, or, more properly, Wharepa, is a Maori word which means village or settlement. It was probably a favourite dwelling place with the Maoris in the pre-colonial days, as the centre of the settlement is a pleasantly situated hill, which was at one time thickly covered with bush, and the Kaihiku river, close by, must have teemed with eels and other fish. As a colonial settlement, Warepa dates from 1853, when the late Mr. Peter Ayson bought land there, and in a few years had other pioneers as his neighbours, one of whom
was married to a sister of Lord Roberts, the hero of memorable campaigns in India and South Africa. Warepa has a post and telegraph office, and the district is devoted to sheep-farming and agriculture.
, Farmer. “Corydon,” Warepa, Clutha. Mr. Ayson was born in 1833, at Dunmay, Glenshee, Scotland, and came to New Zealand, with his parents, in 1853, by the ship “Royal Albert.” The family settled in the Clutha district, and subsequently Mr. Ayson and his brother leased a farm near Balclutha, where they remained for twenty-one years. At the end of that time, on account of his father's ill-health, Mr. Peter Ayson returned to the home estate, and took charge of the property, where he has since remained. He has always taken a great interest in the welfare of his district, and besides serving on the Clutha County Council, has been a member of the Warepa Road Board and school committee. He is an elder of the Warepa Presbyterian church, a member of the Farmers' Union, and
was for years attached to the Loyal Dalton Lodge of Oddfellows, Balclutha. Mr. Ayson has been twice married; his first wife was Miss Elspeth Fraser Robertson, and in July, 1881, he took as his second wife Miss Margaret Fraser, of Waihola. There is a surviving family of one son and one daughter.
Mr. Peter Ayson
, sometime of “Corydon,” Warepa, Clutha, was born at Cray, Glenshee, Perthshire, Scotland, in 1807. He served an apprenticeship to the carpentering trade, at which he worked for a time before coming to New Zealand with his wife and family in 1853, by the ship “Royal Albert.” A few months after his arrival Mr. Ayson bought some property—the nucleus of “Corydon”—at Warepa, and commenced farming. He was for many years a member of the Warepa Road Board and school committee,
and expended much time and money in promoting the erection of the local Presbyterian church. Mr. Ayson was married, in 1832, to Miss Douglas Lamond, of the parish of Kirkmichael, Scotland, and at his death on the 7th of January, 1897, left eight sons and four daughters. His widow still (1904) resides at “Corydon.”