The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Mr. Charles Stephen Reeves
Mr. Charles Stephen Reeves , J.P., who was Mayor of the city of Dunedin in 1876–7, was born in Wexford, Ireland, and came to New Zealand in June, 1863, after a residence of eight years in Victoria. In 1873 he was returned to the city Council for Leith Ward, which he represented till May, 1876. During the term of his mayoralty, which followed closely on the abolition of the provinces, Mr. Reeves was called on to discharge many of the duties which had previously devolved upon the superintendent. A member of the first Harbour Board. Mr. Reeves was chairman of that body when the first contract for dredging the Victoria Channel was let to Mr. D. Proudfoot. In 1874 he was returned as a member of the Provincial Council for Dunedin, and subsequently served for eight years as a member of the Land Board, and was one of the first Hospital Trustees. Mr. Reeves joined the Dunedin Artillery in 1863; he was captain of the North Dunedin Rifles for nine years, and was promoted in 1885 to the rank of major in command of the first battalion of Otago Volunteers, from which he retired in January, 1890, as lieutenant-colonel on the unattached list Mr. Reeves has been a Master Mason since 1859, and a member of the Order of Oddfellows since 1864. Mr. Reeves is referred to in another article in connection with the business carried on by himself and his son as accountants and commission agents, in Vogel Street, Dunedin.
Mr C. S. Reeves.