The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
The Dunedin And Roslyn Tramway Company, Limited . Directors: Messrs John Roberts, C.M.G. (chairman), John Ross, Robert Glendining, Thomas Brydone, James Hazlett. J. Thomson, and J. T. Wright. The present company was formeg in 1902, when it took over the assets, plant, and rolling stock of the original company, which had been in existence for several years. This cable line of tramway connects Dunedin city with the suburb of Roslyn, and from the Town Belt there is a junction electric line that runs to Maori Hill. The power-house is situated in the Kaikorai Valley, but a contract has (April, 1904) recently been entered into with the Waipori Falls Electric Company for the supply of power. The company has six cable cars, and three electric cars; and, running from 7.30 a.m. to 11 p.m., the cable cars complete eighty-nine return trips daily, while the number of passengers carried averages over 21,000 per week. The present directors have expended large sums of money in building new cars, providing new cables, and in generally renovating the plant and line.
Mr. D. R. Eunson.
Bacon, David , Proprietor of the Livery, Bait, and Letting Stables, 18 Great King Street, Dunedin. These stables occupy a quarter of an acre of land and are magnificently equipped, the centre floor, which is kept scrupulously clean, being of concrete, inclined so as to drain. The proprietor imports his saddlery and harness from England and America, and great care is taken in seeing that everything is in first-class order before a team is allowed to leave the stables. A large number of carriages and conveyances of all kinds are kept ready for the use of patrons, also a number of high-class horses for riding or driving; and a shoeing forge is attached to the premises. During the visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales to Dunedin, Mr. Bacon supplied the horses and carriages used by the Royal pair in their drives around the city, and he has also catered for the Governor of New Zealand.
Mr. James Jeffs formerly owned the Rink Livery and Letting Stables, and Criterion Stables, Moray Place. At the Rink Stables he had three Bradley carts, eight single buggies, five double buggies, three waggonettes, two drags, and three landaus, besides dog-carts, gigs, and brakes. Though forty-five horses were kept, they were found to be none too many for the large demand. At the Criterion Stables. Mr. Jeffs kept about ten horses and six or seven traps. He had a blacksmith's shop at both places, as well for his own use as for the convenience of customers. He started in the livery stable business in Palmerston South, where he was also a coach proprietor, running lines of coaches to Naseby and to Nenthorn, the centre of the reefing goldfields, thirty-five miles distant from Palmerston. He retained this business till October, 1897, when, finding that the two large concerns in town required his whole attention, he sold out. Mr. Jeffs purchased the Criterion stables in December, 1894, and the Rink stables two years later from Messrs. Parker and Finlay. After he assumed control, the business and plant were doubled within twelve months. Mr. Jeffs employed an expert for the breaking-in page 370 of horses for his business, and also undertook that class of work for customers.
Crust And Crust , 3 Manse Street, Dunedin (Telephone, 1072; Bankers, Bank of New Zealand) trading with J. M. Heywood and Co., Christchurch, Colonial Carrying Co., Wellington, and W. and G. Winstone, Auckland, in combination as the New Zealand Carrying Company. The property of the firm consists of the business offices and eight sample rooms in Manse Street, five large sample rooms in Dowling Street in premises adjoining Messrs Sargood, Son and Ewen's warehouse; seven sample rooms in Stafford Street; commodious furniture store, stables, etc., also in Stafford Street; and complete working plant of lorries, furniture vans, spring drays and express waggons. Messrs Crust and Crust's twenty sample rooms are all conveniently situated, well lighted and equipped for the convenience of commercial travellers. They have ample storage accommodation, a large plant, and a first-class staff, affording every facility for properly conducting the various departments of their large business in all its branches; namely, sample rooms, carrying, customs, shipping, and forwarding agency, storage and furniture, packing and removal; the latter being a branch of the business in which Mr. Crust has achieved an enviable reputation, he having always devoted special personal attention to it. The New Zealand Carrying Company has agents in all the leading commercial centres of the world, and these, with the co-operation of the firms named at the head of this article, and other good firms in various parts of the colony and abroad, enable the combination to collect goods at any place, and forward and deliver the same to any address, without trouble to either consignor or consignee. Messrs Crust and Crust enjoy a well earned reputation for reliability, promptitude and economy, and the large amount of business that flows in to them from commercial houses, travellers and the general public is therefore not a matter for surprise. Mr. Henry Crust has been in the carrying and forwarding business, (originally as Campbell and Crust) for nearly forty years, and the firm of Crust and Crust owes much of its prosperity to the progressive and thorough-going principles pursued by its enterprising proprietor. During the visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales to New Zealand, the New Zealand Carrying Company was appointed cartage contractor to their Royal Highnesses throughout the colony and was warmly commended for the general efficiency with which it carried out its important duties.
Fitzgerald, Thomas, And Son , Livery and Bait Stable Proprietors, 123 Maclaggan Street, Dunedin. These stables were established in 1876 by Mr. Thomas Fitzgerald, and have been held in popular esteem for many years past. What strikes the casual visitor most, in regard to the premises, is the thorough cleanliness of the whole of the establishment, for the proprietors rightly believe that scrupulously clean quarters are necessary to keep a horse in good condition. The Messrs Fitzgerald keep about twenty-three horses, which, for their work, are the best that money can buy. There are about fifteen conveyances on the premises, including carriages, cabs, waggonettes, singles, station waggons, and a double buggly; also a landau, which cost £240, and was the second carriage built in Dunedin.
Mr. Thomas Fitzgerald was born in Limerick, Ireland, in 1850, and arrived in Victoria, in 1863, by the ship “Waiteanga.” He remained in Australia for seven years, and found plenty of employment as a coachdriver. In 1870 he came to Dunedin, where he was the first licensed carriage driver. Subsequently he was engaged to drive Sir Julius Vogel through to Christchurch, a feat which was accomplished without accident. Mr. Fitzgerald has been a member of the A.O.H. since 1891. He was married in 1876, but his wife died in 1900, leaving one daughter and one son.
Mr. Michael Fitzgerald , who is associated in business with his father, was born in Dunedin, and educated at the Christian Brothers' school. After serving an apprenticeship as a coach painter with Messrs J. Robin and Co., he joined his father in the present business, and has done much to increase the popularity of the stables. He is a member of the Wingatui Racing Club, the Tahuna Park Trotting Club, and the Forbury Racing Club. Mr. Fitzgerald has also been an enthusiast in cricket and football.
The New Zealand Express Company, Limited , General Carriers, Customs, Shipping, Baggage, and Express Forwarding Agents; Head Office, Crawford Street, Dunedin; P.O. Box, 24; Telephone, 1152; Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Directors: Messrs James Brown, Robert See, E. J. Duthie, C. S. Owen and James Duthie. Secretary, Mr. Charles S. Owen. This important institution has branches and agents in all the principal towns in the colony, and is also represented abroad. The establishment of the company dates back to the year 1867, when operations were commenced in a modest way under the style of Campbell and Crust, general carriers. Twelve years later when the present name of the company was added to the firm, they began to undertake the collecting and forwarding of goods and parcels to any address at through rates. In 1895 the firm was incorporated into a limited liability company. The policy adopted at the initiation of the company, and which has since been successfully adhered to, is to advance with the times, to make every provision for all possible requirements, to further extend its operations, and to meet the demand of its ever-increasing traffic. Operations were first extended from Dunedin to Christchurch, Wellington and Auckland, and gradually to every town of importance in both islands, and the well known carrying business of Messrs James Duthie and Co., of Dunedin, was acquired and incorporated in the firm. Several thousands of pounds have been expended in connection with the various branches of the New Zealand Express Company in providing and fitting up well-lighted and commodious sample rooms for the use and convenience of commercial travellers. By this excellent arrangement the company is enabled to forward travellers' samples right through the colony, and thus save its clients the trouble of arranging for transport and securing sample rooms. Goods and parcels are collected and forwarded to any address at through rates, without trouble to the consignor or consignee, and shippers find the company's service the best means to forward small consignments. The custom house and shipping agency department offer advantages to importers, commercial travellers, and tourists, inasmuch as the clearing of goods through the Customs is effected by the company, and all documents pertaining to their importation are confidentially treated. The general prosperity of New Zealand has naturally been one of the main factors of the success of the New Zealand Express Company, but this success has been enhanced by the capable management and enterprise of the company's directors. To-day the firm stands among the large employers of labour in New Zealand, and its continued prosperity is necessary to the welfare of the hand of employees connected with its various branches