The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Commins, Percival , Doctor of Magnetism and Medical Electrician. Rattray Street. Dunedin. The practice now conducted by Dr. Commins was established by the late Mr. Jenkins, who was succeeded by the present proprietor. The establishment is one of the best of its kind in the Australasian colonies, and is supplied with all the latest and most scientific appliances. Magnetic and galvanic treatment is now recognised as a valuable addition to medical science, and has given most wonderful results, particularly in nervous and kindred diseases. Dr. Commins, who is a graduated Doctor of Magnetics, made a specialty of this study in Europe page 254 and America, and since his arrival in New Zealand he has treated many cases with unquestionable success. The treatment is conducted in a large building in Rattray Street. An electric current is generated by means of a four horse power gas engine, and a powerful dynamo, supplemented with about 500 battery cells. On the ground floor there are several large rooms, each of which is furnished with special galvanic appliances for the treatment of different ailments. There are galvanic baths for gout, and steam electric baths for sciatica and rheumatism, on the second floor, and there is a bath for treatment by sunlight and colour; a new system which has given successful results in the cure of various diseases. The treatment by electrolysis, for the removal of disfiguring or superfluous hair, is a special feature of the system applied by Dr. Commins. A Rontgen ray apparatus of the latest pattern is used successfully for curing lupus. This treatment has been introduced into the London hospitals with truly satisfactory results. Although Dr. Commins has been only about seven years in Dunedin, his methods of treatment have taken a strong hold of public attention.
Culling, Margaret Ogilvie , Masseuse and Electrician, 39 Moray Place, Dunedin. Miss Culling was born in Dunedin, and educated at the Convent there. About 1890 she began to study for her profession, and in 1892 went to Auckland, where, at Rotorua, she practised under the guidance of an eminent German electrician. In 1894 she returned to Dunedin, and commenced practice in the Australian Mutual Provident Buildings, and about seven years later removed to her present position in Moray Place. Miss Culling's rooms comprise four well-appointed apartments on the ground floor of a two storey stone and plaster building. The apparatus is of the most up-to-date character, and includes the electrical boilers and electrical vibration appliances used in the application of Tallerman's system of dry-hot-air treatment.
Martin, Alexander William , Hernia Specialist, 26 Smith Street, Dunedin. Mr. Martin was born at Milton, Otago, in 1863, and is a son of the late Mr. James Martin, who came to New Zealand in 1840. He was educated at the Milton district grammar school, and was afterwards trained as a draper. In 1896 he entered the employment of Messrs A. and T. Inglis, George Street, Dunedin, and occupied a responsible position there for some years. In his leisure hours Mr. Martin devoted himself to the study of hernia and its cure, and in 1303, he resigned his commercial position, and purchased the sole right, in the Australasian colonies, to employ the famous method of hernia treatment founded by the late Dr. J. A. Sherman, of New York, America.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. A. W. Martin.
The Massage Institute (Proprietors, Mr. and Mrs D. Edwin Booth), 30 Stuart Street, Dunedin. This institute was page 255 established in 1891, and is one of the finest and most up-to-date electro-massage and dry-hot-air establishments in New Zealand. It comprises four well-chosen apartments in a two-storied building aoutting on the street, and is furnished with all the latest appliances for electro-massage and dry-hot-air treatment. Hundreds of patients, suffering from ailments too numerous and varied to enumerate, annually pass through the institute, which enjoys the patronage of medical men of note in the colony. Lady patients are attended to by Mrs Booth, and male patients by Mr. Booth, both of whom have spent many years in a close study of their profession.
Mr. D. Edwin Booth was born in New York in 1868, and was educated in England for the medical profession. Before completing his course, however, he turned his attention to his present calling, and after making a thorough study of electro-massage and dry-hot-air, as well as other branches of treatment, he left for Australia. There, for a time, he continued his studies in anatomy, besides visiting some of the hospitals, and in 1891 he sailed for Dunedin to establish his present practice. At Sydney, New South Wales, in 1830, he married Miss Mary Mee, who for twelve years was a nurse in the London Hospital, and other London institutions. Mrs Booth ably assists her husband in his professional work.
Tallerman's System Of Dry Hot Air Being Applied To A Patient By Mr. D. E. Booth.
Stanton, William , Cancer Specialist, Stuart Street, Dunedin. Mr. Stanton is the son of a British naval officer, and was born at Hendon, near London, in 1838. For some years he studied for the medical profession, in London and Cambridge, but, discovering that he was possessed of great power as a magnetic healer, he changed his plans, and entered the magnetic institute of Dr. Elliot, Edgeware Road, London, where he spent seven years, going through a complete course in the study of magnetic healing. In 1858 Mr. Stanton sailed for Australia, where he practised his profession for about ten years, when he came to New Zealand. For about nine years he conducted a private hospital, in Auckland, for patients suffering from cancer, and in 1900 removed to Dunedin, where he has since acquired an extensive practice.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. W. Stanton.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. J. Johnson.
Mr. Johnson was born in Norway, in 1838, and served an apprenticeship with Morris, Gallus and Co., artificial limb-makers. He arrived in New Zealand in 1878, in the ship “Waips,” and ten years later started his present business. As a Freemason he is attached to Lodge Otago, 844, English Constitution, and he is also a member of the Dunedin Bowling Club. Mr. Johnson was married in 1880, to a daughter of Mr. John Stevens, an old colonist, and has five daughters and one son.
The St. John Ambulance Association (New Zealand Centre). The Dunedin Centre of this body was established in 1889, and the present officers are: President, Mr. Justice Williams, M.A., LL.M.; Vice-Presidents, the Most Rev. the Primate (Bishop Nevill), and Mr. John Roberts, C.M.G.; Chairman, Dr. W. J. Will, J.P.; Vice-Chairman, the Mayor of Dunedin, ex-officio; Secretary and Treasurer, Mr. J. E. Bone. During the fifteen years of its existence in Otago the Centre has pursued with vigour the object of the parent body. Not only in Dunedin, but in many other parts of the province, classes are held every year for the instruction of members in first-aid to the injured, and in nursing, and in this connection many of the medical practitioners have given their services free. In Dunedin city the classes have been especially successful, and a large number of candidates have passed through various courses and received certificates. The following are the results of classes since the formation of the local centre; Men who have completed course of instruction, over 2000; men who have re-received certificates, about 1000; women who have completed course of instruction, about 2800, this number being nearly equally divided between the first aid and the nursing classes; women who have received certificates, first aid, about 950; nursing, about 400; certificated pupils who have received medallions—men, about 180; women, about 180. In connection with its city brigade and invalid transport service, the Centre has several wheeled litters on springs, ambulance stretchers and hampers of surgical requisites. These are kept in central positions, such as the City Fire Brigade station, for public use in case of accident or sickness. The ambulance and nursing corps, both at Dunedin and at country centres, have rendered valuable service, and in many instances really good work has been done. There are also other phases of activity in connection with the Order, such as the almoners' department, which assists indigent convalescents, and the department for the presentation of awards for distinguished conduct in the rescue of human life. In all these branches the Dunedin Centre has shown itself keenly alive to its self-imposed duties. An abstract of the history of the Association is given at page 289 of the Canterbury volume of this Cyclopedia, and is here reproduced by special request. The St. John Ambulance Association can be traced back to the year 1023, when some merchants of Amalfi, a seaport to the south of Naples, obtained permission from the Caliph of Bagdad to found a hospice at Jerusalem for the reception of Christian pilgrims, who were lodged, and, if sick, cared for, at the establishment. This institution was so useful that it acquired a far-spread popularity, and not only pilgrims, but pious persons in all parts of Christendom, contributed to its funds. A well-defined organisation, therefore, soon became a necessity. From this organisation emerged the Order of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, famous in connection with the Crusades, and the defence of Acre, Rhodes, and Malta, and for its influence generally upon war, politics, and religion, as well as for its treatment of sick and wayworn pilgrims and travellers. In its modern civic development, as the St. John Ambulance Association, it continues to do a great philanthropic work in maintenance of its motto Pro utilitate hominum. Its present lines of action may be said to date from 1827, though it was not till 1877 that the association was formally founded, and its charter of incorporation was not granted till 1888. St. John's Gate, London, is the headquarters of the association. In England the work of the Order takes various forms, such as the relief of convalescents from hospitals and infirmaries, the promotion of cottage hospitals in country districts, the maintenance of ambulance stations, and the award of medals and diplomas for gallantry in saving life by land. Its classes for instruction in the methods of first aid in cases of accident or sickness are extremely interesting in themselves, and the means of conferring genuine benefits on the community. The Victoria Hospital at Cairo, a Nursing Home for the sick poor in London. and the British Ophthalmic Hospital at Jerusalem, were instituted by the association. It may be stated that the Sultan of Turkey himself presented the association with the ground on which its hospital stands at Jerusalem; just as the Caliph of Bagdad, in 1023, gave the merchants of Amalfi a site for their hospice.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Dr. W. J. Will.