The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Mr. A. J. Barth's Residence.H. F. Hardy, Architect.
Mr. A. J. Barth.
Blandford, Mrs George , L.R.A.M., Teacher of Pianoforte and Voice Production, and Senior Teacher of music at St. Hilda's Collegiate School, Dunedin. Mrs Blandford was born in Jamacia, West India, and is a daughter of the late Major Doorly, of the 1st West India Regiment. Her brothers occupy prominent positions in the musical world; and from an early age Mrs Blandford displayed exceptional talent in music, and played at her first concert in the West Indies, at the age of eight years. In 1875 Mrs Blandford, then Miss Doorly, was successful in winning a tie for the Sterndale Bennett Prize, when she was highly commended for her playing by the Board of Examiners of the Royal Academy of Music. She studied under Mr. Arthur O'Leary, Fellow of the Royal Academy of Music, who testified to her exceptional talents as a pianist and musician, and stated that she had distinguished herself most highly at the Academy, and that he had the greatest confidence in her ability to teach. At the Metropolitan examination, held in 1889, Mrs Blandford, who was then senior music teacher at the Church High School, Newcastle-on-Tyne, obtained the diploma of Licentiate of the Royal Academy of Music, Class A. pianoforte, as a performer and teacher. She had been prepared for this examination by Dr. Rea, and its difficulty may be shown from the fact that out of one hundred and twenty candidates only seven were successful in class A. When Mr. Blandford was appointed to an important position in a large business house in Sydney, Mrs Blandford secured the appointment of music teacher at Scott's College, and on leaving Sydney for New Zealand, Mr. Ashworth Aspinall, Principal of the College, bore testimony to the excellent work done by her, and expressed great regret at her departure. Mr. Blandford having accepted a position in Dunedin, he removed thither in 1898, but the same year he lost his life in the disastrous fire at the Royal Oak Hotel, Wellington. In 1902 Mrs Blandford visited London, with the object of getting in touch with the latest music and musicians, and when there she was elected honorary local representative in Dunedin of the Royal Academy of Music. She is recognised as one of the leading musicians in Dunedin, and has been most successful with her pupils in the Associated Board Examinations. From the year 1899 to 1903 inclusive one senior and two junior silver medals, four senior and two junior honours, six distinctions, and ninety-three practical passes were gained by Mrs Blandford's pupils. Five of her pupils entered in 1903 for the Dunedin competitions, and gained four first prizes, one of which was in the highest grade open to all, two second prizes, and in one entry her pupils gained first, second and third prizes.
Mrs G. Blandford.
Branson, Gerald Charles Francis , Teacher of Voice Production and Singing, The Dresden, Princes Street, Dunedin. Mr. Branson is the second son of the late Mr. Gerald Dyson Branson, barrister, who practised his profession in Melbourne, Dunedin, and Ashburton, and died in Christ-church in 1884. He is a grandson of the late Mr. William Branson, Q.C., of Madras, India; and his maternal grandfather was the late Mr. R. D. Ireland, Q.C., one of the most able and talented lawyers of his day in Melbourne. Mr. Branson was born in Horsham, Victoria, in 1877, and when an infant came with his parents to Dunedin. He was educated at the George Street public school, and the Otago Boys' High School, and subsequently entered the service of the National Bank of New Zealand. After two years he joined the staff of the Mutual Assurance Society of Victoria, but resigned to follow the profession of music. Mr. Branson, who inherits the exceptional musical talents of his family, first studied at Dunedin under Miss Mengredien, and in 1899 proceeded to Melbourne to study with Herr Rudolf Himmer, then a leading music teacher, and now Professor of Singing at the Melbourne University. He returned to New Zealand in 1900. and after teaching for a year at Invercargill, went again to Melbourne to pursue a further course of studies under his former teacher. Mr. Branson returned to Dunedin in 1903, where he has since been most successful, and has specially devoted himself to voice production and singing. He has been connected with the Choral Society, of which he was a member from its inception, and was [gap — reason: illegible] cantante of the choir at All Saints' Church for some time.
Busck, Kate , Teacher of Pianoforte, Violin, Guitar, and Singing, “The Dresden,” Princes Street, Dunedin. Miss Busck was born in Denmark, and first studied under Madame Siboni, a pupil of the famous Clara Schumann, and a gold medallist of the Leipsic Conservatoire. At the age of sixteen she went to the Conservatoire at Copenhagen, and worked under the famous Danish composer, Herr Neils Gade, who was head of that institution. Miss Busck came to New Zealand in 1890, and soon established herself as a teacher of music.
De Lautour, Bertram Aubrey , Teacher of Violin and Mandoline, George Street, Dunedin. Mr. de Lautour is the eldest son of Dr. de Lautour, of Stuart Street, Dunedin, and was born at Richmond, London, in 1874, and came to Port Chalmers in 1884. He first studied music under Mr. Wiltshire, of Tapanui, and after teaching the violin at Gore for a year and a half, came to Dunedin, where he is now a teacher of recognised talent. Mr. de Lautour has a number of pupils, and holds classes for the Trinity College examinations. His string band, numbering seventeen performers, is in demand at all the leading local functions. Mr. de Lautour is married, and has one son and one daughter.
Densem, William , Teacher of Singing and Elocution, “The Dresden,” Dunedin. Mr. Densem was born at Brixham, Devonshire, England, and educated partly in his native place, and partly at Barcelona, in Spain. He is descended from a talented musical family, and his mother was the leading soprano in the choir of the Rev. Samuel Lyle, composer of the well known hymn “Abide with me,” which was first sung by Mrs Densem. Mr. Densem studied under Vidal, the chorus master of the Lyceo Opera House at Barcelona. In 1876 he came to New Zealand, and, not finding sufficient inducement at that time to follow music as a profession, he accepted a commercial appointment, which he held for several years. In 1892 Mr. Densem organised a company, known as the Densem, Doyle Operatic Company, and made a most successful tour through India, Java, and the Straits Settlement. This company was composed of several leading musical artists, notably Miss Bessie Doyle. After a often months' tour they returned to Sydney, where they played at the Criterion Theatre, when the company was dissolved. In December, 1893, under the management of Mr. Turner, Mr. Densem and Lalla Miranda gave their charming entertainment of “Picture, Song and Story,” at the Peoples' Promenade Concerts held in the Melbourne Exhibition. Mr. Densem subsequently joined Mr. Charles Saunders, an English tenor, and under the name of the Saunders, D'Ensem Opera Company, page 218 made a twelve months' successful tour through Victoria. The following year, in conjunction with Messrs William Elton and Wilfred Shine, he was equally successful in the “Morocco Band Company.” Mr. Densem then became stage manager and baritone vocalist for Mr. Harry Richards, at the Tivoli Theatre, and on the conclusion of his three years engagement, was presented with an illuminated address and a cheque for £120. The presentation was made by Mr. Charles Godfrey, on behalf of the players engaged in the Tivoli and Palace Theatres, and the Melbourne Opera House. In 1897 Mr. Densem went to England, and, after appearing in variety and pantomime, joined Mr. George Edwards in the Gaiety Theatre, London, and with Miss Decima Moore, the Countess Russell, and Mr. Fred. Graham, now stage manager for Mr. Williamson, toured the provinces in Mr. Edwards' Number One Company in “The Circus Girl,” and “The Runaway Girl.” He returned to New Zealand in 1902 to take up the profession of teacher of singing and elocution, and is now one of the most successful teachers in Dunedin Mr. Dersem is a Freemason of old standing, and a member of Lodge Dunedin, No. 931, English Constitution.
Mr. J. C. Easton.
Fea, Miss Ina , 53 Manor Place, Dunedin. Miss Fea, who has studied under Mr. A. J. Barth, A.L.A.M., and is an Associate of Trinity College, London, is a successful teacher of pianoforte and harmony.
Mr. M. Gard'Ner.
Green, Maude Ogilvie , Teacher of Pianoforte Harmony, Pianoforte and Counterpoint, Como House, Moray Place, Dunedin. Miss Geerin in a daughter of Sergeant Geerin, of Port Chalmers. She received the first part of her musical training in the Dominican Convent at Dunedin, and afterwards studied under Mr. Vallis, organist of St. Joseph's Cathedral. Miss Geerin, who commenced teaching in 1903, prepares pupils for the Trinity College and Royal Academy examinations.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Miss. M. O. Green.
Hotop, May , Teacher of Pianoforte, Harmony, and German, Moray Place, Dunedin. Miss Hotop is a daughter of Mr. Lewis Hotop, chemist, of Queenstown, and sister of Dr. Hotop, of Dunedin. She received the first part of her musical education with Mr. Barth and Herr Barmeyer, and in 1897 proceeded to Germany and studied under Herr Hokapelmeister Langert, a pupil of the renowned Liszt, and Court Musical Director to the late Duke of Coburg. Miss Hotop subsequently studied at the Conservatoire of Zurich under Ernest Lochbranner, who was a pupil of Eugen D'Albert. After three years she returned to New Zealand, holding a certificate from Herr Hokapelmeister Langert, for general musical knowledge in pianoforte and harmony. Since her return, Miss Hotop has had exceptional success as a teacher of music and of German.
Wriggleworth and Binns, photo,
Miss M. Hotop.
Mr. T. Lack.
Leech, Frederick , Teacher of Violin, Viola, and Double Bass. “The Violin School,” Moray Place, Dunedin. Mr. Leech, who is one of the oldest and most successful teachers in Dunedin, was born in Manchester, and studied under Mr. John Wild, a well known musician of that town. He went to Victoria in 1858, and in 1866 was attracted by the gold rush and came to Hokitika. Mr. Leech came to Dunedin with Cogle and Lyster's Royal Italian Opera Company, in 1873, and afterwards secured an engagement as Musical Director of the Princess Theatre, under the management of Geddis and Willis. Shortly afterwards he started teaching, and his orchestra formed the nucleus of the present Orchestral Society.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. J. M. Lomas
Mr. R. McNeill.
Malony, Kate , Teacher of Piano, Theory, and Flower Painting, “The Dresden,” Princes Street, Dunedin. Miss Malony was born in Tasmania, received most of her musical education in the Dominican Convent, Dunedin, and completed her studies under Herr Benno Scherek, the well known musician. She has taught music most successfully for several years, and prepares pupils for the Trinity College examinations. Before settling permanently in Dunedin she spent a year in Hawke's Bay, where she was well known as a brilliant platform pianiste. Her brother, the Rev. Father Malony, of Wellington, was taught by her. Miss Malony is also a successful teacher of flower painting.
Monkman, Mrs Mary Frances , Teacher of Music and Singing. Mrs Monkman is the youngest daughter of the late William Poppelwell, one of the pioneer settlers of Otago. She was born in 1867, and educated at St. Dominic's Convent, Dunedin. Her musical education was begun under Miss Wyld, of Dunedin, and continued for some time by Mother Catherine, of the Convent. She then became a pupil of Herr Benno Scherek, and studied under him for seven years. Mrs Monkman's singing master was Mr H. H. Wells, of Christchurch, and so thorough has been her grounding in the knowledge of her art, that she is exceptionally well qualified to impart instruction in turn. She has made a special study of the art of breathing as applied to singing, rightly regarding it as a prime essential in voice production. As a consent singer Mrs Monkman has achieved much success, as she possesses a beautiful mezzo voice of great range and fine quality.
Murphy, Mrs William , Teacher of Singing and Voice Production, Stuart Street, Dunedin. Mrs Murphy was born in Victoria, and received her musical education from her father, the late Herr Scott, R.A.M.L., one of the leading musicians in Victoria, and well known in New Zealand. She made her debut in Dunedin at the age of twelve, at her father's concert, in the “Stabat Mater,” held at the Queen's Theatre. Subsequently, when Mrs Murphy made Dunedin her home, she took the leading soprano part at the local amateur operatic and choral concerts, and her appearance on every occasion was greeted with the greatest enthusiasm. For years she has devoted her talent to teaching voice production and singing, and has met with unqualified success. Her daughter and pupil, Miss Amy Murphy, possesses a fine soprano voice, and was engaged to take part in the same programme with Madame Melba, at a concert in Melbourne, in which only singers and musicians of distinction appeared.
Stokes, Harry , Teacher of the Banjo, Mandoline, and Guitar, Poplar House, 22 Leith Street, Dunedin. Mr. Stokes was born in England, and accompanied his parents to Dunedin in 1879. He inherits his musical ability from his mother, and has studied under several professors of music. Mr. Stokes, who is the only teacher of the banjo, mandoline, and guitar in Dunedin, has a trained band of twenty-five performers, and his annual concerts find great favour with lovers of music in Dunedin. He is a most painstaking teacher, and he personally arranges all the music for the different instruments.
Squarise, Raphael Victorio , Professor of Music, Princes Street, Dunedin, Private residence, North-East Harbour, Peninsula. Signor Squarise was born at Vicenza, in Italy, in 1856, and was educated at Turin, page 221 where from the age of twelve he studied the violin at the Conservatorium of Music, and such was his success that he gained a first prize every year for six successive years. He left Turin in 1875, and made a tour of Italy, during which he gave concerts, in which he was assisted by a pianist and two soloists. During his term of four years' service in the army, he was bandmaster in the Imperial Militia of Italy. In 1883 Signor Squarise came out to Melbourne, where he was leader of the orchestra of Messrs Williamson, Gardner and Musgrove for twelve months. He went to Adelaide about the end of 1883 as leader of the Theatre Royal Orchestra, which he conducted for five years. As Lieut.-Band-master of the South Australia Military Band, he served four years, and was generally prominent in all musical matters. Signor Squarise came to Dunedin in 1889 to take the leadership of the orchestra of the New Zealand and South Seas Exhibition, and at the close of the exhibition he settled in Dunedin. He has acted as bandmaster for both the Garrison and Citizens' Bands, and took second prize with the former at the competition in 1891. Signor Squarise conducted at performances of the “Messiah,” “Elijah,” and “Stabat Mater” at the festival promoted by Mr. Newberry. He has also conducted on his own behalf, and once put on Rosini's opera, the “Barber of Seville.” In conjunction with Mr. D. Cargill, who wrote the libretto, Signor Squarise wrote the music of the opera “Fabian,” which was produced with great success in 1895 at the Princess Theatre. As a teacher he has been most successful. Not long since three of his pupils—Miss Williams, daughter of Judge Williams, and Misses Moor and Watson—succeeded in gaining ninety-five, ninety-four, and ninety-three marks respectively out of a possible one hundred, for violin playing under the Trinity College London local examinations. These results speak eloquently for the instructor.
Mr. W. E. Taylor.
Timson, Jesse , Teacher of Music, Princes Street, Dunedin. Mr. Timson is further referred to as conductor of the Dunedin Choral Society.
Vallis, Albert , Music Teacher, George Street, Dunedin. Mr. Vallis was born in Berkshire, England, and came to Dunedin in 1887. Shortly after his arrival he was appointed organist at the Congregational Church, Moray Place, and afterwards occupied a similar position in connection with St. Matthew's church, before becoming organist at St. Joseph's Cathedral, in 1891. Mr. Vallis is a successful teacher of the piano and organ, and in 1903 one of his pupils gained the local exhibition prize in the Trinity College examinations.
Mrs. J. Wilkie.