, Ironmonger and Hardware Merchant, Princes and Bond Streets. Dunedin. Telephones, 95 (warehouses and offices) and 119 (private residence, Stafford Street). P.O. Box, 138. Branch, Tay Street. Invercargill. This business was founded in 1862 by the late Mr. John Edmond, and is one of the oldest in the hardware trade of Dunedin. For some years after its establishment it was conducted by the founder; he was then joined by Messrs Forsyth and McNeill, under the style of Edmond, Forsyth and McNeill.
by whom it was continued for another period of years. On the retirement of the two junior partners, Mr. John Edmond remained sole proprietor, and carried on the business until his death in October, 1892. Since then, Mr. William F. Edmond, son of the late proprietor and founder, has controlled and managed the business for and on behalf of the executors. The large and substantial premises owned by the firm in Dunedin consist of a four-storey stone building, having sixty feet frontage to Princes Street, by a depth of 165 feet, extending right through to Bond Street. This fine building was admirably designed, and contains probably the most extensive ironmongery showrooms in New Zealand. On the street level to Princes Street, and extending about 100 feet back, spacious showrooms are situated, and there are also others on the next floor. As the goods entrance is situated in Bond Street, at the back of the premises, where all heavy and new goods are received and stored, or packed and despatched, this department of the business is consequently quiet and select. The two floors beneath the showrooms are store-rooms, where bar and sheet iron, wire rope, oils, nails, cement, and other goods are kept. Large shipments of general ironmongery and hardware are received regularly by the firm, and an extensive stock of all kinds of goods is kept on the premises. Mr. Edmond acts as New Zealand agent for Dick's Balata belting, T. and W. Smith's wire rope, and Hubbuck's oils. A large trade is done in Otago and Southland, and such has been the extension of the business, that in 1894 it was deemed necessary to open a branch establishment at Invercargill. Two years later the firm took possession of a fine three-storey stone and brick building, which was erected to their order, and affords nearly 10,000 square feet of floorage space. Mr. William Frazer Edmond, the manager of this large house, was born in 1863 in Dunedin, where he was educated at the Boys' High School. Having learned his business in the establishment, he was for six years representative of the firm on the goldfields of Otago and Southland, but in 1889 joined his late father in the management.