The Gladstone Hotel
(John Collins, proprietor), Maclaggan Street, Dunedin.
63. This hotel is a handsome brick and cement building, erected in 1878 to replace the old wooden hotel known as the “Scandinavian.” It has a commercial room, reading room, and dining room on the ground floor, and the dining room is a fine apartment, with seats for sixty guests. On the first floor there are several handsomely furnished sitting rooms, a ladies' drawing room, a smoking room, and several large airy bedrooms. The second storey is taken up with bedrooms, single and double. Bathrooms, with hot and cold water, and lavatories, are conveniently placed on each storey. Great pains have been taken to make escape easy in case of fire, and balconies with concrete floors have been erected on each storey. The whole house is furnished with a view to comfort, and the hotel enjoys the patronage of many country visitors and the travelling public. Mr. Collins is a connoisseur in liquors, and his bar and cellars are stocked with the best wines, spirits, and cigars in Dunedin. The hotel is centrally situated near the Post Office, banks and other public buildings, the Roslyn cable tram, and city electric trams.