The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
New Zealand Loan And Mercantile Agency Company, Ltd
New Zealand Loan And Mercantile Agency Company, Ltd. Offices and store, Corner of Rattray and Castle Streets, Dunedin. Telephone, 25. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Manager, Mr. Andrew Todd. Private residence of manager, Maori Hill. Head office, Wellington. Information regarding this well known company is given on page 716 of the Wellington volume of the Cyclopedia of New Zealand. The company's fine warehouse and office in Dunedin are conveniently situated with respect to both railway and shipping. The older portions of the building were erected in 1876 by the late Mr. Henry Driver, and at that time comprised the only building on the reclaimed land, the tide surrounding it at high water. The new portion was put up in 1885 and is built of Port Chalmers blue stone with Oamaru stone facings—the other portion being in blue stone. The whole building, which is two stories in height, covers about an acre of land, and is served by a railway siding. Regular auction sales are conducted as follows: Mondays, grain and rabbit skins; Tuesdays, sheep skins; and Wednesdays, fat stock at Burnside yards. Fortnightly sales are held at Milton, Balclutha and Clinton, and periodical sales in Central Otago.