Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]


page 432


Purakanui is situated twelve miles north-east from Dunedin by rail, and is in the county of Waikouaiti. The village lies on the sea coast, and is backed up by ranges of hills. Fishing is carried on, and in the hilly country a number of settlers are engaged in dairy farming. Purakanui is a favourite seaside resort with visitors from Dunedin. Good rabbit shooting is obtainable, and there is sea fishing in the bay. The name means “Plenty of bush,” and at one time the whole district was covered with trees and scrub. Purakanui has a post and telegraph office, railway station, and public school.

The Purakanui School has been established for about thirty years. It is a two-roomed building with accommodation for eighty scholars, and two teachers. There are ten acres of excellent land attached to the headmaster's residence, which contains six large rooms. The school roll contains over seventy names, and there is an attendance of over sixty.

Mr. Charles Cattanch Rawlinson , Master of the Purekanui Public School, was born in Hamilton, Victoria, in 1873. He arrived in the Colony at an early age with his parents, was educated mostly at North East Valley school, Dunedin, and after a year's study at the Normal Training College, he was entrusted with the duty of opening the Hough Ridge school in 1895. He was married, in 1898, to a daughter of Mr. James Arthur, of North East Valley.

Mr. and Mrs C. C. Rawlinson.

Mr. and Mrs C. C. Rawlinson.