The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Mr. William Mason
Mr. William Mason , the first Mayor of Dunedin, held the office for two years, from 1865 to 1867, and he had previously been a member of the Town Board. He was born at Ipswich, England, In 1810, and arrived in Sydney in 1838. In 1840 he came over to Auckland with Governor Hobson, as clerk of works. Subsequently he was elected to the House of Representatives for the Pensioners' Settlement. Mr. Mason removed to Dunedin in 1862, to superintend the erection of the Bank of New Zealand. He also designed a number of buildings throughout the colony, including the Dunedin Exhibition of 1865. Mr. Mason entered into partnership with Mr. W. H. Clayton, afterwards colonial architect, and father of Lady Vogel; and subsequently he went into business with Mr. N. Y. A. Wales. In after years he farmed for a while at Otepopo, and, on retiring, took up his residence at Paradise, Diamond Lake, twelve miles from Glenorchy at the head of Lake Wakatipu. In shooting competitions he took a lively interest, and was an excellent marks man. He was the winner if the first prize offered by the Government in the colony for rifle shooting, and was second for the colonial belt, in the first annual competition. Mr. Mason returned to Dunedin in 1894, and died on the 22nd of June, 1897.
The late Mr. W. Mason.