Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]

Taieri Mouth And Taieri Beach

Taieri Mouth And Taieri Beach.

Taieri Mouth And Taieri Beach are situated twenty-two and twenty-four miles respectively, in a south-westerly direction from Dunedin, and, being on the sea coast, command an extensive view of the Pacific Ocean. They are reached by coach, via Brighton, or by rail to Henley, thence by boat down the Taieri river. Muta Rata, an island opposite the mouth of the river, and which can be reached at low tide, was formerly a whaling station, and was frequented in the early days by the crews of Mr. John Jones and other captains of the whaling industry. Among the first settlers was a noted character, who was called the Hermit of Taieri Mouth, but was known better by the name of John Bull, his real name being John Edward O'Neil. Many parts of the Taieri river are named after this celebrity, and many stories are still told about his wonderful strength. For a wager he carried a cannon, weighing five hundredweight, from the Otago Heads to the Maori Kaike, and at another time he undertook to carry a sack of flour from Dunedin to Clutha, a feat he successfully accomplished. Taieri Mouth and Taieri Beach are very popular watering places in the summer season, as they furnish ample opportunities for bathing, fishing, boating and shooting. The fascinating game of golf is also much in vogue, and players make their links on the sands of the beach. Along the coast there are numerous cottages which may be rented for a reasonable sum, and accommodation can also be obtained at several farm houses. During the season a steam launch runs from Henley down the Taieri river for the convenience of holiday-seekers and picnic-makers, and the rugged scenery on the journey is well worth seeing. For the use of passengers and traffic across the Taieri river at the mouth, a punt is provided, and is large enough to accommodate a team and vehicle. Each place has a post office, telephone and telegraph bureau, a Presbyterian church, public school and library, and a hall for entertainment.

Jeffrey, Andrew , Sawmiller, Taieri Mouth. Mr. Jeffrey was born at Tweed-mouth, Berwick-on-Tweed, England, in 1847, and served an apprenticeship to the engineering trade; subsequently he removed to London, where he worked as an engineer for ten years. Mr. Jeffrey came out to New Zealand, in 1879, by the ship “Thomas Stevens,” and found employment at the Government workshops,
Mr. And Mrs A. Jeffrey.

Mr. And Mrs A. Jeffrey.

Hillside, Dunedin, where he remained for two years. Wishing to better himself, he went to Taieri Mouth, and, in partnership with Messrs Blatch and Joseph, established a sawmilling plant; afterwards he bought his partners' interest, and conducted the business in his own name. Mr. Jeffrey has about 200 acres of bush, and in the busy season he turns out 2000 feet of timber per day, chiefly red pine, which is shipped up the Taieri river to Titri, and then railed to Dunedin. He is a member of the Otago Lodge of Freemasons, No. 844, E.C. Mr. Jeffrey was married, in 1889, to a daughter of Mr. James Davidson, of Ahoghill, Glebe, County Antrim, Ireland.
Milne, James , Farmer Taieri Beach. Mr. Milne was born in Cupar, Fifeshire, Scotland, in 1840, and during his youth served an apprenticeship to the pattern-making and joinery trade. He came to New Zealand in September, 1862, in the ship “Robert Henderson,” and was for two years engaged in the building trade in Dunedin. In 1864, Mr. Milne, with his parents, moved to Taieri Beach, and began farming. Mr. Milne's farm consists of 330 acres of freehold land, and 200 acres of leasehold, and he keeps about 600 Leicester and Merino crossbred sheep, the lambs of which are fattened for the market. From 1874 to 1876 he held the appointment of Inspector of Public Works, under the Provincial Government, and superintended the construction of bridges at Shag river, and at Inchclutha, Stirling; so well was the work carried out that both bridges are still (1904) standing, and seem likely to last for years to come. Mr. Milne is a member of the Taieri Beach page 659 school committee, and was formerly a member of the Waihola Road Board. He was married, in 1376, to a daughter of the late Mr. Thomas McDonald, of Inchclutha, and there
Mr. And Mrs J. Milne.

Mr. And Mrs J. Milne.

is a family of six sons and one daughter. Mr. Milne is a Justice of the Peace for the colony.