The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Roxburgh , A borough town on the banks of the Molyneux, in the county of Tuapeka, lies one hundred miles northwest from Dunedin. It is forty miles from Lawrence, with which it has daily communication by coach. There is also a coach service to Queenstown, connecting with Alexandra. Most of the settlement is on the western side of the Molyneux, and extends from the river to the foot of the Mount Benger Range. Roxburgh, which was so named by the first settlers after Roxburghshire, in Scotland, is an old gold-mining settlement, and was opened up at the time of the Dunstan “rush” in 1862. Some of the miners who ventured to the field at that time have resided in the district up to the present day. For over forty years gold mining has been the leading industry, and it is now carried on by the more modern systems of hydraulic sluicing and dredging. Large quantities of gold have been won in and around the district, which is all gold-bearing, but no phenomenal finds have been recorded. Roxburgh—also known as the Teviot—is a great fruit-producing centre; as the climatic conditions and soil are admirably suitable, some of the finest fruit produced in the colony is grown in the district. In fact, this may be said of all the country lying between Island Block and Coal Creek. Agricultural farming is carried on in the flat and undulating country, and the hills are divided into small grazing runs. A bridge built over the Molyneux by the Provicinal Government in the early days, was washed away by the great flood of 1878, but it was replaced by a larger and stronger suspension traffic bridge. Another bridge spans the Teviot creek, which here flows into the Molyneux, and is fairly well stocked with trout.page 697
In the town of Roxburgh there are more imposing buildings than are usually found in the small goldmining towns of the colony. The Presbyterian, Anglican, Roman Catholic and Wesleyan denominations have erected places of worship within the borough, and the Government buildings consist of a post and telegraph office, public school, and magistrate's court. The Bank of New Zealand has erected a handsome branch office here; and four hotels, and a number of up-to-date stores stand in the business portion of the town, which is surrounded by a number of pretty villa residences. A small reservoir provides an efficient water supply, distributed by one mile and a half of mains, and gives a pressure of 200 feet. The streets of the town are lighted with kerosene lamps. A large recreation reserve is used for athletic sports, and the municipality also has an endowment of 1300 acres. Football, cricket, tennis, and golf clubs, in addition to a brass band, are among the social attractions of the place, and on the east side of the river the local jockey club has a racecourse. The Orders of Oddfellows and Foresters have also established lodges. A large public hall has an Athenæum and public library attached, and the meetings of the borough council are held in this building. Roxburgh also has a local weekly newspaper named “The Mount Benger Mail.”
The Borough Of Roxburgh comprises an area of 400 acres, and the annual rateable value is £1783. A general rate of 1s 6d in the £ on the annual value, produces £133 11s 6d. The borough, which has a population of about 500, was formerly divided into wards, but this system has been abolished. Members for the year 1904: Messrs Robert T. Kinaston (Mayor), L. E. Haines, W. J. Mullin, John Sands, E. Hart, William Kinaston, William Bain, Robert Cockburn, John Harry Waigth and Dr. W. J. Mullin (councillors). Mr. Jabez Burton is the Town Clerk and Treasurer.
His Worship The Mayor, Mr. Robert Teleford Kinaston , who has represented Central Ward in the Roxburgh Borough Council since 1896, was born within the borough in 1872, and educated at the local schools. He learned his business as a baker in Roxburgh, and was employed by Mr. S. Wootton from 1889 to 1892, when he purchased the business. Mr. Kinaston was married, in 1896, to a daughter of Mr. T. McIntosh, of Roxburgh East, farmer, and has one daughter.
Councillor Edward Andrew Hart , who has been a member of the Roxburgh Borough Council since 1898, was Mayor from 1901 to 1902, and represented the borough at the presentation of an address of welcome to the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York, in Dunedin on the 25th of June, 1901. He is the third son of Mr. B. Hart, and was born at Wetherstones, where he was educated. Mr. Hart was apprenticed as a tailor, and subsequently worked at Dunedin and Invercargill before settling at Roxburgh, where he established his business in 1890. He is a member of the Roxburgh school committee, and treasurer and lecture-master of the Loyal Roxburgh Lodge of Oddfellows. He is a director of the Dryburgh Jubilee Dredging Company. Mr. Hart was married, in February, 1896, to a daughter of Mr. D. Cormack, of Roxburgh, and has two sons.
Councillor E. A. Hart And Mrs Hart.
Mr. J. Burton.
Mr. Thomas Andrew , J.P., formerly Mayor of Roxburgh, was elected to the office in November, 1898. He became a member of the Council soon after its establishment, and has been mayor on four different occasions. Mr. Andrew was born in 1843 at Crossgates, Fifeshire. He learned his business as a blacksmith with his father, Mr. William Andrew, of Crossgates Foundry, and worked at the trade till leaving for Port Chalmers by the ship “Pladda,” which arrived on the 26th of December, 1862. He was at the Dunstan “rush,” and at Switzers, Waipori, and other places in Central Otago, where he engaged in goldmining. Mr. Andrew was afterwards for a year at Balclutha and at Oamaru respectively, and on the 9th of September, 1869, he began business as a general blacksmith and engineer. He was an older in the local Presbyterian Church for nearly twenty years, and served as a member of the Roxburgh school committee, and is a member, of the Loyal Roxburgh Lodge of Oddfellows, Manchester Unity, in which he has been through all the chairs several times, and has served as a trustee for over twenty years. Mr. Andrew was married, in 1872, to a daughter of the late Mr. W. Farmer, of Hobart. Mrs. Andrew is dead.
Mr. T. Andrew And The Late Mrs Andrew.
Mr. William Bain , who was at one time a Member of the Roxburgh Borough Council, was born in Caithness-shire, Scotland, in 1857, and came to Otago with his parents when he was three years of age. He was brought up at Kaikorai to country pursuits, settled in the Teviot district in 1871, and three years afterwards established himself as a butcher. He is the owner of eighteen acres of freehold, and resides on a leasehold run of 14,000 acres, on which 200 head of cattle are depastured. Mr. Bain has long been an extensive dealer in cattle, and as a butcher he supplies a large district. He is a member of the local Foresters' Lodge. Mr. Bain was married, in 1880, to a daughter of Mr. H. McDouall, and has five daughters and one son.
Mr. Thomas Whelan , who was a Member of the Roxburgh Borough Council for five years, was born at Castlemaine, Victoria, in 1862. When he was two years of age he accompanied his parents to Otago, and served his apprenticeship at Lawrence, where he worked at his trade as a blacksmith till 1883, when he purchased the business established by Mr. T. Cameron in 1869. The premises consist of a stone smithy, the proprietor's residence, also in stone, and four shops, which stand on freehold land. Mr. Whelan is also proprietor of the Cairn Hill run, which consists of 5000 acres of leasehold, on which 2000 sheep are depastured. This station is managed by Mr. Whelan's second son, who resides on the property. Mr. Whelan was married, in 1880, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. McGuire, of the North of Ireland, and has four sons and two daughters.
The Roxburgh Post And Telegraph Office , which was established, first, as a post office in 1864, and as a telegraph office in 1868, is a stone building at the corner of Scotland and Hawick Streets. The building was completed on Good Friday, 1875, and consists of a postal and telegraph room, a public lobby, where there are sixteen private boxes, and a residence for the postmaster and his family. The Roxburgh Post Office is in telephonic communication with Coal Creek, Ettrick, Dumbarton and Miller's Flat. There is also a private wire to the Teviot station. It is said that the Roxburgh Post Office was the first place in New Zealand that made practical use of telephonic communication.
Mr. Thomas Coop , Postmaster and Telegraphist, Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages, Government Insurance Agent, and Officer for the Old Age Pension Act, was born in London in 1838. He left school at ten years of age, and became a bushman at fifteen. In 1853 Mr. Coop arrived in Melbourne, but in a few months removed to Tasmania, where he worked for three years. He then returned to Victoria, where he was puddling at Kangaroo Gully, Bendigo, and afterwards engaged in sawing. In 1859 he went to Broken River, and was afterwards at Benalla and Albury, and was at Lambing Flat, in New South Wales, at the time of the Chinese riot. On the outbreak of the Gabriel's Gully “rush,” in 1861, he came to Otago, but returned to Victoria in June the following year. In February, 1862, Mr. Coop was at Cromwell, where he engaged in cutting timber for the first bridge over the Molyneux river; at that time he also cut timber for the Mountney Hotel, Cromwell. He was afterwards engaged in shearing and in other country pursuits till 1868, when he joined the post office as lineman between Queenstown and Tokomairiro, a distance of 144 miles. Having opportunities of learning telegraphy, he became an operator in about a month, and was left in charge of the Queenstown station on the 29th of September, the month in which he joined the service. Five years later he was transferred to the Roxburgh office, of which he has had charge since 1873. Mr. Coop was married, in 1869, to a daughter of Mr. F. Ballantyne, of Dunedin. This lady died in 1889, leaving two sons and four daughters. In 1893 Mr. Coop contracted a second marriage with the widow of Mr. T. P. Michelle, of Roxburgh, who had left four sons and six daughters. A son and a daughter have been born of the second marriage.
The Roxburgh Public School was established in 1869, but the wooden building now occupied was built at a cost of £600 in 1890; it consists of three class rooms and a large lobby, and has accommodation for 200 pupils. There are 183 names on the roll, and the average attendance is 134. The school has a good playground, and substantial playsheds are erected for use in rough weather. The ground is over an acre in extent, and has a large frontage to Scotland Street. The headmaster is assisted by a mistress and one pupil teacher.
Mr. William Andrew Reilly , B.A., Master of the Roxburgh Public School, was born in Hobart, Tasmania, and educated at the Hobart High school, and at the New Zealand University, where he graduated Bachelor of Arts in 1884. He has held his present position in Roxburgh since October, 1882, Mr. Reilly commenced his scholastic career in Hobart, where he was a teacher for two years before coming to Otago in 1876. Soon after his arrival he joined the staff of the Otago Education Board, and was appointed to Allanton, where he remained one year. For five years subsequently he was headmaster of Waipori, and was appointed to Roxburgh in October, 1882. Mr. Reilly is vice-president of the cycling and cricket clubs, president of the Roxburgh Dramatic Club, and takes an interest generally in the various local bodies. He was married, in 1876, to a daughter of the late Mr. Wilcock, of Northumberland, and has three sons and one daughter. His eldest son was editor of the “Mount Benger Mail” from October, 1898, till shortly before his death in September, 1901.
Mr. W. A. Reilly.
The Mount Benger Mail (William Jack, Proprietor and Editor), Scotland Street, Roxburgh. This business was established on the 16th of May, 1880, by Mr. J. Weatherall, and conducted by him till September, 1896, when Messrs P. J. Dunne and W. P. Matthews became proprietors. Two years later Mr. Dunne retired from the firm, and the journal was afterwards conducted by Mr. Matthews, who was succeeded in the ownership by Mr. W. Jack. The “Mount Benger Mail” is a weekly publication, and contains six pages of seven columns each; it is published on Fridays, has an extensive circulation in Central Otago, and is an Independent Liberal in politics. The premises are leasehold, and the building, which is of stone, contains an Albion press, Platen jobbing machine, and a good font of newspaper and jobbing type.
Mr. W. P. Matthews , formerly Proprietor of the “Mount Benger Mail,” was born at Fairfax, near Milton, in 1867, and educated at Milton and Lawrence. For a time he worked as a journeyman in the “Tuapeka Times” office, Lawrence, and afterwards on the “Otago Daily Times,” Dunedin, the “Sydney Bulletin,” and the “Warracknabeal Herald,” Victoria. He returned to the colony in 1894, and again worked in the “Tuapeka Times” office till 1896, after which he joined Mr. Dunne in purchasing the “Mount Benger Mail.” Mr. Matthews was interested in the local railway league, of which he was secretary, and he was also secretary of the Teviot Horticultural Society. He was married, in November, 1895, to the second daughter of Mr. P. Howard, of Brim, Victoria, and had two sons. Mr. Matthews died on the 16th of January, 1904.
The Late Mr. W. P. Matthews And Mrs Matthews.
The Bank Of New Zealand at Roxburgh occupies a corner section in Scotland Street. The institution has been represented in the district since July, 1869, and the present stone building, which was erected in 1881, includes the banking chamber, with the manager's residence of six rooms attached A branch at Miller's Flat is worked from Roxburgh, and is attended every Tuesday. The manager is assisted by an accountant.
Mr. Lawrence Edmund Haines , Manager of the Bank of New Zealand at Roxburgh, was born in Gloucestershire, England, in 1860. He was educated at the Cheltenham College, came to New Zealand in 1881, via Melbourne, and soon after wards entered the service of the bank as clerk in Christchurch. Two, months later he was transferred to Kaiapoi, and was subsequently accountant at Geraldine, Temuka, Palmerston, and Lawrence. Mr. Haines was appointed manager at Roxburgh in January, 1891. He is secretary and treasurer of the Athenæum, of which he was at one time president, and is president of the local football club and vice-president of the cricket, sports and cycling clubs. Mr. Haines is a member of the Anglican Church, and has been a churchwarden and treasurer since 1894. He was married, in 1891, to a daughter of the late Mr. A. Jamieson, and has one son and one daughter.
Burton, Jabez , J.P., Registered Mining Agent, Auctioneer and Commission Agent, Scotland Street, Roxburgh. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Burton established his business in 1876. His premises are centrally situated in the main street of Roxburgh, and he holds sales as required in town or country. Mr. Burton also acts as secretary to a number of gold dredging and other companies, including the Ettrick, Golden Run, Golden Gate, Golden Treasure, and the Ladysmith Gold Dredging Company, Limited, and is agent in the district for the National Fire and Marine Insurance Company of New Zealand, the New Zealand Fire and Marine Insurance Company, and the New Zealand Accident Insurance Company. He is referred to elsewhere as town clerk of Roxburgh.
Kinaston, Robert Telford , Baker and General Storekeeper, Scotland Street, Roxburgh. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Agent for the Royal Insurance Company. This old established business was conducted by Mr. S. Wootton prior to 1892, since which it has been carried on by the present proprietor. The buildings are erected on freehold land; they are built in stone, and consist of a substantially built shop and dwelling and bakery. Mr Kinaston's connection extends five miles to Coal Creek on the one hand, and about fifteen miles in the direction of Lawrence. Mr. Kinaston is referred to in another article as Mayor of Roxburgh.
Hart, Edward Andrew , Merchant Tailor, Scotland Street, Roxburgh. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1890, Mr. Hart's premises consist of a stone building of one storey, with large double-fronted shop and workroom behind, erected on freehold land. There is also a residence attached. Mr. Hart is elsewhere referred to as a member of the Roxburgh Borough Council.
Albion Hotel (John Harry Waigth, licensee; Mrs Catherine Lucas, manager), Scotland Street, Roxburgh. This house contains nine bedrooms, two sitting-rooms, a commercial room, a billiard room, and a dining-room, which will accommodate forty guests, and the stables have four stalls and one loose box. The hotel was established in 1870, and has ever since been under the management of Mrs Lucas.
Mrs. Lucas , Manager, was born in Lancashire, England, and was left an orphan at seven years of age. She was brought up near Birmingham, and came out to Victoria with her guardian in 1853, and in 1855 was married to Mr. Harry Waigth, in Melbourne. This gentleman died in 1860, leaving one son. Mrs Lucas' second husband was Mr. C. R. D. Richardson, who came to the colony in 1864, and settled in the Roxburgh district. Mr. Richardson, who was drowned in 1868, left two sons and one daughter. Mrs Lucas was again married in 1871, to Mr. Charles Lucas, her present husband. One of Mrs. page 700 Lucas' sons, who is named after his father, Mr. C. R. D. Richardson, is Inspector of Schools under the Otago Education Board. Mrs Lucas has fourteen grandchildren. She conducted business as a storekeeper at Roxburgh East for about two years, and afterwards built the Ballarat Hotel, which she conducted for over ten years. This house was removed across the river, and now forms a portion of the Albion Hotel, which is conducted by Mrs Lucas, who is one of the oldest hotelkeepers in the district.
Commercial Hotel (Mrs Harriet A. Heron, proprietress), corner of Scotland and Hawick Streets, Roxburgh. This handsome hostelry is a modern building of two stories, erected in brick, and occupies the leading site in the town, opposite the post office. As one of the largest and most convenient hotels in Central Otago, it provides ample accommodation for visitors and tourists, and the bedrooms are large and well appointed. It has also a commercial room, billiard room, and several sitting rooms, in addition to bathrooms and other conveniences. Special apartments are set apart for ladies. The Commercial Hotel is the stopping-place for Cobb and Co.'s mail coach from Lawrence, and the starting-point for the coaches to Alexandra and Queenstown. In connection with the hotel there is a livery stable, which is also used by Messrs Craig and Co., for their coach horses. The hotel, which was established in Ferry Road, Roxburgh, in 1864, was acquired by the late Mr. H. H. Heron, in February, 1875. Since his death it has been conducted by his widow, who erected the present commodious and handsome building.
Mr. Henry Herbert Heron , who was a son of Major Heron, was born in New South Wales, and educated in England. he was brought up to pastoral pursuits, but after settling in New Zealand he was in business in Timaru as a butcher for a short time, and was for several years a storekeeper in the Lawrence district. He acquired the Commercial Hotel at Roxburgh in 1875, and carried it on till his death in 1896, since which the house has been efficiently conducted by Mrs Heron. Mr. Heron was married, in 1861, to the widow of Mr. W. Bowbyes, of Timaru.
Ormond's Hotel (A. H. Wedderspoon, Proprietor), Scotland Street, Roxburgh. Ormond's Hotel was established about 1869. The original building, which was of wood, was destroyed by fire in August, 1896; the present house was completed in May of the following year. At the back of the hotel there is a tree which was planted by Mrs Ormond about the time the hotel was established, and which is now fully twelve feet in circumference.
Mr. G. W. Spooner , formerly Proprietor of Ormond's Hotel, was born in Somersetshire, England, in 1855, and accompanied his parents to Port Chalmers by the ship “Cashmere” in 1869. He was brought up to business in the Colony, and entered the service of the Bank of Otago, in which he remained till the National Bank took it over. Mr Spooner had about eight years' banking experience altogether, and subsequently engaged in mining in Central Otago for about sixteen years, during which he resided at Macetown and Shotover. He afterwards became proprietor of Ormond's Hotel. Mr. Spooner was married, on the 21st of November, 1882, to a daughter of the late Mr. E. Elliot, of Macetown, and has three sons and two daughters. He now (1904) resides at Akaroa, where he is proprietor of Waeckerle's Hotel.
Andrew, Thomas , J.P., General Blacksmith and Engineer, Scotland Street, Roxburgh. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1869. The premises consist of a freehold section of three-quarters of an acre, on which are erected a shop and dwelling in stone. Mr. Andrew's workshop contains a turning lathe and other appliances for engineering work. Mr. Andrew is elsewhere referred to as a former Mayor of Roxburgh.
Veale Brothers (Henry Veale), General Merchants, Scotland Street, Roxburgh. Agents for the Colonial Mutual Life, Victoria Fire Insurance Company, and for the New Zealand Fire Insurance Company. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. The business conducted by this firm, which occupies a leading position in Roxburgh, was established in 1864 by the firm of Mackay Bros., the partners in which were Messrs J. and G. F. Mackay. It was conducted by the firm till about 1882, when Mr. G. F. Mackay retired from the business, which was then continued under the same style, by Mr. J. Mackay, until his death in July, 1898. For four months subsequently the business was conducted by trustees, from whom Mr. Veale bought it. The premises of the firm consist of a leasehold stone store, a chaff house, timber yards, stables and other outbuildings. The land is about an acre in extent, and extends right through to the back street. There is also a storeman's cottage on the property. The departments of this large business are drapery, ironmongery, grocery, timber, etc., and as the firm buys for cash in the open markets, it is thus able to offer every advantage to its customers, who extend from Coal Creek to the Island Block. A branch store was established in January, 1899, at Miller's Flat.
Mr. Henry Veale was born in Cornwall in 1860, educated and apprenticed to a draper in St. Columb, and was afterwards with Messrs Cook, Son and Co., of St. Paul's Churchyard, London, for four years. He came to Otago, via Melbourne, in 1882, when he joined the staff of Messrs Sargood, Son and Ewen, and was stationed in Auckland, where he gained experience in various departments, and latterly had the management of the Manchester department. In 1892, he joined a Fiji firm, but returned to Auckland after two years' experience, and was in the employment of Messrs Cook and Gray, for whom he opened a branch of their business in Dunedin. He then rejoined Messrs Sargood, Son and Ewen in Dunedin, and continued with the firm till December, 1898, as manager of the dress department. Mr. Veale was married, in 1887, to a daughter of the late Mr. G. Grice, of Auckland, and has two daughters.
Mr. And Mrs H. Veale And Family.
Birch, Albert , Farmer and Fruit Grower, Birchdale, Benger Flat, Roxburgh. The property owned by Mr. Birch consists of 590 acres of freehold, of which thirty-two acres are in orchard, and about 400 sheep are depastured on the land. Mr. Birch, who was born in Leek, Staffordshire, in 1840, became a clerk on the North Staffordshire Railway at the age of twelve, and continued in the service of the company till coming out to the colonies in 1860, when he arrived in Melbourne. He was at the Ovens goldfield, and came to the Dunstan “rush” in 1862. Two years later Mr. Birch settled in the Teviot district, where he was for several years engaged in mining, and was a part owner of a portion of the mine now worked by the amalgamated company. In 1866 he settled on a portion of the property which he now owns. He has paid great attention to his orchard, which produces scores of tons of fruit every year. Mr. Birch has three waggons and nine horses, which are used to take the fruit from the orchard to the Dunedin markets. He was married, in 1869, to a daughter of the late Mr. John Beighton, of Nottingham. This lady died in 1871. In 1875, Mr. Birch married the widow of the late Captain J. MeIntyre, of Dunedin, and one daughter has been born of this union.
Mr. And Mrs A. Birch And Daughter.
Broad, Philip Minnerd , Fruit Grower, Roxburgh. Mr. Broad was born at Tavistock, Devonshire, England, on the 8th of September, 1830. He was brought up as a miner, and emigrated to Adolaide in 1853, but subsequently went to Victoria, where he was goldmining till 1866, when he came to Otago, where he still followed mining. Some years later he built the hotel in Roxburgh, now known as the Goldfields Hotel, but which was conducted by him under the name of the Queen's Head Hotel for about four years. In 1886 he settled on three acres of freehold land, laid out in orchard and vineyard. Mr. Broad was married, in 1853, to a daughter of the late Mr. R. Cornish, of South Petherwyn, Cornwall, and a sister of the late Mr. T. Cornish, of the Terminus Hotel, Dunedin. This lady died on the 1st of October, 1882, leaving two sons and four daughters, and there are twenty grandchildren, and one great grandchild.
Mr. P. M. Broad And Portrait Of The Late Mrs Broad.
Harris, John James , Fruit Grower, “Halwyn,” Roxburgh. This property consists of twenty-five acres of freehold land, and three acres held under an occupation license. About ten acres are laid out in orchard, and there is also a considerable portion planted in strawberries. The orchard itself was planted in 1887. Mr. Harris was born near Penzance, Cornwall, on the 26th of April, 1843, came to Port Chalmers in 1863 by the ship “Cecelia,” and was for a short time engaged in goldmining. In 1872 Mr. Harris was in Auckland, and worked in the celebrated Caledonian mine at the Thames. Prior page 702 to this he was for two years in New South Wales. In 1887 he settled in the Roxburgh district. Mr. Harris has for a number of years been a member of the Roxburgh school committee. He is also connected with the Loyal Roxburgh Lodge of Oddfellows, in which he has passed all the chairs. Mr. Harris was married, in 1876, to a daughter of Mr. M. E. Manuel, of Coal Creek, and has four sons and two daughters.
Mr. J. H. Haughton.
Mackintosh, Thomas , Farmer, Teviot Flat, Roxburgh. Mr. Mackintosh was born in Sutheriandshire, Scotland, in 1833, and came out to New South Wales in 1866, but removed to Victoria in the following year. He was engaged in road and railway construction till 1861, when he settled in Otago. Mr. Mackintosh has had a mining experience of some twenty years, and has been a settler on the Teviot Fiat since 1874, when he bought the first portion of his estate. The property consists of 280 acres freehold and 200 acres of leasehold land, and he has resided on it since 1876. Mr. Mackintosh was at one time a member of the local school committee. He was married, in 1802, to a daughter of Mr. J. Crossan, of Commissioners Flat, and has one daughter and one grandchild: his only son met his death by drowning.
Mr. W. Malcolmson.
Mount Benger Station is the property of Mr. Matthew Elliott, and was originally part of the Teviot station. It comprises 40,000 acres of leasehold land and 670 acres of freehold.
Mr. William Anderson , formerly Manager of the Mount Benger Station, was born at Eweburn Station in 1865, and educated at the Lawrence District High School. He was brought up to pastoral life, was for sixteen years in the employment of the New Zealand Agricultural Company, and had charge of one of the company's out-stations at one time. He retired from the company's service in 1897, and was appointed manager of the Mount Benger station in May, 1898. As a Freemason, he is a member of Lodge Tarin-gatura, No. 100, New Zealand Constitution, and was secretary for two years. Mr. Anderson is the eldest son of Mr. Daniel Anderson, stock manager of the New Zealand Agricultural Company in Southland, and is jointly interested with his father in a farm in that district. He was married in January, 1899, page 703 to a daughter of Mr. H. McIvor, of Invercargill.
Mr. And Mrs W. Anderson.
Mr. And Mrs R. Wilson.
The Late Mr A. Macdonald And Mrs Macdonald.
Mr. John Pascoe Snell , who was one of the working shareholders of the Endeavour Dredge at Roxburgh, was born in Devonshire, England, in 1856. Heservedan apprenticeship for five years as a potter, and worked at his trade till 1874, when he sailed for Port Chalmers by the ship “Hindostan.” For about ton years he worked on the late Mr. W. Snell's property at Coal Creek. Mr. Snell bought an interest in the Endeavour dredge in 1898, and became a working shareholder. He was married, on the 6th of May, 1895, to a daughter of the late Mr. Jones, of Seaforth, Ireland, and had one son and one daughter. Mr. Snell died on the 1st of June, 1900.
The Late Mr J. Woodhouse.
Mr. Andrew Young has long been a settler in Roxburgh East, and was born in Fife-shire, Scotland, in 1834. He served an apprenticeship of four years at sea, and worked for two years afterwards as an able seaman. Mr. Young came to Victoria in 1853, and has since been engaged in mining. In 1861 he arrived at Gabriel's Gully, and was afterwards for six months at Waitahuna. He returned to Australia, and was at the Lachlan diggings in Now South Wales, but soon came back to Roxburgh, and was interested with Mr. J. Woodhouse in mining properties. On his way to the Dunstan “rush,” Mr. Young found gold at Teviot Flat. He settled in the district in 1862, and had to live on wild pork page 704 for the first fourteen days. With his partner he worked a portion of the claim afterwards owned by the Amalgamation Company. For a long time subsequently Mr. Young was engaged in dredging for gold. He worked for eight months on a current wheel dredge at Roxburgh, and was afterwards under-manager of the Pioneer dredge at Clyde, and he managed Dr. Hyde's dredge for eighteen months. He was afterwards manager of the Jubilee's Company's dredge.
Mr. Thomas Henry Gourley , Engineer on the Lady Roxburgh Dredge, was born at Dumbarton, Scotland, in 1855, and served his time with Messrs Denny and Co., the celebrated shipbuilders, with whom he worked for five years, after completing his term of apprenticeship. He came to New Zealand in 1879, as one of the engineers on board the s.s. “Te Anau”; subsequently he went Home in the s.s. “Austral,” but returned to the Colony again by the s.s. “Maranoa.” Mr. Gourley afterwards worked at the Timaru Freezing Works, and was also engineer of the Waitati sawmill, for three years. He was employed on the erection of the Enterprise dredge at Clyde, and worked on the dredge for eighteen months; and was afterwards engineer and manager of the Perseverance dredge. For a time Mr. Gourley was living at Collingwood, Nelson, where he dismantled the Golden Bay dredge, which he brought from Collingwood to Dunedin. He was afterwards engineer and manager for two years on board the Adina dredge, and subsequently worked in Dunedin. Mr. Gourley bought a share in the Roxburgh dredge, which he worked for a year, and then put a man in his place and accepted the position of engineer on the Dunedin dredge, in October, 1898. Mr. Gourley was employed, in Alexandra, to fit up Mr. Kelman's engineering shop, the first of its kind in Central Otago. He was married, in 1891, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Mitchell, of Waitaki, and has five daughters and two sons.
Mr. And Mrs T. H. Gourley And Family.
Kohinoor Dredge , near Roxburgh; Mr. Andrew Rennie, manager. Mr. Rennie was born in Stirlingshire, Scotland, in 1867, and arrived in the colony in 1889, via Melbourne. He had been brought up as an iron turner in Falkirk, but subsequently went to sea for six years. After being three months in Dunedin, Mr. Rennie settled in the Roxburgh district, and has been engaged in dredging since 1883. He was successively winchman, fireman and manager of the Roxburgh dredge, until its sale to the Endeavour Company, in which he was part owner. Mr. Rennie is a member of Court Roxburgh, Ancient Order of Foresters.
Mr. J. F. Kitto.
Mr. And Mrs W. Coulter And Family.
Mr. T. Louden.
Moore, William , Miner, Roxburgh East. Mr. Moore was born in Raphoe County, Ireland, in 1851, and brought up to country life. He came to Port Chalmers by the ship “Marie Band,” and followed gold and coalmining. In 1896 he settled in the Roxburgh district, having previously resided at Coal Creek Flat for many years, and served as a member of the local school committee. Mr. Moore is one of the partners of Louden and Co., and for a time he worked on a large hydraulic sluicing claim at Roxburgh East. He was married, in 1871, to a daughter of Mr. E. Stephenson, of Raphoe County, Ireland. This lady died in 1874, leaving one daughter. Mr. Moore contracted a second marriage in 1881, with a daughter of Mr. J. Stringer, of Roxburgh and there are three sons and four daughters of this union.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. A. C. MacKenzie.
The Moa Flat Public School , near Roxburgh, is conducted in a wooden building, which has a glebe of five acres of land. The school was originally opened below Ettrick. It has accommodation for thirty-five pupils, the roll number is from twenty to twenty-five, and the average attendance from sixteen to twenty-one. There is a six-roomed residence for the teacher. Miss L. lies is now (1904) in charge.
Moa Flat Flour Mill (Peter McGill, Milton, proprietor), Roxburgh. This mill was established in 1870, and is a three-storey wooden building, with a complete roller milling plant, capable of producing two sacks of flour per hour. The machinery is driven by a water turbine.
Mr. James Rickard , Manager of the Moa Flat Flour Mill, was born in Hampshire, England, in 1864. He was educated in Melbourne, came to New Zealand in 1874, but returned to Victoria, and was brought up to the milling trade in Melbourne. Mr. Rickard came back to Otago in 1885, entered the service of Mr. McGill in 1891, and was appointed to the management of the Moa Flat mill in 1897. He was for several years secretary of the Evan's Flat school committee, and was married, in 1898, to a daughter of Mr. G. Brook, of Evan's Flat.