The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Mr. Edward L. Peterson
Mr. Edward L. Peterson , Of Mornington, is a son of the late Mr. Peter Peterson, a leading lawyer who practised in Edinburgh and Glasgow, and came to Otago in 1849, by the ship “Kelso,” with a speculative shipment of goods, which proved unsuccessful. In December of the same year his wife and family of two sons and five daughters joined him in Dunedin, where they arrived by the ship “Mooltan. In 1851 Mr. Peterson left his family in Dunedin, and proceeded to Sydney, where, for about nine years, he followed his profession; then he returned to Dunedin, and about 1863 went to Lower Waipori (now called Berwick), where he was associated with his family in farming pursuits until 1874, when he went to Hawera in the North Island, with his eldest son, Peter, with whom he remained until his death in 1878. Mrs Peterson survived him until 1887. Mr. E. L. Peterson was born in Glasgow, Scotland, and arrived in Otago with his mother and other members of the family, by the “Mooltan,” in December, 1849. He was educated at Dunedin, and went through the ordinary experience of hard work like other early colonists. Mr. Peterson was engaged in farming at Anderson's Bay and subsequently at Lower Waipori, where he remained until 1871, when he with his mother and some other members of the family, returned to Dunedin. Later on Mr. Peterson engaged in contracting, but on the death of his mother, in 1887, he rejoined his sisters in Dunedin. He has never taken any active part in public affairs, and is unmarried, and a member of the Otago Early Settlers' Association. He has four sisters still living; namely, Miss Janet Peterson, who resides with him, Mrs Grey, and Mrs Cross, residing at Mornington, and Mrs Walters, at Lower Waipori. Mr. Peterson's elder brother, Peter, is now (1904) engaged in farming with his family in Queensland.
Mr. E. L. Peterson. Mrs Albert Cross. Miss Janet Peterson.