The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Allanton is situated on the Taieri river fourteen miles south-west from Dunedin, and the main south line to Invercargill runs through the township, which is in the Taieri electoral district. The town was at first named Greytown, after Sir George Grey, but was afterwards altered to Allanton, in honour of the late Mr. James Allan, of Hopehill, who was one of the first settlers in the district. Allanton is governed by a town board. The land in the district is of first-class quality, and is farmed by many prosperous settlers. Allanton has a post and telegraph office and railway station, a public school, a Catholic chapel, Anglican and Presbyterian churches, a well-stocked library, and several private boarding houses and a first-class hotel. A fine view is obtained from the top of the hills on the road leading to Brighton and Saddle Hill.
The Allanton Railway Station And Post Office combined is situated fifteen miles south of Dunedin, on the main south line, and about twelve trains pass daily, all, with the exception of the north and south expresses, making the station a stopping place. The present building was erected early in 1894, the old station having been destroyed by fire in the previous year. There is a spacious booking office, which is well lighted, ventilated, and heated; a ladies' waiting room and a large covered vestibule. There is also a large goods shed, capable of storing quantities of merchandise and other goods.
Mr. Gerald Morgan , Stationmaster and Postmaster at Allanton, was born in Tasmania in 1874, and came over to New Zealand with his parents, at an early age He received his education at the Green Island school and entered the railway service at Dunedin, in 1891. Three years later he was appointed clerk at Hyde, and after filling a similar position at Outram, he returned to Dunedin for a further term of three years. Subsequently Mr. Morgan filled the positions of clerk and acting stationmaster at Pelichet Bay, and was then relieving officer at the head office before being appointed to his present position in May, 1904. He was married in May, 1904, to a daughter of Mr. G. Rutherford, of Outram.
Mr. G. Morgan.
The Allanton Public School , which was established about the year 1870, is a wooden building containing two lofty and well ventilated classrooms. There are fifty-seven scholars on the roll, with an average attendance of fifty. The schoolhouse, playground, and master's residence cover four acres of land. Mr. Frederick Scott Aldred is master, and Miss Elizabeth McKay, mistress.
Mr. Frederick Scott Aldred . Headmaster of the Allanton Public School, was born in London, in 1855, and two years later accompanied his parents to Tasmania.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. F. S. Aldred.
He was educated at the Hobart High School, and after taking his degree, taught for two years in private schools. Mr. Aldred came over to New Zealand in 1875, in the ship “Chanticleer,” which was lost on its return voyage. His first engagement was at the Collegiate Institute at Dunedin, where he remained for ten months, and was then appointed master at the Inch Valley school. After sixteen months spent in that position he resigned, and engaged in insurance business for a year. Mr. Aldred was then appointed master of the Macraes school, and was subsequently headmaster of the Alexandra school for over fifteen years before receiving his present appointment in 1894. As a Forester he has been a member of page 650 Court Pride of Alexandra since 1879, and acted as secretary for his Court for about thirteen years. Mr. Aldred married a daughter of Mr. Philip Newbury, of Dunedin, and sister of Mr. Philip Newbury, the noted tenor, and has one son and three daughters.
Roxburgh, Allan , Storekeeper, Allanton. Mr. Roxburgh was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1846, and before coming out to New Zealand served an apprenticeship of four years to the brass finishing trade. He arrived in New Zealand on the 3rd of January, 1665, and for a short time found employment with Messrs A. and T. Burt, Dunedin. Afterwards he was with Mr. William Shand, of Taieri, for a few months, and then journeyed to Waitaki, to learn sheep shearing. Later, Mr. Roxburgh found employment on the Maerewhenua station, North Otago, and on several farms in the Taieri; and subsequently he bought some land and farmed on his own account, for fourteen years. Wishing to take life a little easier in his declining years, Mr. Roxburgh bought his present business at Allanton, and has for many years conducted it successfully. He has been a member of the Allanton school committee. Mr. Roxburgh was married, in 1830, to a daughter of Mr. George Kemp, of London, and has a family of three sons.
Mr. And Mrs A. Roxburgh And Family.
Allan, Joseph , Farmer, “Hopehill,” Allanton. Mr. Allan is a son of the late Mr. James Allan, one of the early pioneers of the province, and was born on his present estate. He received his education at the Union Street school, the Otago Boys' High School, and the University of Otago. To qualify himself as a surveyor, Mr. Allan joined the Government survey camp, under Mr. John Strauchon, and after five years of service went up for his examination, which he passed on the 14th of May, 1879. He was then appointed by the Government to take charge of a survey part at Roxburgh, and held the position with credit to himself and his employers. Subsequently Mr. Allan returned to “Hopehill,” and took charge of the estate, which he conducted successfully for a number of years. However, a few years ago, he found it absolutely necessary, on account of ill-health, to take a much needed rest, so he leased the property to a tenant, and relieved himself of the care and worry of management. Mr. Allan is an honorary life member of the Otago Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and also a member of the Taieri Agricultural and Pastoral Association. In the past he has been a most successful exhibitor of sheep; indeed, at one time there were hardly any sheep in the Taieri that could compare with the Hopehill flocks. He was for ten years a member of the Otago Hussars, which he joined as a trooper, and resigned as a lieutenant. Mr. Allan has been twice married; first, in 1893, to a daughter of the late Mr. John Maitland, of the Isle of Man, Liverpool, who was owner and editor of the “Liverpool Mercury.” In 1898 he married a daughter of Dr. Salmond, Professor of Mental and Moral Science at the University of Otago. He has one son by his first wife, and two sons and one daughter by the second marriage.
The Late Mr. James Allan.
Christie, Thomas , Farmer, Allanton. Mr. Christie was born in North Berwick, Scotland, in 1853, and accompanied his parents to New Zealand when he was three years of age. He was educated at the East Taieri school, and the Otago Boys' High School, and afterwards started farming with his father on his present property at Allanton. Mr. Christie represents the Otokaia riding on the Taieri County Council; is chairman of the Allanton Town Board; a member of the Taieri Licensing Committee, and has been chairman of the Allanton school committee, and a member of the Athenæum committee. He is a prominent member of the Taieri Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and has taken many prizes at the annual shows, with horses, bred on his farm. Mr. Christie was married, in 1877, to a daughter of Mr. William McMeikan, of Halfway Bush, and has a family of five sons and two daughters. The farm covers an area of about 530 acres; much of the land is hilly, and suitable only for sheep, of which a large number are depastured. page 651 Cropping, however, is carried out on the flat with most satisfactory results.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo, Mr. T. Christie.
Mr, And Mrs W. Lawrence.
Mr. G. Nichol's Residence.
Mr. G. Nichol.
Ochtertyre Farm (Robert Webster and John Callander, proprietors), Allanton. This property consists of 201 acres of freehold—some of the best land in the Taieri. About 120 head of cattle are fattened for the Dunedin market, and turnips grow in such large quantities as to be able to feed ninety head of cattle per acre. Several pedigree brood mares are kept for breeding purposes, and cropping is carried on for the feeding of stock, wheat having averaged seventy bushels and oats up to one hundred bushels to the acre. Messrs Webster and Callander have been most successful in their exhibits at the Otago and Taieri agricultural shows. In 1902 at the Otago Agricultural and Pastoral Society's show, they gained three first prizes for turnips, against all Otago, winning Messrs Nimmo and Blair's fifteen guinea trophy, Messrs Wright and Stevenson's fifteen guinea trophy, and Fison's Cup. and they now hold the latter permanently, having won it twice. At the same Society's show, in 1903, they won the second prize for dry mare, second prize for mare in foal, and third prize for yearling filly. At the Taieri show, in 1903, they took first prize for mare in foal, second prize for pair of mares, and third for yearling filly.
Mr. And Mrs R. Webster.
Mr. And Mrs J. Callander.
Mr. And Mrs S. Young And Family.