Mr. Richard Thomas Wheeler
, An old colonist, was born in 1828 at Bandon, County Cork, Ireland, where he was educated. Mr. Wheeler's father was a large
cotton-spinner, and the subject of this notice was brought up to the manufacturing business and gained a general insight into mercantile life. He arrived in Melbourne in 1855, and remained in Victoria for about seven years in business as bookseller and news agent in Bendigo. He crossed the Tasman Sea to Dunedin in 1862, and soon afterwards started in a printing and an advertising agency business in Stafford Street, which he conducted till 1891. Mr. Wheeler was the founder of the “Mercantile and Bankruptcy Gazette,” which was amalgamated in June, 1887, with “The Weekly Advertiser.” Messrs. Russell and de Veaux entering into partnership with him under the style of R. T. Wheeler and Co. This partnership continued till August, 1890, when the business, together with that of the New Zealand Mutual Creditors' Association, Ltd., proprietors of “The Trade Protection Gazette,” was merged into the Trade Auxiliary Company, Ltd. This company has since continued the publication of the “Mercantile and Bankruptcy Gazette.” Mr. Wheeler is an Oddfellow, being attached to Leith Lodge, and has successively filled every office in the Order. He was married in 1860 to the eldest daughter of the late Mr. F. G. Faul, of Bendigo, and has one son (Mr. R. T. Wheeler, junior), and three daughters, the eldest of whom is married to Mr. Adam Paterson, of Dunedin.