Mr. James Macneil Brown
, the manager, is a son of the late Mr. James Brown, who arrived in Dunedin by the ship “Berinicea,” in 1849, and brought out with him
the timber of the first wooden house built in Dunedin. He died in 1898, Mr. Brown was born on board ship a few days before landing, and was educated in Dunedin, and at Nelson College. He entered the Dunedin office of the Bank of New Zealand, and nine years later joined the National Bank, and was appointed manager of the North Dunedin branch on its opening in 1877. Mr. Brown is now the oldest bank manager in Dunedin. He is a trustee of the Dunedin Hospital, and has been a Justice of the Peace for sixteen years. He married Miss Ashenden, of Auckland, who died on the 28th of January, 1895, leaving one daughter.