The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Outram Town Board . The first chair-man of this board was Mr. Donald Borrie, and the present chairman is Mr. William Snow, who has filled the position since 1883. Messrs A. Chisholm, P. K. Low, G. Rutherford and T. A. White are the other members; Mr. John Grant, clerk. The total rateable value of properties in the town amounts to £36,000, the annual income is about £228, and the expenditure £185. The board is free from debt. The township is supplied with electric light, and with a good supply of pure water from a small burn or creek called the Whare Creek. The cost of the work was paid out of the fees obtained from licensing the sale of whisky, etc.
Mr. W. Snow.
Mr. A. Chisholm.
Mr. George Rutherford , A Member of the Outram Town Board, was born in Inchbonnie, Roxburghshire, Scotland, in 1850. He came out to Dunedin by the ship “Invercargill” in 1875, and was for five years engaged in farriery and smithy work for various employers. Mr. Rutherford still plies that calling at Outram on his own account. He has been for nearly twenty years a member of the Town and Domain Boards, a member of the school committee for fifteen years, of the Taieri Agricultural Society for twenty-two years, and of that Society's committee for fifteen years. Mr. Rutherford has also been a member of the West Taieri Caledonian Society for twenty-three years, and has served as its president. He is also a member of the Otage Agricultural and Pastoral Society, which has its headquarters in Dunedin. Mr. Rutherford is married, and has a family of two sons and four daughters.
Mr. G. Rutherford's Premises.
Mr. T. A. White
The West Taieri River Board was formed about 1870, and owes its establishment to the disastrous flood of 1868, when it became necessary to form protective works in the interests of the district. A raised embankment, about twelve miles long, has been erected on the west bank of the river, about a chain from the bank of the stream, thus enlarging the channel for storm water. Over £30,000 has been spent on the works, which, so far as Outram and the West Taieri lands are concerned, have proved successful, and those districts have sustained no damage from floods since April, 1877. A local loan of £8000 was obtained to start operations. It has been paid off at the rate of £425 in annual instalments, but £1004, bearing interest at 4 1/2 per cent., is still due. Loans amounting to £1003 18s 7d were also obtained from the Government. For the upkeep and other expenses, there is a general rate of one-twelfth of a penny in the pound, and for interest on the loan a special rate of one-twentieth of a penny in the pound. There are 138 ratepayers, and a capital rateable value of £195,660. Members of the Board for 1904: Mr William Snow (chairman), Messrs Alexander Chisholm, George Rutherford, James W. Blair, Samuel Young; John Bathgate and James Patrick; Mr. John Grant, Clerk.
Mr. Richard Thomas Pearce Andrews , formerly a Member of the West Taieri River Board, was born in Plymouth, Devon, in 1827. He first came to Newcastle, New South Wales, in 1857, and was afterwards at Sydney and Melbourne, and visited the gold “rushes” at Bendigo, Ararat, Castlemaine, Ovens, Sandy Creek, Dunolly, Inglewood, and various other places. In 1864 he came to Port Chalmers by the “South Australia,” and, after being some time in the Clutha district, he went to Lawrence, where he was farming for about seventeen years. He then removed to Outram, where he became engaged in store-keeping. Mr. Andrews has had a wide experience with horses; he worked for about nine years at the London Veterinary College, and for many years subsequently he attended to the troop horses. He has one daughter and three grand-daughters. Mr. Andrews now, (1904) resides in Dunedin.
The Taieri Mounted Rifles . This corps was formed in 1901, and is known as F Squadron of the First Battalion, Otago Mounted Rifles. There are forty-five troopers on the roll, and drill is held once a month the Henley division drilling at Henley and the Outram division at Outram. The corps goes into camp for instruction yearly about the end of October. Mr. John Campbell is captain, and Messrs John Andrews and Andrew Chesney, lieutenants.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Captain J. Campbell.
The Outram Railway Station , which was opened in October, 1877, is the terminus of the branch railway from Mosgiel. The buildings are of the usual description, and afford all the necessary conveniences for the travelling public. There are also goods and engine sheds, and a crane to lift four tons. Accommodation to truck stock is provided at Shand's flag station, about a mile from Outram. The goods traffic consists chiefly of wool and agricultural products.
Mrs Donella Campbell Little , Mistress of Outram Public School, was born in Dunedin. She was educated at the High Street school, where she served a pupil-teachership of four years, and after two years at the Normal School, was appointed to the charge of Moa Creek school, where she remained for eighteen months. She was then appointed to Waikouaiti, but after serving for fifteen months she resigned her position and was married to Mr. W. J. Little, of Dunedin, bookkeeper at the D.I.C. Mr. Little died in January, 1897. Mrs Little then rejoined the staff of the Otago Education Board, and after acting as relieving teacher at the Normal School and at Mornington, was appointed to the position of mistress at Roxburgh, whence she removed to Outram. Mrs Little holds a D2 certificate.
White, Thomas Arthur , Chemist, Holyhead Street, Outram. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. White served his indentureship with Mr. F. J. Clarke, and began his own business in Outram in 1881. In conjunction with the business of his pharmacy, Mr. White conducts an agency for the “Rower” and “Raglan” bicycles. Mr. White is referred to elsewhere as a member of the Outram Town Board.
Bank Of New Zealand , Outram. This branch was opened in October, 1874. The present bank building is situated at the corner of Hoyelake and Holyhead Streets, and consists of a banking chamber and manager's room. There is also a residence for the manager.
Mr. Edward Mcphail , sometime Accountant of the Bank of New Zealand at Outram, was born at the Plain Station, Papakaio, near Oamaru, in 1870. He entered the bank's service in 1887, and was successively stationed at Oamaru, Timaru, and Ashburton, prior to being appointed to Outram, where he took great interest in local affairs, especially in athletic sports, and was secretary of the Outram Cricket Club, and a member of the Cycling, Caledonian, and Debating Societies. Mr. McPhail was transferred from Outram to Invercargill.
Chisholm, Alexander , Carpenter and Builder, Main Road, Outram. Business established in 1863. Mr. Chisholm is further referred to as a member of the Outram Town Board.
Outram Dairy Factory (Taieri and Peninsula Company, proprietors.) This factory is situated about a mile from the railway station, and was first opened in 1891, by Messrs Cuddie Bros., and the present owners have worked it for about ten years. The daily supply for four months of summer is about 1,200 gallons, and 700 for the balance of the season; in the winter time the supply amounts to about 600 gallons, every other day. There are about thirty suppliers. The factory is equipped with all necessary plant and appliances, and the cream is forwarded to the head factory in Dunedin, and ultimately took charge of the factory at Outram.
Mr. Thomas Duncan Bathgate , formerly Manager of the Outram Dairy Factory, was born in the Taieri district. He was for four years with the company at its head factory in Dunedin, and ultimately took charge of the factory at Outram.
Mr. T. D. Bathgate.
Terminus Hotel (William A. Woods, proprietor), Outram. This fine two storey building stands opposite the railway station and close to the banks and courthouse. It was erected in 1878 by Mr. Iveson, who transferred the license from Woodside to Outram. After the ownership had passed through various hands, it was finally bought by Mr. Woods. The house contains about twenty rooms, including a large dining room, several private parlours, single and double bedrooms, and a billiard room and bathrooms, with hot and cold water and shower connections. The bars are stocked with wines and whiskies of the best brands, and Mr. Woods makes a specialty of finely matured liquors and cigars. In connection with the hotel there are extensive livery and bait stables, where visitors and travellers can be supplied with single and double-seated buggies and gigs, and with saddle horses thoroughly quiet and well broken in. The house is a favourite resort with the general public and is extensively patronised on Sundays by cyclists and visitors from Dunedin, who take advantage of the fine roads for a spin or a drive out to Outram.
Mr. William A. Woods , the Proprietor, is the eldest son of Mr. D. W. Woods, the well known building contractor of Dunedin, and was born in Dunedin, where he was educated at the Christian Brothers' school. He was for a while in the service of Messrs Guthrie and Larnach, and was subsequently in the office of the Victorian Insurance Company. Afterwards he learned with his father the trade of a builder and contractor. Some years later he entered the service of Mr. Walter Guthrie, by whom he was employed as bookkeeper, and was subsequently the firm's travelling representative. On the opening of the Southland Sawmilling Company's business in Dunedin, Mr. Woods was appointed agent, and occupied the position until his retirement five years later, when he bought the Terminus Hotel, at Outram. Mr. Woods is possessed of high musical ability, and was for years a member of the Dunedin Liedertafel Society, and was baritone singer of St. Joseph's choir, Dunedin. He married Miss Owen, daughter of Mr. Owen, of the Farmers' Arms Hotel, South Dunedin, one of the early colonists, and has one son.
Snow, William , General Storekeeper, Timber and Produce Merchant, also Produce and Commission Agent, Bell Street, Outram. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. The Outram agencies for the Woods Binder and the National Fire Company are conducted by Mr. Snow, who is further referred to as the chairman of the Outram Town Board.
Mr. And Mrs J. Bathgate And Family.
Campbell, John , Farmer, Allanton. Mr. Campbell was born at Brighton, Otago, in 1874, and educated at the West Taieri father in farming at Outram. Mr. Campbell was later on for a time engaged at the Woodside creamery, and holds an engineer's certificate. He is president of the Taieri Ploughing Match Society, and has held the championship, besides winning several prizes at the yearly competitions. Mr. Campbell is also president of the Momona Debating Society, and in 1903 held the office of secretary of the Momona school committee. He is a member of the Taieri Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and holds several prizes for hacks, bred and exhibited by himself. Mr. Campbell goes in largely for dairy farming and horse breeding, but he also crops some of his land, and keeps a few ewes for breeding purposes. He is referred to in another article as captain of the Taieri Mounted Rifles.
Dow, James , Farmer, “Carlowrie,” Outram. Mr. Dow is the youngest son of the late Mr. James Dow, of Dowfield, one of the pioneers of West Taieri, and was born at Woodside in 1853. He was educated at the West Taieri school, and subsequently carried on the Dowfield estate, with his brother. On the death of Mr. Dow, senior, the estate was subdivided. Mr. James Dow's portion consists of 118 acres, on which he has erected a handsome villa residence, and substantial outbuildings. Mr. Dow carries on mixed farming and dairying, and also breeds Clydesdale horses. During the lifetime of his father he was a successful exhibitor at the various agricultural and pastoral shows, and took the championship for Romney Marsh sheep. He is a member of the Farmers' Union, and was a volunteer for many years; and as an Oddfellow has passed through several of the chairs of his lodge. Mr. Dow married Miss Cuddie, daughter of Mr. Cuddie, Saddle Hill, who arrived by the “Philip Laing.”
Patrick, James , Leecreek Farm, West Taieri. Leecreek Farm takes its name from the Lee stream which runs through the property, which was formerly a portion of the Shand estate. It consists of 629 acres, and had passed through various hands before 1896, when Mr. Patrick took possession. He has since then spent large sums in improving the estate; and the dwelling house, stables, and other buildings have all been built with a view to endurance. The whole of the land has been thoroughly drained, and, with the deep ploughing system carried on by Mr. Patrick, it is in the highest state of cultivation. The Clydesdales and other pedigree horses bred on the farm are well known throughout New Zealand. Mr. Patrick's imported sires and mares are of the most famous and aristocratic strains in the Old Country, and have won numerous prizes at various shows. The imported sires include “Olydebank,” “Aikenbrae,” and “Agitator.” The stables at Leecreek are of wood, built on concrete foundations, and have concrete floors. There are twelve stalls for draught horses, six loose boxes, and two stalls for hacks. About 200 acres are annually sown with wheat, and forty acres laid down in turnips; the balance is in grass. There are fifty purebred Shropshire rams, and 600 crossbred sheep on the farm. Numerous bullocks are annually fattened, and forty horses, exclusive of foals, fillies, and colts, are kept on the farm.
Mr. James Patrick Is the eldest son of the late Mr. James Patrick, of Queenzieburn, Stirlingshire, Scotland, a most successful breeder of Clydesdale horses, and nephew of Mr. William Patrick, a prominent old colonist of Dunedin. He came to Otago in 1886, and after being for one year on the Levels station at Timaru, removed to Outram and managed his uncle's farm for ten years. In 1890 Mr. Patrick took possession of his present farm. He is a member of the committees of both the Otago and Taieri Agricultural and Pastoral Associations, and has been a successful exhibitor of horses at those shows. Mr. Patrick married Miss Blair, daughter of the late Mr. John Blair, of Outram.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. J. Cullen.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Miss N. Cullen
(Niece Of Mr. James Cullen).
Mr. J. Dow.