The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
The Oamaru Freezing Works (New Zealand Refrigerating Company, Limited, proprietors), were built in 1885. These works are located in a stone building of one storey, and have freezing capacity and storage for 20,000 carcases of sheep. The sheep are slaughtered at Eveline, three miles up the line, where the manure works of the company are situated. The engineer-in-charge, Mr. Peter Jack, was born in Roxburgh, Scotland, in 1852, and has been in charge of the works at Oamaru since 1897.
Meikle, James , Wholesale and Retail Butcher, Corner of Thames and Coquet Streets, Oamaru. Telephone, 101. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Slaughterhouse, Cape Wanbrow. This oldestablished business was founded about 1872, and was bought by the present proprietor in April, 1898. The leasehold premises are well situated in a central part of the town, and comprise a large corner shop with office, and small-goods department at the back. At the slaughterhouse at Cape Wanbrow, Mr. Meikle kills on an average, twenty bullocks and 150 sheep per month, and finds a ready market for prime beef and mutton, not only in Oamaru, but throughout the North Otago district. A notice of Mr. Meikle as a prominent member of the Order of Druids appears in another part of this work.
Russell And Taylor (Alexander Russell and Peter Clark Taylor), General Butchers, Thames Street, Oamaru, Slaughter House. South Oamaru. This business, which has steadily progressed since its establishment, in 1899, is conducted in a stone building containing a shop, an office, and a small goods room. Meat is delivered daily throughout the town and suburbs.
Mr. Alexander Russell , one of the Proprietors, was born, in 1889, at Enfield, where he attended school and learned his trade. He worked at his business or acted as a shepherd till joining his present partner in 1899.
Mr. Taylor was born on Banks Peninsula, Canterbury, in December, 1870, and was brought up to country life. He became a shepherd, and worked as such for a number of years in the North Island before joining Mr. Russell in business at Oamaru in 1899.
Cross, Albert Francis , Fish Merchant and Curer. Thames Street, Oamarn. Mr. Cross was born in London, in 1867, and came to Wellington in 1886, by the s.s. “Tongariro.” He established a business in that city, in Willis Street, in 1890. Three years later he removed to Dunedin, and in 1896 settled in Oamaru. His premises occupy a stone building, and consist of a double-fronted shop, with a verandah. Fish luncheons are provided in a well fitted-up refreshment room, and the proprietor has also a curing establishment on the reclaimed land opposite the Railway Goods Shed. Mr. Cross was married, in August, 1898, and has one son and one daughter.
Mahan and Muir, photo.
Mr. and Mrs A. F. Cross.