, in the county of Waikouaiti, is a small settlement in the Otago Harbour, lying seven miles northeast by rail from Dunedin, and within one mile of Port Chalmers. Its modern name, Glendermid, has not yet become popular; its first name was derived from the many sawyers working in the bush in earlier days, and its last from the sawmilling carried on more recently by the late Mr MacDermid. The chief industry of Sawyers' Bay is the large tannery of Messrs Michaelis, Hallenstein, and Farquhar, which is described and illustrated elsewhere in this volume. A portion of the district is within the borough of West Harbour. The township has a post and telegraph office, railway station, and a public school.
The Sawyers' Bay Public School
was established to supply the children of the district with primary education, and it is needed, though Port Chalmers is only about a mile distant. There is an average attendance of over ninety children.
Mr. Oscar Davis Flamank
, who is Headmaster of the Sawyers' Bay School, was born at Waikouaiti in 1868, and educated at Hyde, Central Otago. His pupil-teachership of four years was served at Otepopo, and after fifteen months at the Normal school, Dunedin, he gained the E certificate, and at the same time matriculated and obtained also a D certificate. In 1887 Mr. Flamank became headmaster of the North Otago Heads school, and held the position until the school was closed about eighteen months later. He afterwards served for six years in a similar position at Ngapara school. In March, 1894, he was appointed first assistant
in the Oamaru North school, and in March, 1899, was promoted to his present position. Mr. Flamank has long been known in musical circles. While a resident at Ngapara be was choirmaster at the Presbyterian Church, and on removing to Oamaru, he acted in a similar capacity at the Wesleyan Church. In the Manchester Unity, Independent Order of Oddfellows, he is attached to Lodge Loyal Prince of Wales, Port Chalmers, and passed through the various chairs in the Ngapara Lodge. For two years he was connected with the South Dunedin Rifles Corps. Mr. Flamank was married in 1893 to a daughter of Mr. M. Morton, grocer, of Kaikorai, Roslyn, Dunedin, and has three children. He has been honorary secretary and treasurer of the Otago Educational Institute for three or four years, and has on three occasions represented Otago teachers at the annual meeting of the New Zealand Educational Institute. Mr. Flamank is at present (1904) teacher of the junior class in English at the Dunedin Technical School.