Architects, Civil Engineers, Etc.
Barr, George Morrison
, M. Inst. C.E., Civil and Mining Engineer, New Zealand Insurance Buildings, Rattray and Crawford Streets, Dunedin. P.O. Box 272;
Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Born in Glasgow in 1837, the subject of this notice was educated in his native city, where he completed his scholastic course at the University, taking two first prizes under the late Professor Rankine for engineering and mechanics. He served his articles with Mr. Thomas Kyle, who had extensive works in and around Glasgow, for the Clyde Trustees, the Glasgow Corporation and other important local bodies. After completing his term of five years, Mr. Barr continued with his employers for three years as assistant, before removing to Edinburgh, where he entered the service of Mr. Charles Jopp, M. Inst. C.E. This gentleman was at that time consulting engineer to The North British Railway Company, for which Mr. Barr surveyed several branch lines in the south and east of Scotland under his principal. As the Provincial Government of Otago required an experienced surveyor, the eminent firm of enginers—Messrs. D. and T. Stevenson of Edinburgh—were entrusted with the selection of a suitable man. Mr. Barr was an applicant, and after submitting himself for competitive examination, was selected for the post in June, 1862. Helanded at Port Chalmers in the ship “Jura” in the month of October of the same year, and was engaged in various parts of the province for the ensuing four years under the survey department. In August, 1896, he was transferred to the public works department of which he became chief engineer—three years later—which position he held till November, 1872, when he resigned and com-
the private practice of his profession in Dunedin. Ten years later Mr. Barr was appointed engineer to the Dunedin Harbour Board, with which he remained till November, 1888, when he retired from the position owing to the exhaustion of loans which necessitated the stoppage of large works. Since that time he has been engaged in private practice. During the term of his appointment as provincial engineer Mr. Barr had charge of all harbours, roads, and buildings in the province; together with all works in connection therewith. Many iron, timber, and stone bridges were designed and erected by him during this period; some of them over the largest rivers in the district. Mr. Barr has taken a prominent part in connection with the Dunedin Harbour, he having been one of the first to recommend the opening up of the western channel in preference to the old channel on the eastern side. In 1870, under his direction work was commenced, but owing to an accident to the dredge it was stopped, and not subsequently resumed till after the constitution of the Otago Harbour Board in 1874. The scheme of works, then initiated, has since developed into the Victoria Channel, so that seventeen years after the first dredging Mr. Barr, as the harbour board's engineer, had the satisfaction of bringing them to such a stage as to be available for the navigation of vessels drawing up to twenty feet of water. In 1882 on taking office as engineer of the harbour board, Mr. Barr found that there was only some fifteen or sixteen feet of water on the bar at the Talaroa Heads. The board had already ordered a powerful dredge from Scotland, with the intention of cutting a deeper channel. Mr. Barr pointed out that while a certain amount of temporary gain would result from dredging operations, the condition of the natural currents were such that the “cut” would be speedily silted up, so that vessels of large size would be unable to cross the bar in safety, particularly in stormy weather; and further that the dredging operations would involve a heavy and continuous expense. He considered that the proper course would be to erect a training wall on the west side of the entrance at the heads, for the purpose of deflecting the current from its oblique course, and of sending it more directly across the bar. Sir John Coode had previously given a general report upon this matter, in which he had advocated an eastern wall in addition. Mr. Barr was strongly of opinion that the western wall would be sufficient, and as the cost of the two walls would have been beyond the means of the board, it became a question whether works of that character could be undertaken or not. The recommendations and designs of the engineer were sent to London for Sir John Coode's opinion. He suggested alterations in some of the details, several of which were adopted and several were not, and on the question of the walls, he thought the western wall would be advisable to an extent that would justify the expense involved in its construction; but that the depth of water on the bar would be liable to fluctuation, unless the eastern wall were also completed. The western wall was therefore constructed, though owing to the failure of funds, it was not carried up so high as Mr. Barr recommended; the outer extremity being twelve or fourteen feet below the level of low water. Notwithstanding the consequent escape of a large proportion of the ebb water in the old direction, there is now a well maintained depth of thirty feet of water at low tide, as compared with the natural depth, which varied from twelve to sixteen feet. It is worthy of note that these works were carried out for something less than one half the estimate of cost formulated by Sir John Coode. Mr. Barr designed and carried out harbour works at Wanganni to a certain extent; training walls which were approved by Sir John Coode being erected between the heads and the town. He also designed a wall to be erected outside the heads for the purpose of deepening the bar: this was carried out, though only about one
Designed by Mr. Barr.
Bridge Over Shotover River, Arthur's Point.
Wanganui Breakwater.Designed by Mr. Barr.
Bridge Over Clutha River, Stirling.
Designed by Mr. Barr.
third the length recommended, and consequently it cannot be said to have much effect on the depth; but it has steadied the direction of the channel to a certain degree. In private practice, Mr. Barr designed and constructed water works at New Plymouth, Queenstown, and Cromwell, and recommended for Dunedin a water supply scheme, which is now (1903–4) being carried out. Of road and bridge works, he has constructed too many to particularise in the columns of this Cyclopedia. Mr. Barr was elected a member of the Institute of Civil Engineers, London, in February, 1882, and in 1892, he was awarded a Telford premium for a paper on the Otago Harbour Works, which was contributed by him, and was published in the transactions of the Institute. Mr. Barr served two years as a member of the Dunedin City Council, and after ceasing to be engineer to the Otago Harbour Board, he was a member of that body for four years. He was one of the first members of the Mornington school committee and its first chairman. He was one of the first vice-presidents of the New Zealand Institute of Surveyors; was a member of the first board of examiners for surveyors in New Zealand; and is now (1904) the sole survivor of the founders of the Glasgow Geological Society. Mr. Barr married in 1871 a daughter of Mr. Thomas Oliver, C.E., of Kaikorai, and has five daughters and two sons.
Beal, L. O.
, Junior, Civil and Mining Engineer, Land and Mine Surveyor, Dunedin. Mr. Beal commenced the practice of his profession in Dunedin about twenty years ago, having completed his articles with Mr. Robert Hay, M.I.C.E., and served as an assistant in his office for four years. Mr. Beal has a very intimate knowledge of the geology and all the auriferous formations and deposits of Otago, and has examined and reported upon almost all the reefs and sluicing and hydraulic elevating claims in Otago and Southland. He was the first to introduce gold-dredging on a large scale and for this purpose organised the original Big Beach Dredging Company on the Shotover river, and thereby demonstrated that it was not necessary for ground to be covered with water to enable it to be dredged
Mr. Beal read an interesting paper on the future of gold-dredging in Otago at the Mining Conference in connection with the New Zealand and South Seas Exhibition held in Dunedin in 1889–1890, in which he pointed out that, if conducted with large and powerful dredges, it would be in the future a great factor in the mining industry. Mr. Beal has held the position of mining engineer and adviser to several English and a great many colonial gold-mining companies, and holds high references from two ex-Ministers of Mines. Mr. Beal has a thorough practical as well as scientific knowledge, and in the course of his early training occupied a portion of his time in the Otago Foundry. He held the post of lecturer on land and mine surveying at the University of Otago, and is a member of the New Zealand Institutes of Mining Engineers and Surveyors. Mr. Beal has designed and carried out works for a great many mining companies, including water-races, hydraulic, elevating and sluicing plants, water-power machinery for quartz crushing and electric lighting, low level adits for reefing companies, batteries, cyanide plant, dredging machinery, etc. Mr. Beal had command of the Dunedin Engineers for over twelve years, and holds the rank of major in the force. He is also president of the Dunedin amateur boating club.
Burnside, John Arthur
, Architect. Perpetual Trustees and Agency Buildings, corner of Rattray and Vogel Streets, Dunedin.
Private residence, Vauxhall, Anderson's Bay. Established in 1880. Mr. Burnside has made his mark as a colonial architect, having designed and erected many important
buildings. As a competitor he has been very successful, having gained three first premiums offered for public competition; namely, £75 for the Colonial Mutual Life Offices, £50 for the Burns Monument erected in the
Colonial Mutual Life Offices.
Octagon by Mr. Robert Chapman; and £150 for the Auckland Stock Exchange in 1897, which he gained against all comers. Mr. Burnside was born in Dunedin in 1858, and was educated at local public schools and by private tutors. He was indentured to Messrs. Mason and Wales, architects of Dunedin, with whom he remained as assistant for two or three years. While serving his apprenticeship he made a very complete model of the private residence of the late Hon. R. Campbell,
The Late Mr. R. Gillies' Residence.
for the Ballarat Juvenile Industrial Exhibition, for which he carried off the medal and special prize, and also gained a medal for the same work at the Sydney International Exhibition in 1879. On commencing practice on his own account, he was entrusted with the planning and erection of the Terminus Hotel, Rattray Street, Dunedin, and on its completion undertook the building (in which his offices are situated) for the Perpetual Trustees and Agency Company, thus completing the block. In 1889, Mr. Burnside designed and erected the very handsome edifice of the Colonial Mutual Life Offices at the corner of Princes and High Streets, filling up a very awkward piece of ground to splendid advantage, his plan being accepted in Melbourne out of over thirty competitors. Mr. Burnside has had the supervision and erection of some very fine churches, manses, and parsonages. Ths Theological Hall, Castle Street, Dunedin, Ashburn Hall private asylum—
Hall Of The Late Mr. Gillies' Residence.
which is heated by hot air apparatus planned in the most approved and simple method, and the City Hall, Dunedin, have been designed and completed under his supervision. Private houses from his plans and erected in town and country by Mr. Burnside are too numerous to name, but a few may be mentioned such as the large stone building for the late Mr. Robert Gillies, Mr. Scobie Mackenzie's house at Waverley, Mr. George Mondy's residence in Royal Terrace, the dwelling of Dr. Colquhoun in High Street, Dr. McKellar's in Pitt Street, Dr. Fleming's at Balclutha, and the fine house in concrete, wood, and plaster, erected and completed in New Zealand woods for Professor Scott, of the University of Otago. To this list may be added the Bank of New Zealand, Lawrence, extensive additions to various Dunedin warehouses, and a large warehouse at Invercargill. Mr. Burnside, who makes a special study in the planning of houses, has been very successful both as to ingenuity and comfort. As a volunteer, he has been connected with the Otago Hussars since the corps' formation, and has carried off prizes in rifle and other competitions; and as a sportsman, he finds recreation and enjoyment in deer-stalking, and in pursuit of other game.
Davey, Henton Macaulay
, Engineer and Architect, 47 Moray Place West, Dunedin. Telephone, 473. Brought up as an engineer and architect at the Marquess of Bute's works, Cardiff, Mr. Davey came to New Zealand in 1877 in the ship “Leicester.” After two years' experience in Dunedin, he embarked in his present business. The principal part of Mr. Davey's business is the taking out of patents, and he has clients in all parts of the Colony. He is also engaged in designing buildings and machinery, especially gold mining machinery in connection with the Otago goldfields.
, Architect. Joel's Buildings, 11 Crawford Street, Dunedin. Mr. Forrest was born in Hamilton, Scotland, educated at the Hamilton Academy, and came to New Zealand by the ship “Jura” in 1862. Shortly after his arrival in Dunedin he became engaged in building and carpentering, and was employed in the erection of some of the most important buildings in the early days of the city. He was one of the first students at the School of Art, where he studied architecture under Mr. David Hutton. About 1866 Mr. Forrest was engaged in some large building contracts, and built Mr. John Reid's first wooden residence at Elderslie, near Oamaru. He entered into partnership with the late Mr. David McGill, and the two
carried on business as McGill and Forrest, contractors. They completed many fine public and private buildings in and around Dunedin, including the City Hotel and
Prince of Wales Hotel, the Bank of New Zealand at Port Chalmers, the Dunedin University, the Southern Reservoir, and the large wharf at Port Chalmers. The firm also built the first concrete building for the Loan and Mercantile at Oamaru, and super-intended the construction of the Camaru mole. In 1881, owing to a breakdown in health, Mr. Forrest retired from building and contracting, and since then has followed the profession of architect. The Union Brewery in Duke Street, Donaldson's Excelsior Hotel, the Otago Farmers' Co-operative Association building. Hogg, Howison and Nicol's warehouse, and Speight's brewery and malt premises were designed by him; and also the handsome private residences of Messrs Speight and Greenslade, and that of Mr. Dawson, in Duncan Street. Mr. Forrest is a member of the Acclimatisation Society, and a life member of the Caledonian Society. As a Freemason, he is connected with Lodge Otago, Kilwinning, Scottish Constitution. Mr. Forrest married the eldest daughter of the late Mr. William Robertson, of Sandfly Bay, who arrived in New Zealand in 1860, and died in 1901.
Gough, George William
, Civil and Naval Architect. Consulting Engineer. The Triangle, 10 Lower Rattray Street. Dunedin, Private residence, “Beflevue,” Reslyn. Mr.
Gough was born in the city of Manchester and educated at Rothesay, Isle of Bute, Scotland. He studied naval architecture under Messrs R. Napier and Sons, shipbuilders, Glasgow, and Messrs D. and W. Henderson and Co., of the well known “Anchor Line.” He completed his apprenticeship to civil architecture with Mr. George Melrose, of Rothesay, and studied the profession in some of the leading cities of Canada and the United States of America. Prior to leaving Scotland for New Zealand, in 1886, Mr. Gough had charge of a leading architect and surveyor's office in Falkirk. On arrival in Dunedin he was employed as draughtsman with Messrs Begg and Wilkinson, engineers and ironfounders, with whom he remained for five years before establishing his present business. In naval architecture he has designed and constructed the s.s. “Tarawera,' 78 tons, for tourist traffic on Lake Te Anau; in conjunction with Mr. E. Roberts, the stern-wheel steamer “Clyde,” on the Molyneux; s.s. “Peninsula” and other craft; in civil architecture, the Denton Hat Mills. Standard Confectionery Works, the superintendent's residence in the Botanical Gardens, North End Boating Club pavilion, and many other important private and public buildings in and around Dunedin. Mr. Gough is a member of Lodge St. John, 292, Scottish Constitution, and was for eight years organist and secretary of Lodge St. Andrew, 432, S.C., retiring with the position of Junior Warden. He is also a member of Court Pride of Dunedin, Ancient Order of Foresters.
Hall, William J.
, Civil and Mining Engineer, and Authorised Surveyor, A.M.P. Buildings, Princes Street, Dunedin. Mr. Hall was born in South Australia, and came to New Zealand with his parents in 1864. He was educated at the Otago Boys' High School, and studied his profession under the late Mr. James Aitken Connell, then of the firm of Messrs Connell and Moodie, Surveyors and Estate Agents. After serving his apprenticeship he went to North America, where for three years he worked on the construction of the Southern Pacific Railway. Mr. Hall returned to Dunedin in 1876, and was for two years Government District Surveyor in Southland, and for three years contract surveyor in Canterbury. In 1885 he went to Melbourne, where he followed his profession, and carried out contracts on the Melbourne cable tram. He returned to New Zealand in 1891, and occupied the position of Resident Engineer in connection with the Hawera and Masterton water works. Mr. Hall has acted
Princes Street, Dunedin: 1861.
professionally for the Dunedin City Council, on the Lee Stream tunnel works, and has been contractor's engineer for the Dunedin Drainage Board's Forbury road outfall sewer. He now carries on an extensive private practice in Dunedin as a surveyor and civil engineer.
Architect, Dowling Street, Dunedin. Telephones: office, 464; Private residence, 884. Post Office Box, 389. Bankers: National Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Queen Street. Mr. Hislop was born in Glasgow in 1859, and accompanied his parents to the Colony in the following year in the ship “Henrietta.” He was educated at the North East Valley school and by private tutors; he subsequently served three years in the office of Messrs. Mason and Wales, architects, and afterwards two years in the Public Works department. An experience of twelve months on survey field work under the Government was most useful, Mr. Hislop being then appointed to the charge of the draughtsmen's department of the Public Works office in Nelson. The business which he now conducts so successfully was founded in 1880 in conjunction with Mr. W. H. Terry, under the style of Hislop and Terry; the latter retired after three years and Mr. Hislop continued on his own account. As an architect, Mr. Hislop has designed many of the leading buildings, not only of Otago, but of many of the cities of New Zealand. The New Zealand South Seas Exhibition building (1889–90) was erected under his supervision: the fine building of the Drapery and General Importing Company, fronting Panama and Brandon Streets, Wellington, is also from his designs; and likewise the additions to the Christchurch branch of the same company. The mill and store of Messrs. Evans and Co., Timaru—one of the largest in New Zealand; Messrs. Fleming and Gilkison's mill at Gore, the Agricultural Hall, Crawford Street. Dunedin: the Waterproof Clothing Co.'s Building in connection with Messrs. Hallenstein Bros' New Zealand Clothing Factory, Dowling Street; Dunedin City Abattoirs, and many other large and important buildings were planned and erected by Mr. Hislop. He erected the Wesleyan church in South Dunedin, the Presbyterian Hall in North Dunedin, besides the large manse adjoining Knox church in George Street. These are but a few of the buildings erected from this well known architect's plans. As a bowler, Mr. Hislop has been a member of the Dunedin bowling club for many years, and has been president of the club, and also of the New Zealand bowling association. He has long been a member of the North-East Valley school committee, and also its chairman. He is a member of the Technical Classes association, and holds the position of honorary architect to the Otago agricultural and pastoral association. Mr. Hislop was married in 1883 to a daughter of Mr. H. H. Marsden, of Melbourne, and has two daughters and one son
Laing, Percy W.
, Architect, Australian Mutual Provident Buildings, Princes Street, Dunedin. Mr. Laing was born in Otago, and educated at the Dunedin High School. He
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. P. M. Laing.
studied for his profession under the well known architect Mr. R. A. Lawson, and afterwards went to Melbourne, where he was for some time employed in the office of Messrs N. Billing and Son. Mr. Laing then returned to Dunedin, and after working with
Mr. R. Forrest, started his present business in 1903. During his residence in Australia he helped to lay out and design the National Agricultural Show Grounds of Victoria. He
P. M. Laing, Architect.
A Private Residence.
has designed many of the large private residences in and around Dunedin.
Lawson And Salmond
(Robert Arthur Lawson and James Louis Salmond), Architects, Stock Exchange Buildings, Water Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 584. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. J. L. Salmond is a son of Dr. W. Salmond, Professor of Moral Philosophy and Mental Science at the University of Otago, was born in 1868 in North Shields. England, and accompanied his parents in the ship “Chrona” to Port Chalmers in 1875. He was educated at the High School, Dunedin, and served his term as an architect under the late Mr. R. A. Lawson, who designed and built many of the churches and important public buildings in Dunedin. After serving for a couple of years with local architects he established the present business. Mr. Salmond makes a specialty of private houses, of which he has already planned and completed a considerable number in Dunedin and its vicinity; amongst them the residences of Messrs A. C. Broad, A. S. Adams, T. Pearce, and M. Coventry, in Cargill Street, Mr. J. Dick, in Pitt Street, and Dr. McCaw, Mosgiel, the Presbyterian manse, Ravensbourne, three brick houses for Mr. W. Main in George Street, Mrs Inglis' and several others at St. Clair, and his own in Michie Street, Roslyn.
Driftwood Creek, Milford Sound, Southland.
Mr. J. L. Salmond's Residence. Designed by Mr. Salmond.
Taieri Mouth, Otago.
Government Life Insurance Buindings, Dunedin.
Manson & Wales, Architects.
Mason And Wales
(Patrick Young Architects, S Rattray Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 19. P.O. Box, 194. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business was established by the late Mr. William Mason (who was the first mayor of Dunedin) and Mr. Clayton (who afterwards became Government Architect in Auckland), under the style of Mason and Clayton, in the early days of settlement in Otago. Some years after the foundation of the firm Mr. Clayton retired from the business, and Mr. N. Y. A. Wales succeeded as junior partner, the style being changed to Mason and Wales. The firm as thus constituted occupied a leading position among the pioneer architects of Dunedin for many years, and not a few of the prominent buildings of the city owe their origin to its ability and diligence. On the retirement of the senior partner in 1877, Mr. Thomas Stevenson joined the business, his name being added to the style, which then became Mason. Wales and Stevenson. Two years later Mr. Stevenson retired, and Mr. N. Y. A. Wales, who thus became the sole proprietor, continued the business on his own account from 1879 till 1894, under the present style. Since the latter year, Mr. P. Y. Wales, son of Mr. N. Y. A. Wales, has been associated in the firm, in the business of which he has taken a prominent part. The buildings erected and designed by the firm comprise many of the largest and most important public, mercantile, and private houses in the city of Dunedin, throughout Otago generally, and in various parts of the Colony. The list includes the fine building. with clock tower, in Princes Street, lately occupied by the Colonial Bank of New Zealand, also the Palmerston North and St. Bathans' branches of the same institution, the New Zealand Insurance Building, Rattray Street, Messrs. Sievwright and Stout's offices, Princes Street, the Government Life Insurance Building, corner of Princes and Rattray Streets, the Albert Buildings, Princes Street, Zealaudia Chambers, Dowling Street, the warehouses of Messrs. Sargood, Son and Ewen, Victoria Street, Auckland, Messrs. Ross and Glendining, corner of Harbour and Victoria Streets, Wellington, and Messrs. Neill and Co., Dunedin, Messrs. Stronach Bros. and Morris' premises in Crawford Street, Wain's Hotel. Princes Street, Messrs. Kempthorne, Prosser and Co.'s chemical works at Burn-side, the Freezing Works at Burnside—the first erected in Otago—Messrs. Thomson and Co.'s mineral water factory, and Messrs. Reid and Gray's works, besides a host of
New Zealand Insurance Company's Building.
Mason & Wales, Architects.
others of lesser importance. As ecclesiastical architects, Messrs. Mason and Wales drew the plans and supervised the building of St. Paul's, Dunedin, and churches at Waitati. Balclutha, Inchclutha, Green Island, Port Chalmers, and Mosgiel. The whole of the extensive buildings now used as the Dunedin Hospital, the Benevolent Home, South Dunedin, the Wakatipu and Clyde Hospitals, and the Female Refuge at Leith, were constructed under their direction. To this lengthy list may be added the Garrison Hall in Dowling Street, Messrs. Herbert, Haynes and Co.'s new premises in Princes Street, “Otekaike,” the residence of the late Hon. R Campbell, near Oamaru, and Bishop's Court, Roslyn. As engineers, the firm has undertaken considerable works, including the water-race and dam for the paper mills at Mataura.
Mr. Nathaniel Young Armstrong Wales
, sometime the senior partner in the firm, was born in 1832 in the County of Northumberland, England, and was educated at Jedburgh, Scotland. He came out to Victoria in the early days of the gold
Colonial Bank Building.
Mason & Wales, Architects.
fever, and settled in Dunedin about the year 1863. As a public man Mr. Wales was well known; he was a member of the House of Representatives for some years; occupied a seat on the Dunedin Harbour Board, of which he was at one time chairman; sat as a councillor on the Dunedin City Council, and was mayor in the year 1895–6. He became ensign in the first corps of the City Guards, served many years, became commander of the district, and retired with the rank of colonel. In London, in March, 1895, Mr. Wales was elected an Hon. Associate in the Grand Priory of the Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem in England. He died in Dunedin on the 3rd of November, 1903.
Mr. Patrick Young Wales
was born in 1865 in Dunedin, where he was educated principally at the High School. After leaving school he served four years at the building trades, and subsequently served five years as an architect. After eighteen months spent in Sydney in engineering work, chiefly in connection with sewerage works, he returned to join his father in business.
Mason, John Blair
, Consulting Engineer, Colonial Mutual Life Assurance Buildings, corner of Princes and High Streets, Dunedin. Mr. Mason is a son of the late Mr. David Mason, one of the pioneers of Otago, who was the first to establish a foundry and engineering works in the South Island. He was born in Dunedin, in 1858, and served his apprenticeship at the Otago Foundry. While there he studied at the Otago University, and qualified in Civil Engineering, taking a high place in chemistry and physics. In 1882 he was articled to Messrs Barr and Oliver, and acted as mechanical engineer and marine surveyor for the Otago Harbour Board works, then being carried out by Mr. Barr, the Board's engineer. Owing to a breakdown in health,
caused by over work and study, Mr. Mason left Dunedin, and crossed to Australia, where he was at once engaged by the Victorian Government to undertake marine surveys and
supervise marine works in connection with the defences and public works. He reported on all the Victoria harbours in 1887, and directed their re-survey; and in 1890 he became Marine Engineer and Surveyor in the Ports and Harbour Department, and in that capacity executed re-surveys of the Victorian coast, laying out lines of improvement in the ports and harbours. He also supervised the construction of lighthouses, and designed all machinery and steel and iron structures, such as dock machinery and marine boilers, required for his department. In 1901, Mr. Mason, who had always retained an interest in Dunedin, resigned his appointment with the Victorian Government in order to commence private practice in his native city, where he now acts as a marine and general engineer, and has established a good connection in carrying out harbour works. and in dredging, municipal, and sanitary engineering.
Oakden And Begg
(Matthew Begg, C.E.), Architects, Surveyors, Civil and Mining Engineers, Manor Place, Dunedin. Private residence, Anderson's Bay, Established in 1880 by Mr. Frank Oakden, in conjunction with the present proprietor, the business was continued by the partners jointly till 1888, when Mr. Oakden retired and it has since been carried on solely by Mr. Begg. The leading branches of work are land and mining surveying, supervision of mining work generally, and civil engineering.
Payne, Francis William
, Consulting Engineer, New Zealand Government Life Insurance Building, Princes Street, Dunedin. P.O. Box, 216, Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, Roslyn. Born in 1864 near Northampton, England, and educated in Yorkshire; Mr. Payne became an articled pupil to Messrs. Nobbs and Co., “Vulcan Works,” Northampton, and after five years service he qualified as an engineer. Subsequently he held positions as a draughtsman in Manchester and in Northampton, but left for the colonies in 1887, and arrived in Melbourne in the same year. Mr. Payne was engaged in his profession in Australia for four years. In 1891 he paid his first visit to New Zealand, and remained about eighteen months. He then took a trip to the Old Country, where he visited the leading engineering establishments, and returned to settle in Dunedin in 1893. Mr. Payne, who established his business in 1897, makes a leading line of designing and superintending the construction of gold mining dredges; among others that may be named, the “Eureka” and “Upper Nevis” dredges; and dredges for the “Electric,” the “Magnetic,” the “Unity,” the “Chatto Creek” gold dredging companies and several others. These dredges cost from £4000 to £7000 each. Mr. Payne makes periodical visits to the gold mining districts, in connection with the erection of dredging plants; and for the purpose of reporting on mining operations in progress.
Petre, Francis William
. C.E., Architect and Engineer, 191 Princes Street, Dunedin. Mr. Petre arrived in Dunedin in
1872, under engagement to Messrs Brogden and Sons, railway contractors, and about three years later, after superintending the construction of the Dunedin-Clutha and the Blenheim-Picton lines, he established his present practice in Dunedin. For a short time he was engaged in engineering contracts; the reclamation of the Henley swamp, the building of the Deborah Bay tunnel, and the construction of the first section of the Otago Central railway being amongst his first works. Later on, Mr Petre devoted himself chiefly to architecture, in connection with which he has become well known throughout Otago and New Zealand. Church architecture has especially occupied his attention. The Roman Catholic Cathedral in Christ-church—now in course of construction—and certain to be one of the finest ecclesiastical buildings in New Zealand, St. Joseph's Cathe-dral, and the Dominican Convent, Dunedin; Cathedral, and Sacred Heart basilica, Wellington; the large church and basilica in Oamaru, besides many other churches, convents, and schools in the South Island, have all been designed by Mr. Petre, and built under his supervision. Several of the most imposing commercial houses of Christ church and Dunedin are also of his designing, such as the Australian Mutual Provident Society's building, in Cathedral Square, and Messrs Lewis and Gould's offices, in Hereford Street, Christchurch; and the Provident Industrial Insurance Company's building, and Messrs Murray, Roberts and Company's offices in Bond Street, Dunedin. He has also designed a large number of private residences in Dunedin and suburbs, including the late Mr. E. B. Cargill's residence. “The Cliffs.” Mr. Joachim's house at Mornington, and the late Judge Chapman's house, one of the finest concrete houses erected in Australasia. Mr. Petre is further referred to in another article as Acting Consular Agent, in Dunedin, for Italy.
Reynolds, Leslie Hunter
, A.M.I.C.E., Marine, Civil, and Consulting Engineer, Australian Mutual Provident
Society's Buildings, Princes Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 530. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Reynolds is the eldest son of the late Hon. W. H. Reynolds, M L C. He was born in Dunedin in 1862, was educated at the
High School, and served an apprenticeship to Messrs. Kincaid and McQueen, mechanical engineers. After three years' training in the Government Survey Department to qualify as a surveyor, Mr. Reynolds went to Britain and joined the Peterhead Harbour of Refuge Admialty Works, where he gained considerable experience in marine work. He was then employed by the late Sir John Coode, to report upon extensive harbour schemes at Grenada, West Indies, and Port of Spain, Trinidad. On his return to England, he was engaged under his chief in designing these and other works till 1890, when, with Mr. Charles J. Coode, M.I.C.E., he was sent by Messrs. J. Livesey and Sons, of London, as consulting engineer to the Peruvian Corporation, to investigate a posed line of traffic canal for the opening up of Central Bolivia, between Lakes Titicaca and Popoo. Upon the completion of these investigations, he was appointed sub-inspector of the Central System of Railways, Peru, with headquarters at Lima, but had to return, owing to ill-health, to London, where he was offered other appointments. Acting under medical advice, he declined these, and returned in 1892 to New Zealand, where he has since remained. Here Mr. Reynolds has become well known as consulting engineer in connection with various harbour works and water supplies and sewerage for several towns, and is also known in connection with gold mining reports, etc., and in the construction of dredges for gold mining in Otago. In 1891 he married Miss Jean Hunter, third daughter of the late Mr. Robert Hunter, of Edinburgh, and has one daughter.
Roach, Edmund M.
, Architect, Octagon, Dunedin. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Roslyn. This business was established in 1875, and since then Mr. Roach has taken his part in designing and supervising the erection of many well-known buildings in the city of Dunedin and Its suburbs. He was educated and brought up to his profession in London, and, after spending several years in Victoria —at Melbourne, Geelong, and Ballarat— arrived at Port Chalmers in 1861. After being in business for some time as a contractor—during which period he executed several large and important public and private works — he was appointed Inspector of Works under the Provincial Government of Otago, and supervised the building of the Normal School, Moray Place, the Museum, Great King Street (in concrete), and other works. Subsequently Mr. Roach became associated with Mr. David Ross, F.R.I.B.A., who designed the large offices of the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand, Ltd., Messrs. Guthrie and Larnach's factory, Princes Street, Messrs. Hallensteln's warehouse and clothing factory, Dowllng Street,
the premises of Messrs. A. and T. Inglis, George Street, and Messrs. A. and T. Burt, Ltd., Stuart Street, the Presbyterian Church, Clinton, and many other buildings, all of which were erected under Mr. Roach's supervision. The Baptist Church Sunday School, Hanover Street, the Manchester Unity Oddfellows' Hall, Stuart Street, the Primitive Methodist Church, Dundas Street, and two other buildings for the same church, manse and additions to Presbyterian Church, Mornington, the Otago Paper Mills, Dunedin, and many other buildings of a public and private character in the city and suburbs—St. Clair, Mornington, Roslyn, etc.—have been designed and erected by Mr. Roach, who has, also, carried out extensive alterations in the premises of Messrs A. and T. Burt, Ltd., and the offices of the Union Steam Ship Company, Ltd.
Oddfellows' Hall, Stuart Stbeet.E. M. Roach, Architect.
Baptist Church Sunday Schools, Hanover Stbeet. E. M. Roach, Architect.
“Rockwood,' Residence Of Mrs A. Inglis.
E. M. Roach, Architect.
Smith, J. P., M.A.
, Inst. M.E., Mining Engineer and Metallurgist, Lower Rattray Street. Dunedin. Mr. Smith received his first schooling in the science of metallurgy as a boy, his father being a gold and silver refiner. In 1891 he left Melbourne and made a tour of the New Zealand goldfields, buying concentrates for an Australian pyrites company, and afterwards purchased, on behalf of the same company, the tailings at the Saddle Hill mine near Dunedin, erected plant for their treatment, and shipped concentrates to Victoria. After completing this work Mr. Smith was appointed manager for the Barewood Gold Mining Company, but relinquished that position to become editor of the New Zealand Mining Journal, which he edited, while practising as a mining engineer, until 1898. When Etard's permanganate process for gold extraction was first introduced, his services were secured as metallurgist to the company which owned the patent right for Australasia and America. He designed and erected the experimental plant consisting of reverberating furnace, leaching and precipitation vats, etc., and conducted the bulk experiments. These proved that, by adopting Dr. Black's modification of the original patent, the process would be a commercial success, and would treat at a small cost the most refractory ores. Mr. Smith afterwards travelled for the Permanganate Company through Australia, from Charters Towers in Northern Queensland, to Adelaide, demonstrating the process at the different mines and metallurgical works. He was successful in getting it adopted at the Bethanga works, the second largest chlorination plant in the Australian colonies. After this tour he returned to New Zealand, and has since resided in Dunedin. Mr. Smith recently completed the construction of the first section of the Shetland Terrace Slucing Company's waterrace, in the Paparoa Ranges on the West Coast. This race, now (1901) completed for a distance of two miles, is carried through steep and rugged bush country, with numerous slips. In the two miles there is three quarters of a mile of rock tunnelling, and
more than a quarter of a mile of fluming. some of which is on trestles fifty feet high. The race will carry twenty-five Government heads of water, and, as the cost to the company was only £18 per chain, including surveys and supervision, it is considered one of the cheapest engineering works yet constructed in the South Island.
, Marine Surveyor, Dunedin. Captain Thomson was born in November, 1822, at Alloa, Scotland, and was educated is his native place. At the age of
thirteen he went to sea as an apprentice, and such was his progress that at twenty-one he was master of a vessel. He continued at sea till the last day of 1859. having for several years commanded ships trading in the North Atlantic and Indian Oceans, and between Australian and New Zealand ports; his last vessel was the S.S. “Geelong,” engaged in the New Zealand coastal trade. At the beginning of 1860 Captain Thomson was appointed chief harbour master in charge of Otago harbours from Oamaru to the Bluff, and retained the position until the establishment of harbour boards in 1874, when his duties were confined to the port of Dunedin; where he resigned a quarter of a century after the date of his appointment. During the ensuing two years Captain Thomson had charge of the Port Chalmers Graving Dock, but retired in 1888 to accept the position he now holds, together with that of Lloyd's surveyor. He was Examiner of Masters and Mates and Adjuster of Compasses in Dunedin for the twenty years ending in 1894. Captain Thomson was the first captain to sail out of Brisbane with a cargo of wool for Britain direct. That was in January, 1852.