The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Brewers, Maltsters, Wine And Spirit Merchants
Brewers, Maltsters, Wine And Spirit Merchants.
Mr. M. Joel.
Lintott, G., and Co. (George Skinner Lintott, J.P.), Maltsters, Grain Merchants, Insurance Agents, and Importers of Brewers' Sundries, Albion Malthouses, Cumberland Street, Dunedin. P.O. Box, 304. Bankers: Bank of New Zealand. Also grain stores, Tyne Street, and malthouse, Weir Street, Oamaru. The business was established in Oamaru in 1876, and having extended very considerably, the head office was removed to Dunedin in 1891. The premises occupied were formerly known as Messrs. Marshall and Copeland's Albion Brewery. The buildings are of brick, two and three stories in height. There are two malthouses, each with a capacity of fifty sacks; the Oamaru malthouse is equal to fifty sacks. Messrs. Lintott and Co. do a considerable trade in grain, which they export to Australia and England. They are sole agents in the Colony for Messrs. Boake. Roberts and Co., Ltd., of London, for all kinds of brewers' sundries, in which they do a very large business throughout the Colony, all parts of which are periodically visited by the firm's representatives. The firm are attorneys for Otago for the Canton Insurance Company. Mr. Lintott was born in Chelmsford. Essex, was brought up as a brewer at Burton-on-Trent. and was for some years with Messrs. Lascells and Tickner. of Guildford. Surrey, as managing brewer. In 1874, he was engaged in England as brewer for Messrs. Vincent and Co., of Christchurch. During his residence in Oamarn he was a member of the borough council for some years, and was generally prominent in connection with any local matter which tended to advance the interests of the town, Mr. Lintott is a director in the brewing business of William Strachan, Ltd., Dunedin.
Mr. Robert Richard Kirby . Accountant to Messrs. Lintott and Co., Albion Malt-house, Dunedin, was born at sea in 1859 on a voyage to Tasmania, and was educated at Hutchins' school, Hobart. He was brought up to business by his father, who was a tanner and grindery merchant in Hobart. and was subsequently with Messrs. George Blyth and Co., Dunedin, for eight years. He has filled his present position since March, 1889.
McGavin And Co . (George Dowse Wright and William Henry Smith), Brewers. Bo'tlers, and Maltsters, Union Brewery, Cornern of Duke and Great King Streets, Water of Leith, Dunedin. Telephone, 333. Bankers: Bank of New Zealand. Private residences: Mr. Wright. Castle Street; Mr. Smith, Duke Street. The large brewing business now conducted by the firm of McGavin and Co, was established in August. 1882, by the late Mr. George L. McGavin. associated with Mr. Alexander McGregor, and the late Mr. W. H. Smith, under the style of McGavin, McGregor and Smith. A very considerable business was conducted till 1889, when Mr. Smith died, and Mr. McGregor retired from the business. Mr. McGavin was then joined by Mr. W. H. Smith, junr., son of his late partner. On the death of Mr. McGavin in December, 1896. Mr. Wright, his nephew, was nominated to represent his uncle's interest in the business. The land occupied by the malthouse and brewery consists of an acre and a half of freehold. The buildings are extensive and complete, and really include two breweries and malthouses, the one originally erected by Messrs McGavin, McGregor and Smith, and the other by Messrs Marshall and Copeland. The plant is thoroughly up-to-date in every respect. The original brewery built by Mr. McGavin is a brick building, well adapted for an extensive business. There is a fine thirty horsepower tubular boiler, built by Messrs R. S. Sparrow and Co., with six horsepower horizontal engine by the same firm. Behind the engine there is a large maltcrusher, from which automatic lifts convey the malt to a hopper on the top floor of the brewery. The malt is supplied to the large mash-tub on the third floor. which is then filled with hot water, and from which the liquor is run off into a large copper capable of boiling thirty-two hogsheads. The mixture then undergoes the boiling and brewing process: afterwards it is drawn off into the cooler and subsequently passes over the refrigerator. falling down into the fermenting tuns, where yeast is added and whence, when the proper process has been completed, it is drawn off into casks in the cellars. The granary attached to this portion of the building opens off the refrigeratingroom and is capable of storing 2.000 sacks of grain. Below this flat is the maltingfloor, which has a 180-bushel steep, and below that again, the cellars, which extend the whole length of the building, and are capable of fermenting 300 hogsheads at once. The other malt-house. originally the property of Messrs Marshall and Copeland. is an extensive building, with a remarkably fine granary on the top floor, where 20,000 sacks can be stored with case. The malting-floor of this portion of the premises has a 200 bushel steep, and there is also a very large cellar capable of storing 600 hogsheads. Messrs McGavin and Co. have a complete cooper's plant, where the whole of the large vats used in the brewery are made, as well as kauri casks from 110 gallons down to small kegs. The firm imports oak staves from England and kauri staves from the north of New Zealand. There is convenient stabling on the premises, and the firm employs five horses and four vans in connection with its town delivery. Messrs McGavin and Co. have a large bottling establishment in Duke Street where a very considerable trade is carried on. The firm employs altogether thirty hands, including three travellers who are constantly on the road visiting customers in various parts of the Colony. Messrs McGavin and Co. have been most successful as exhibitors, having gained more than thirty prize medals at various exhibitions, including the New Zealand and South Seas Exhibition of 1889–90. the Centennial Exhibition at Melbourne in 1888, where they gained two gold medals and special mention against the world, and at the Tasmanial Exhibition of 1894–5.
Mr. W. H. Smith was born in Melbourne in 1865, was educated at the Dunedin High School and brought up to business as a brewer in the firm of Messrs McGavin and Co. Mr. Smith superintends the manufacturing department of the business, while Mr. Wright attends to the financial department. Mr. Smith has long been connected with cricket, and holds the position of vice-president of the Grange cricket club. He is also a member of the Dunedin bowling club, and vice-president of the North East Valley band. He was married in 1893, and has three children.