The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Cook, John , Surgeon Dentist, corner of George and Mount Streets, Port Chalmers, Mr. Cook was born in Port Chalmers, in August, 1880, and is the eldest son of Mr. John Cook, sometime superintending engineer for the Union Steam Ship Company, and at present a partner in the firm of Messrs Stevenson and Cook, of the Maori Ironworks, Port Chalmers. He was educated at the Port Chalmers District High School. In October, 1895, he was apprenticed to Mr. J. P. Armstrong, surgeon dentist, of Dunedin, and four years later went to Timaru, where he spent some months under Mr. Scott. In March, 1902, Mr. Cook left for South Africa as a corporal in the medical staff of the Ninth Contingent, but returned in August of the same year. A few months later he qualified as a surgeon dentist, and in May, 1903, established his present practice. His surgery is situated on the second floor of a two storey wooden building in the heart of the town, and the surgery, waiting room, and a laboratory are well furnished throughout.