The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Dunedin Savings Bank
Dunedin Savings Bank , Lower High Street, Dunedin. Vice-President, Mr. Keith Ramsay; Trustees, Messrs R. Chisholm, Thomas Christie, G. L. Denniston, George Lawrence, J. T. MacKerras, P. T. Wright, and J. F. Arnold, M.H.R.; manager, Mr F. Smith. The Dunedin Savings Bank was established in 1861 under the provisions of the “Savings Bank Act, 1858,” to encourage thrift in New Zealand. The trustees have acted voluntarily and without remuneration, despite the constant demands on their valuable time, and the bank has already been enabled to vote the large sums of £11,205 to benevolent institutions, and £6500 to the University of Otago, by way of endowment out of profits earned. The amount which has accumulated to the credit of depositors is £100,000. The accounts show a surplus of some £10,300, in addition to £1159 placed to the credit of a special reserve fund to provide against contingencies. The Dunedin Savings Bank owes a debt of gratitude to the ability of Mr. E. Smith, who successfully managed the institution from its inception till his death in 1895.