The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Harty and Co
Harty and Co. (Thomas Kew Harty), Merchants, Indentors, Insurance, Shipping and General Commission agents, Bond Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 1358; P.O. Box, 353. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Frederick Street, Roslyn. This well-known firin was founded by the present proprietor in 1885. Messrs Harty and Co. are importers of tea, groceries, wines, spirits, and general merchandise of all kinds; as exporters they ship wool, rabbit skins, hides, flax, butter, cheese, and general produce on their own account or as brokers and agents. Having agencies in London, Calcutta, Madras, Colombo, New York, Melbourne, and at other ports, they are thus enabled to conduct a large trade. They represent A. Melrose and Co., of Edinburgh, Shrager Brothers, of Calcutta, J. and H. Vandespar and Co., of Colombo, G. W. Daniel, of Cadiz and Oporto, Grosvenor, Chater and Company, Ltd., of London, Warmuth and Co., of Dresden; and De Lissa and Sons, of London, besides several New Zealand meat companies and dairy factories. As insurance agents, Messrs Harty and Co. act for the North German Fire Insurance office of Hamburg. Their operations extend throughout New Zealand, the business being transacted largely by local agents in the various parts of the Colony. Mr. Harty is a Fellow of the Incorporated Institute of Accountants of New Zealand. In addition to auditing and investigating accounts, he acts as agent, arbitrator and attorney for absentees and others, in the purchase, sale, or administration of estates, and generally in a fiduciary capacity, Mr. Harty was born in London, and came to the Colony in 1874. He became accountant to Messrs Neill and Boyd, general merchants, and was afterwards with Messrs Neill Bros., as manager, for seven years, before starling his present business. He was married in 1879 to a daughter of Captain Walsh—of the Imperial Army—and has two sons and one daughter.