The Milburn Lime And Cement Company, Ltd.
Directors: Messrs John White (chairman), Thomas Brydone, Thomas R. Fisher, John McFarlane Ritchie, and Frank Oakden (general manager); Head Office, Cumberland Street, Dunedin; P.O.Box, 400; Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand; Branch Offices and Stores, Manchester Street, Christchurch, and at Customhouse Quay, Wellington. The company's cement works are at Pelichet Bay, Dunedin, and their lime kilns at Milburn, Otago Peninsula, and at Mount Somers, Canterbury. The capital of the company is £75,000 in 75,000 shares of £1 each. This important and enterprising company was established in 1888, to acquire and work the magnificent deposits of limestone, which have been opened up at Milburn, near Milton. A freehold section of twenty acres, containing a deposit of limestone, which varies from sixty feet in depth, has yielded immense quantities of material from which the products of the company are made. Besides this property, there are several hundred acres of freehold and leasehold which contain valuable deposits, so that millions of tons of limestone are available for the purpose of the company. At the company's cement works and lime kilns in New Zealand, over one hundred hands find regular employment. Powerful machinery is used at the Pelichet Bay cement works, the compound engines being two hundred horsepower indicated, with steam boilers of equal capacity. The output of the company's well-known Portland cement and lime has shown a steady increase, year by year. The company acquired the Danish rights from the International Cement Company of Denmark for the whole of Australasia for manufacturing silica portland cement. This purchase opens up immense possibilities for the company, and the further enormous advance of its already large business. Silica portland cement, although largely in use in Europe and America, is but little known in the Australasian Colonies; the company have, therefore, caused certain tests to be made under the supervision of Messrs. F. W. Petre and J. Hislop, architects, and Mr. R. Hay, M. Inst. C.E., as experts. The experiments were conducted between the 20th of October and 25th of November, 1897, the basis of comparison being between imported portland cement and silica portland cement, and the result in texture, hydraulicity, and tensility, was decidedly in favour of the silica portland cement manufactured by the Milburn Company. Mortar and crushing tests conducted by the same gentlemen showed the silica portland cement to be at least thirty per cent, better than the imported portland
Milburn Lime And Cement Works, Pelichet Bay, Dunedin.
cement. A pamphlet entitled “Notes on Silica Portland Cement” has been issued by the company, and may be procured on application to the head offices in Cumberland Street, Dunedin. In June, 1902, valuable deposits of phosphate rock were discovered on the company's property, and large quantities are now prepared and sold to the farmers for fertilizing purposes.