Mr. William Henry Valpy
, J.P., Kohimarama, Glenorchy, Lake Wakatipu, is one of the earliest settlers of Otago. He arrived with his parents by the ship “Ajax” on the 8th of January, 1849. Prior to the family leaving England in 1847 Mr. Valpy's father had purchased land at the second or third balloting in London under the Otago Association. Mr. Valpy, senior, first settled at “The Forbury,” by the Ocean Beach, now known
as St. Clair, and placed his son in charge of a run at Waihola. In 1852, Mr. W. H. Valpy shipped the first fat stock sent by sea from Otago to Canterbury, and he himself, accompanied by two shepherds, returned to Otago on horseback, a feat never accomplished by anyone else before that time. During the same year Mr. Valpy removed to the Horseshoe Bush run, at the head of Lake Waihola; in 1854, he took up the Maerewhenua station, in the Waitaki district, North Otago, and in 1856, purchased the Oamaru and Upper Taipo runs; but, in consequence of a severe accident, he was compelled to sell his properties. Mr. Valpy then took up the Patearoa run, in the Upper Taieri, but sold it in 1860 to the late Dr. Buchanan. After that Mr. Valpy lived in retirement until 1874, when he was appointed Crown lands ranger for the northern portion of Otago, but retired from the position in 1888, when he and his family took up two runs at the head of Lake Wakatipu; they after-wardssold these properties. In the early sixties, Mr. Valpy was made a Justice of the Peace, and he acted as Sergeant-at-Arms in the Otago Provincial Council, during the time that Mr. Julius Vogel was Provincial Treasurer. He was married in 1858 to Penelope Caroline, daughter of the late Mr. S. F. Every, of Silver Acres, Anderson's Bay, Dunedin, and their family consists of five sons and three daughters.