day. The company holds a license to sell by auction, and besides regular stock sales, clearing sales are conducted when and where required. There are large stores at the various branches of the company; the Riversdale store, one of the largest in Southland, is capable of storing 50,000 sacks.
Mr. W. Gee.
Wright, Stephenson and Co. , Stock and Station Agents, Gore. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. P.O. Box 30; Telephone 217. This old established firm of stock agents opened its Gore branch in 1892, and conducts an extensive business. The firm holds weekly sales at Gore, and periodical sales at Riversdale, Balfour, and Waikaia. Mr. J. T. Martin is Manager of the branch.
Mr. H. W. Hay , formerly Manager, is the eldest son of Mr. A. R. Hay, farmer, of Woodlands, and was born in Dunedin, where he was educated at the High School. For about fourteen years, Mr. Hay was engaged on stations in Southland, and in 1896 he became Manager of the Gore branch of the business of Messrs. Wright, Stephenson and Co. He is now (1904) farming at “Woodstock,” Woodlands.
Fleming, Henderson and Co. , Millers. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Telephone 1; P.O. Box 24. Cable Code, A.B.C., 4th edition. The Gore Flour Mill is one of the most conspicuous buildings in the township, and was originally erected by Messrs. Richardson, Greer and Co., in 1878. It is a four-storied brick building, covering a quarter of an acre of ground, and is capable of storing 20,000 bags of grain. In 1893, the firm introduced an entirely new milling plant, imported from Messrs. T. Robinson and Sons, of Rochdale, England, and capable of manufacturing ten tons of flour and twenty tons of oatmeal every twenty-four hours. Messrs. Fleming, Henderson and Co. export the bulk of their oatmeal (“Thistle” brand) to all the Australasian Colonies, but their flour (“Snowflake” brand) is almost entirely consumed in Gore and surrounding districts. About fifteen mill hands are employed by the firm.
Mr. Alexander Henderson , Managing Partner of the Gore Flour Mill, is a native of Scotland, and has been in charge of the works since the firm acquired the business in 1883.
Mr. William Teviotdale , formerly Foremen Miller at the Gore Flour Mills, is the eldest son of the late Mr. Teviotdale, and was born at Montrose, Scotland, in 1871. He arrived in Otago with his parents when a child, and was educated at Clifton public school. Mr. Teviotdale was apprenticed to the milling trade at the early age of fifteen; in due course he became a journeyman, and in 1894 was promoted to the position of foreman. He is now (1904) engaged at a flour mill at Timaru.
Mr. W. Teviotdale.
Martin, Andrew , Farmer, “The Willows,” Gore, Southland. Mr. Martin was born at Listooder, County Down, Ireland, in 1825, and was brought up to an agricultural life. In 1852, after having spent some years in Scotland and England he sailed for Melbourne in the ship “Europa.” For some time he was employed as a guard on the notorious prison hulk “Success,” where, in those days, the worst felons sent out from England were confined. Exciting incidents on the hulk were more common than rare, and Mr. Martin had frequent experience of them. On one occasion he prevented the escape of a notorious felon named Williams, who was afterwards executed for being the ringleader in the stoning of Governor Price to death. Burgess, Levy, Captain Melville, and other bushrangers were imprisoned in the hulk during the time that Mr. Martin was a guard. As he wished to marry, Mr. Martin forsook his hazardous occupation, and soon after set off for the Bendigo diggings, where he worked with considerable success from 1854 to 1861. Then, owing to the health of his wife, who was forced to return Home two years previously, he went back to the land of his birth and commenced farming. Colonial life, however, had a strong hold of him, and in 1872 he came out to New Zealand in the ship “Merope,” which landed at Lyttelton. Nine years were spent in farming in Canterbury, and in October, 1881, Mr. Martin and his family removed to Gore, where he has since resided. Mr. Martin's homestead property has an area of 128 acres of freehold, and he owns two other farms on the outskirts of Gore, one of 107 acres and another of sixty acres Mr. Martin was married, in 1852, to a daughter of Mr. William Jamieson, of Clackmannanshire, Scotland, and has a family of six sons and two daughters. His eldest page 770 son is part proprietor and business manager of the “Southern Standard.” and another son is editor of the same paper.
Dr. James Copland , sometime of Gore, took his medical degrees at Aberdeen, Scotland, in 1864, and arrived in Otago, New Zealand, during the same year, as surgeon of the ship “E. P. Bouverie.” He was the first Presbyterian minister settled at Lawrence, and had charge of the North Dunedin Presbyterian church for some years, but had to resign in 1882, through failing health. After a time he entered on the practice of his profession in Dunedin as a Doctor of Medicine, and was similarly engaged at Gore during the last fifteen years of his life. He took an active interest in public affairs at Gore, and was for some time Mayor of the borough. Dr. Copland was one of the first educated men to lecture on Socialism in New Zealand, and in the later seventies he published several small books containing a digest of the doctrines of the French and German Socialists. He died at Gore on the 9th of November, 1902 aged sixty-eight.
Mr. T. Green.
Mr. And Mrs J. Hay.
Mr. Thomas Latham arrived in Auckland in 1858, and removed to Dunedin about the year 1860. He was a builder and contractor, and put up buildings at Waikouaiti for the late Mr. John Jones, and also that gentleman's Dunedin residence, now the Fernhill Club. About 1876 Mr. Latham removed with his family to Gore, and was engaged in farming until his death, when he left a family of four sons and one daughter. During his residence at Waikouaiti and Gore he took considerable interest in local affairs, and especially in all matters that had for their object the welfare of the farming community.
Mr. and Mrs. J. Smith.