The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
The Oamaru Cemetery , which has frontages to Greta and Test Streets, and to page 551 the town boundary, was opened about the year 1860. It is a triangular plot of ground, containing twelve acres, and is well kept, being planted with ornamental trees and flower borders. There are two entrances—one on the north, and the other on the east; and the caretaker's residence is in Test Street, opposite the north entrance.
Mr. Joseph Baker , Caretaker of the Oamaru Cemetery, was born in Mid-Kent England, in August, 1837. After attending school, he became a gardener, and arrived at Port Chalmers in February, 1875, by the ship “Gairloch.” He settled in Oamaru, where he found employment as a gardener, and was employed to plant trees in the cemetery. On the 8th of November, 1875, he was appointed to the position of caretaker, and he also acts as sexton. In the Old Country Mr. Baker was a member of the Order of Foresters. He was married, in 1862, to a daughter of the late Mr. William Brooker [sic], of Kent. Mrs Baker died in September, 1889, leaving four daughters and two sons.
Mahan and Muir, photo.
Mr. J. Baker.