The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
The “Oamaru Mail”
The “Oamaru Mail” (Hon. George Jones, M.L.C., proprietor, William Hood, page 525 manager, James Mitchell and Walter J. Jones, sub-editors), Tyne Street, Oamaru. Telephone, 27. P.O. Box 138. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand, Ltd. This daily evening paper was originally established by the Evening Mail Company, and its first number appeared on the evening of Saturday, the 22nd of April, 1876. It was acquired in 1877 by its present proprietor, who changed its name to the “Oamaru Mail,” and made it noted for fearlessness and audacity. Mr. Jones still edits his paper, which has been managed for many years by Mr. William Hood. The first edition of the “Mail” is published daily at 3 p.m., and is timed for despatch by numerous trains. The journal is a four page paper of twenty-eight columns, and has a daily circulation of 2,100 copies throughout the North Otago and South Canterbury districts. The “Oamaru Mail” office is centrally situated in Tyne Street. It is a two-storey stone building, which was erected for the domicile of the paper. A water motor, supplied from the corporation water works, and a gas engine drive the plant, which consists of a two-feeder double royal Wharfdale machine, two Platen machines, three linotypes, and other up-to-date appliances, besides an ancient machine on which, it is said, the first issue of the “Melbourne Age” was printed, and also the first issue of the “Otago Daily Times.” Of course this “old identity” is now superannuated, and is, in fact, little better than a museum specimen.