The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Orders And Friendly Societies
Orders And Friendly Societies.
Two hundred years ago there was scarcely a Masonic temple in the world, and the brethren of olden times were compelled to assemble in crypts and vaults, in secrecy and terror. Now every town, almost every village, in the British Empire, in the United States, and in all the free countries of the world, has its Masonic Hall, or its Lodge, and Freemasonry is as far spread as the globe itself. Monarchs are its patrons, philosophers its advocates, divines its expounders, and statesmen its defenders. Ordered liberty may be said to be guaranteed by the extension of its principles, which are defined in the words: “Honour all men, love the Brotherhood, fear God, honour the King.” Freemasonry offers a platform, on which all men may unite without regard to the limitations of other institions, whether civil or religious.
Many of the pioneer settlers of Otago were staunch Freemasons, but it was to until 1860 that the mother lodge of the province was constituted. On the evening of Wednesday, the 8the of August, of that year, the ceremony of the inauguration of Lodge Otago, No. 844, E.C., and the installation of its Worshipful Master, Mr. George Smith, were conducted by Mr. Sydney James, with a proficiency that could not have been surpassed by an installing officer of the oldest standing under the English Constitution. The paraphernalia was superior to that in use in many lodges in the mother country. Upwards of thirty brethren mustered for the occasion; the supper which followed passed off in capital style, and the brethren retired, cordially greeting each other with “hearty good wishes.”
It was not long after this that the fraternity under the Scottish Constitution formed themselves into a lodge, for on the 17th of June, 1861, Lodge Otago Kilwinning, No. 417, S.C., was opened. In the following year, Lodge Marine, No. 942, E.C. (Port Chalmers), came into existence.
Thursday, the 13th of August, 1864, was a red-letter day in the Masonic calendar of Otago, owing to the installation of the Superintendent of the Province, Mr. John Hyde Harris, as the first Provincial Grand Master of Otago and Southland, under the English Constitution. Over 200 craftsmen assembled, and no expense was spared to make the ceremony complete. The Masonic Hall was tastefully decorated, under the skilful superintendence of the Provincial Grand Superintendent of Works, Mr. John Millar, F.S.A., and for the two or three following days the hall was thrown open to such of the outer world as desired to view the temple of the Mystic Brotherhood. The Commission from the Earl of Zetland. Most Worshipful Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of England, constituting the Masonic Province of Otago, was read by Mr. R. H. Forman, P.G.S., the Registrar Designate, and the ceremonies of installation and investiture were conducted by Mr. John Lazer, P.D.P.G.M. for the province of South Australia. The other principal officers of the new Provincial Grand Lodge were Messrs Sydney James, W.M. of the Lodge of Otago, as S.W., and E. Nathan, W.M. of the Lodge of Dunedin, as J.W.
In the country towns throughout the province lodges were established, and at the period under notice upwards of 500 Freemasons page 195 were enrolled as members of the various lodges in Otago.
On the 19th of April, 1865, the ceremony of the consecration of the Provincial Grand Lodge of New Zealand, S.C., was held at the Masonic Hall, when, under a Commission from the Grand Lodge of Scotland, the Hon. Vincent Pyke was invested and installed in due form, as the first Provincial Grand Master in New Zealand, under that Constitution.
The Irish Constitution obtained a footing in the young settlement by the establishment of Lodge Shamrock, No. 448, I.C., on the 28th of March, 1866. Of this lodge Mr. Charles White was the first Worshipful Master, and Mr. T. S. Graham, who was one of its founders and the second Worshipful Master, held office as Senior Warden. Mr. H. de Burgh-Adams was, at that time, Provincial Grand Master of New Zealand under this Constution.
Up to 1888 the meetings of the lodges in Dunedin were held in a small Maconic Hall at the back of Wain's Hotel, in Princes Street. In that year a site having been purchased in Moray Place, the foundation stone of a new hall was laid on the 1st of June, 1868, with Masome honours, by the Hon. Vincent Pyke, the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master of New Zealand, Scottish Constitution, before a large assemblage of craftsmen. At that time there were seven lodges in the province under the English Constitution, seven under the Scottish, and one under the Irish Constitution. The ceremoney of the consecration of the new Masonic Hall was performed on the 23rd of April, 1869, by Mr John Hyde Harris, Right Worshipful District Grand Master of Otago, English Constitution; the Hon. Vincent Pyke, Right Wershipful Provincial Grand Master of New Zealand, Scottish Constitution, and Mr. Charles White, Provincial Grand Registrar, Irish Constitution; assisted by the District Grand Lodge of Otago, the Provincial Grand Lodge of New Zealand, and the officers and members of the various lodges. About 250 Freemasons were in attendance. This hall was held by the Order for some years, but was subsequently purchased by Mr. Richard Hudson.
The present large and commodious Masonic Hall, in Moray Place, which was formerly used as a Jewish Synagogue, was dedicated to Masonic purposes on the 31st of August, 1881, with full Masonic honours. The ceremony was performed by Mr. John Hyde Harris D.G.M., English Constitution, assisted by his officers; Mr. James Gore, D.D.G.M., Scottish Constitution and officers; and Mr. T. S. Graham, D.D.G.M., Irish Constitution, and officers. Fifteen lodges were represented and about 450 Freemasons were present. The hall, at the time of opening, had cost the Masonic Hall Company about £3,000.
From is inception in the province, Free-masonry flourshed apace, and the three Constitutions worked in perfect harmony with each other. In the later eighties there arose a feeling that it would be advisable to unite under a Grand Lodge for New Zealand, and meetings were held throughout the colony to foster the idea. A meeting was held in Dunedin on the 29th of March, 1889, attended by delegates from the lodges of the province; at which Mr. Sydney James, the Senior Past Master, presided, and it was resolved: “That, in the opinion of this meeting, it is desirable that a Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of New Zealand be formed, and that immediate steps be taken to that end.” Similar resolutions having been carried in other centres, the culminating point was reached on the 29th of April, 1890, when the Grand Lodge of New Zealand was inaugurated at Christchurch. The officers of the Grand Lodge were elected, Mr. Henry Thompson becoming the first Grand Master, and resolutions were also adopted providing Boards of General Purposes and Benevolence.
The majority of lodges in New Zealand went over to the new Constitution, but a minority preferred to remain under their established allegiance. Just prior to the inauguration of the New Zealand Grand Lodge there were in the Otago and Southland province sixteen lodges working under the English Constitution, fifteen under the Scottish Constitution, and two under the Irish Constitution. Now (1904) there are only four lodges under the English, seven under the Scottish, and still two under the Irish Constitution. The others have seceded, and affiliated themselves under the Grand Lodge of New Zealand, which now governs twenty-two lodges in the province.
Many of the old colonists of Otago who faithfully worked in the good interests of Freemasonry have now passed to their eternal rest. Among these may be specially mentioned Mr. Sydney James, who for many years was District Grand Secretary under the English Constitution, and was also Past Deputy District Grand Master; Mr. Edward Nathan, a Past Deputy District Grand Master, and founder of Lodge Dunedin, No. 931, English Constitution; the Rev. Bernard Lichtenstein, Chaplain of the District Grand Lodge of Otago and Southland, English Constitution, and Past Master of Lodge Dunedin, No. 931, English Constitution; Mr. William Caldwell, P.M., Grand Steward of the Grand Lodge of Scotland, and a 33 degree of Scotland land; and Mr. Louis Court, Deputy District Grand Master, Scottish Constitution, also a 33 degree of Scotland.
The District Grand Lodge of Otago and Southland holds quarterly communications at the Masonic Hall, Moray Place, Dunedin, as may be ordered, and the Board of General Purposes meets as occasion requires. The present officers of the Grand Lodge are: D.G.M., Mr. Thomas Sherlock Graham; D.D.G.M., Dr. J. O. Closs; D.G.S.W., Mr. W. S. Barnard; the junior wardenship is vacant; and Mr. G. Barclay is District Grand Secretary.
Mr. Thomas Sherlock Graham , Right Worshipful District Grand Master, has held this distinguished position since 1881, when he succeeded the late Mr. John Hyde Harris. He has been District Grand Master for the South Island of the Mark Degree, English Constitution, Mr. Graham is Past Master of Lodge Shamrock, No. 448, Irish Constitution, also of Lodge St. Patrick, No. 468, Irish Constitution, and a member of several private lodges. He is an honorary member of Lodge St. Mary's Chapel, Edinburgh, No. 1; Past Prior of the Priory of Otago (Knights Templar); Past Sovereign of the Knights of Rome and of the Red Cross of Constantine, and Past Z of the Otago Royal Arch Chapter. Mr. Graham is also a member of the Veterans' Association of San Francisco, and a 33 degree under the Supreme Council of Scotland.
Mr. T. S. Graham.
Dr Joseph O. Closs , Deputy Grand Master, is referred to in the Medical Section of this volume.
Lodge Otago , No. 844, English Constitution, was constituted on the 8th of August, 1860, and its warrant is dated the 27th of November, of the same year. Before that date meetings were held under special dispensation. Up to 1862 the members assembled at the Commercial Hotel in High Street, and for the two following years at the Shamrock Hotel, in Rattray Street. From 1864 to 1869 the lodge met in the hall at the back of Wain's Hotel, in Princess Street; and since 1870 the meetings have been regularly held in the Masonic Hall, Moray Place. The present date of meeting is the first Wednesday of every month. Messrs F. J. Gunn, Worshipful Master; W. I. Bolan, Senior Warden; L. Warsaw, Junior Warden; and G. D. Wright, Secretary. The lodge has about 100 members.
Mr. Farquhar John Gunn , Worshipful Master of Lodge Otago, No. 844, English Constitution, was installed in office by Mr. T. S. Graham, R.W.D.G.M., in September, 1903. He was initiated in his present lodge in July, 1895, and is a P.G.S.D. of the District Grand Lodge, English Constitution.page 196
Mr. Gunn is a son of Mr. Farquhar Gunn, an old colonist, who resides at Kakanui in the Oamaru district, and arrived in New Zealand on the 8th of October, 1862, in the ship “Jura” (Captain Chalmers). He was born at Ida Valley, Otago, and on leaving school, entered the service of the New Zealand and Australian Land Company, as a bookkeeper on its Kurow estate. He was subsequently similarly employed on the same company's estates at Hakatarama, Totara, and Moeraki; and was afterwards bookkeeper for the late Mr. M. J. S. Mackenzie, on the Kyeburn station. Later on he removed to Dunedin to engage in commercial pursuits, business in St. Andrew Street. Mr. Gunn has served a term on the Albany Street school committee, on the committee of the New Zealand Natives' Association, and he is on the Executive of the local Carriers and Coal Merchants' Union of Employers. He married a daughter of an old colonist, Mr. George Caldwell, of Hampden, and has one son and one daughter.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. F. J. Gunn.
Lodge Dunedin , No. 931, English Constitution, was founded on the 22nd of December, 1862, under a warrant dated the 24th of September of the same year. Meetings have been regularly held at the Masonic Hall, Moray Place, but prior to the erection of that building they were conducted at the Commercial Hotel. The lodge holds its regular meetings on the third Tuesday of the month; and the installation of the Worshipful Master and officers is held in August. Officers for the year 1903–4: Messrs James Wallace, W.M.; F. W. M. Jones, S. W.; Walter Iles, J. W.; J. W. Johnson, Secretary; and Thomas Cole, Treasurer.
Mr. James Wallace Worshipful Master of Lodge Dunedin, No. 931, English Constitution, was born in Dunedin, and is a son of a colonist who arrived by the ship “Alpine,” in 1859. He was initiated as a Freemason in 1896, in his present lodge, and was installed as Master by Mr. T. S. Graham, R.W.D.G.M., on the 18th of August, 1903. He is a Past Grand Master in the Order of Oddfellows, Manchester Unity, and passed through the Noble Grand chair in Loyal Dunedin Lodge, in 1887.
The District Grand Lodge Of New Zealand South (Scottish Constitution) holds quarterly meetings at the Masonic Hall, Moray Place, on the last Friday in February, May, August, and November. The principal officers for 1904 are; Messrs James Gore, Right Worshipful District Grand Master; George Springer, Right Worshipful District Grand Master Depute; Alexander McLean, Right Worshipful Substitute District Grand Master; George Ritchie, Right Worshipful Senior District Grand Warden; David Cooke. Right Worshipful Junior District Grand Warden; William Jeffrey, Right Worshipful District Grand Secretary; William Arnstead, Right Worshipful District Grand Treasurer; and Theodore Arnold, Very Worshipful District Grand Chaplain.
Mr. James George , Right Worshipful District Grand Master, is referred to elsewhere as a former member of the House of Representatives.
Mr. George Springer , Right Worshipful District Grand Master Depute, Scottish Constitution, was initiated in Lodge Celtic, No. 477, Scottish Constitution, in 1888, and three years later was elected Worshipful Master, holding the office for two years. He is now an honorary life member of his lodge. In the District Grand Lodge he graduated through the various offices, and was appointed to his present position in 1902. As an Oddfellow Mr. Springer has passed through the chairs of the Pioneer Lodge, No.1, of which he is now secretary, and he is a trustee of the Grand Lodge. Independent Order of Oddfellows. Mr Springer was born in London, where he learned the trade of a builder, and in 1874 came to New Zealand by the ship “Gareloch.” He engaged in business in Dunedin, and is now a partner in the firm of Messrs Cole and Springer. Mr. Springer has served as a member of the North East Valley licensing and school committees.
Lodge Otago Kilwinning , No. 417, the oldest Lodge of the Scottish Constitution in New Zealand, was inaugurated on the 17th of June, 1861. Mr. James Mills took a very active part in its foundation. Meetings were held in the Shamrock Hotel, until a hall was erected in Princes Street, at the back of Wain's Hotel. The lodge now meets regularly at the Masonic Hall. Moray Place, Dunedin, on the second Thursday in each month, and the installation ceremony is held in December. The principal officers of the lodge for the year 1904 are: Messrs O. H. Moller, Right Worshipful Master; A. Anderson, Senior Warden; A. Flett, Junior Warden; and R. T. Wheeler, junior, Secretary.
Mr. Odin Henry Moller was installed Master of Lodge Otago Kilwinning, No. 417, Scottish Constitution, in December, 1903. He is further referred to as Vice-Consul for Denmark.
Lodge St. Andrew , No. 432, Scottish Constitution, was inaugurated in 1864, and is the second oldest lodge under the Scottish Constitution, in the province of Otago. Mr. William Caldwell, the founder of the lodge, filled the position of Right Worshipful Master for the first three years, and also for three subsequent terms. The other Past Masters have been: Messrs C. Rose, R.G. Smith, F. Beissel, E. J. Schlotel, J. Stewart, A. G. Smith, J. Golder, J. B. Finlayson, G. Kidd G. Watson, H. C. Schlaadt, S. Peden, W. Jeffrey, T. Hutchison, G. W. Harold, D. Cherrie, P. Wilson, J. Ogg, J. S. Nugent, A. Ternent, A. McFarlane, A. H. Shelton, Alex. Martin, D. McIntosh, Wm. Smith, G. Ritchie, D. Cooke, W. R. Don, and R. Frew. Meetings were originally held at the old Masonic Hall, at the back of Wain's Hotel, but the lodge now meets at the Masonic Hall, Moray Place, on the second Tuesday of the month; and the installation ceremony is held in July. The principal officers for the year 1903–4 are: Messrs W. A. Wilkinson, R.W.M.; T. M. Gillies, S.W.; D. Oleghorn, J.W.; G. Ritchie, Treasurer; and D. M. Blyth, Secretary.
Mr. William Alexander Wilkinson was initiated into Freemasonry in 1898, in his present lodge, and was installed as Right Worshipful Master in July 1903, by Mr. George Springer, R.W.D.G.M. Depute.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. W. A. Wilkinson.
He has taken the Mark and Royal Arch degres; and he is also a member of the Independent Order of Oddfellows. Mr. Wilkinson was born in Auckland, and is a son of Mr. W. Wilkinson, an old colonist, now residing in Dunedin. He came to Dunedin in 1881, and is now senior partner in the firm of Messrs Wilkinson, Callon and Co., cast steel founders, who are associated with the Otago Foundry.
Mr. George Ritchie , Past Master of Lodge St. Andrew, No. 432, Scottish Constitution, is also Treasurer of the lodge. He was initiated in Lodge St. Andrew, No. 465, Scottish Constitution (Glasgow), and affiliated with his present lodge in 1892, when he was appointed Inner Guard. After Passing through the chairs, he was elected Worshipful Master in 1898, and re-elected in the following year for a second term, being installed on each occasion by Mr. James Gore, the District Grand Master. Mr. Ritchie, who is an enthusiastic Freemason, has taken the Mark and Royal Arch degrees, and he now fills the office of Senior Warden in the District Grand Lodge of New Zealand South. He had previously been Junior Warden for two years, and for five years was District Grand Director of Ceremonies. Mr. Ritchie was born in Argyleshire, Scotland, and came out to New Zealand in 1884. He engaged in commercial pursuits, and is now the proprietor of a large hardware emporium in George Street, Dunedin. He has been Treasurer of the Dunedin Gaelic Society, and is also a member of the Caledonian Society.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. G. Ritchie.
Lodge Celtic , No. 477, Scottish Constitution, was founded in 1867, and the first meeting of the lodge, held on Thursday, 17th of October, of that year, was attended by the members and twenty-four visitors. Mr. William Barron was the first Right Worshipful Master, and with him were associated the following principal officers: Messrs H. E. Glennie, Depute Master; J. Forrester, Substitute Master; John Sibbald, S.W., John Millar, J.W.; James Mills, Treasurer; and A. R. Ure, Secretary. Up to April, 1889, meetings were held at various halls, but since that time they have been conducted regularly at the Masonic Hall, Moray Place; and at the present time are held on the third Thursday of the month. The installation ceremony takes place in November. Visiting craftsmen are invariably accorded a hearty welcome, and the lodge has always been in good working order. There are now only three foundation members surviving: Messrs W. Barron, Jas. G. McLeod, and William Hooper. On the inauguration of the Grand Lodge of New Zealand Mr. Barron obtained his clearance from his clearance from his mother constitution, became an enthusiastic worker under the New Zealand banner, and was ultimately elected to the distinguished office of Grand Master for the colony. Ledge Celtic has at present 150 members, and there is a benevolent fund for their benefit, which, despite many grants, has a credit balance of £175. The position of Right Worshipful Master is held by Mr. S. McPeak, who is ably assisted by his brother officers, Messrs P. J. Helean, W.I.P.M.; W. H. Melton, W.D.M.; R. Mackenzie, W.S.M.; T. N. Baker, W.S.W.; W. H. McLeod. W.J.W.; C. Macandrew, Treasurer; and D. Cooper, Secretary.
Mr. John Simpson McPeak , Right Worshipful Master of Lodge Celtic, No. 477, Scottish Constitution, was installed into his present office on the 19th of November, 1903, by Mr. George Springer, R.W.D.G.M. Depute. He had previously passed through all the chairs except those of Inner Guard and Chaplain. As an Oddfellow he has passed through all the chairs of the Leith Lodge, No. 4, Independent Order of Oddfellows, and since 1891 has held the office of treasurer. In January, 1900, he was presented by the members of his lodge with a gold albert, an illuminated address, and gold brooch, to mark their appreciation of his service. Mr. McPeak was born near Edinburgh, in 1866, and accompanied his parents to the colony in 1874, in the ship Parsee. On leaving school, in 1880, he was apprenticed to Messrs Scoullar and Chisholm, and, except for a short period in Australia, has remained with that firm ever since. Since 1894 he has filled the responsible position of foreman of their large works. Mr McPeak was a member of the North East Valley Borough Council for two years. His father, Mr. Charles McPeak, who is a distinguished Oddfellow, has filled the chair of Leith Lodge for three terms, and was for many years its treasurer.
Mr. Patrick Joseph Helean , Worshipful Immediate Past Master of Lodge Celtic, No. 477, Scottish Constitution, was installed in that lodge in 1895. After filling the subordinate chairs he was installed as Master in November, 1902, by Mr George Springer, R.W.D.G.M. Depute. He has taken the Mark and Royal Arch degrees, and also four allied degrees. Mr. Helean is also a member of the Order of Oddfellows. He was born in Fulham, Middlesex, England, and accompanied his parents to Lyttelton in the ship “Isles of the South,” in 1873. He completed his education at Timaru, and on leaving school went to Christchurch, and learned the trade of a tailor, under Mr. Hobbs, Mr Helean removed to Dunedin in 1883, and worked for some time for Mr. James Mowatt, and for six years was manager of the New Zealand Clothing Factory. In September, 1901, he started his present business of a merchant tailor in Stafford Street, under the style of P. J. Helean and Co. Mr. Helean married a daughter of Mr. James Thompson, of Dunedin, and has ten children.
Lodge St. John Kilwinning , No. 662, Scottish Constitution, was inaugurated in 1881, with Mr. E. J. Schlotel as its first Right Worshipful Grand Master. The following gentlemen have since occupied this position in the lodge: Messrs George W. Williams, James Farquharson, James Allan. F. Smith (senior), T. S. Jeffery, S. S. Myers, James Brown, James Spence, Theodore Arnold, G. Wilson, A. McLean, W. Arnstead, D. S. Munroe, W. J. Strong, and J. Abbott. Mr W. B. Anderson is present Immediate Past Master. The lodge holds its regular meetings at 8 p.m. in the Public Hall, North East Valley, on the fourth Thursday in each month, and the installation is held in the month of January. For the year 1904 the principal officers are: Messrs John Campbell, R.W.M.; B. Hadfield, S.W.; W. Brough, J.W.; and D. Munro, Secretary.
Mr. John Campbell , Right Worshipful Master of Lodge St. John Kilwinning, No. 662, Scottish Constitution, was installed in office on the 28th of January, 1904, by Mr. G. Springer, R.W.D.G.M. Depute. He is also a member of the Order of Foresters. Mr. Campbell was born in Dunedin, and is a son of Mr. Malcolm Campbell, who arrived in Otago by the ship “Robert Henderson,” in 1859. He has engaged in various pursuits, and for sixteen years was connected with the dairy industry, and was president of the Dunedin and Suburban Dairy Association for the first two years of its existence. Mr. Campbell was a member of the North East Valley Borough Council for nearly twelve years, and during that period he occupied the mayoral chair for a term.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. J. Campbell.
Lodge St. Patrick , No. 468, Irish Constitution, sprang from what remained of the late Lodge Shamrock, No. 448, Irish Constitution, and is now the only lodge working under the Irish Constitution in Dunedin. It was founded in 1881, with Mr. T. S. Graham, District Grand Master, English Constitution, as its first Worshipful Master. Meetings are held in the Masonic Hall, Moray Place, on the fourth Wednesday of every month, and the installation ceremony takes place on St. John's Day. The principal officers are: Messrs Geo. T. Race, Worshipful Master; H. W. Pascoe, Senior Warden; A. E. Usherwood, Junior Warden; C. D. Dickenson (Past Master), Treasurer; and C. E. Thomson (Past Master), Secretary.
Mr. George T. Race , Worshipful Master of Lodge St. Patrick, first joined the Order in 1896, and was installed Worshipful Master on the 24th of June, 1902, by Mr. T. S. Graham, Right Worshipful Deputy Grand Master, English Constitution. On the 24th of June, 1903, Mr. J. J. Leigh, Senior Warden, was installed as Worshipful Master, but he died soon afterwards, and Mr. Race became Worshipful Master for a second term, and is at present (1904) P.G.J.D. of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Ireland. Mr Race was born in the North of England, and came to New Zealand with his parents in 1879, by the ship “Timaru.” He was educated at the district High School, Milton, learned the trade of a baker and pastry cook, and commenced business in Caversham, where he served as a member of the Borough Council. He is at present (1904) Senior Chief Ranger of Court Pride of the Leith, Ancient Order of Foresters, and is a member of the Caledonian Bowling Club, and of the Dunedin Fanciers' Club. Mr. Race married a daughter of Mr. P. D. Pollock, one of Dunedin's early settlers, and has three children.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. G. T. Race.
New Zealand Constitution.
The Grand Lodge Of New Zealand holds its annual communications in the month of May. Principal officers for 1903–4:—Messrs Herbert J. Williams, Most Worshipful Grand Master; Alfred Bartlett, Right Worshipful Deputy Grand Master; T. J. Withers, Right Worshipful Senior Grand Warden; William Waddell, Right Worshipful Junior Grand Warden; R. O. Hamerton, President of the Board of General Purposes; H. J. Freeman, President of the Board of Benevolence; Malcolm Niccol, Most Worshipful Grand Secretary. The office of the Grand Lodge is in Johnston Street, Wellington. The Board of General Purposes meets on the fourth Thursday of the month, and the Board of Benevolence when occasion requires. Mr. John Marshall Brown is Grand Superintendent of the Otago district.
The Lodge Of Otago , No. 7, can in a sense trace itself back to 1860, the year of the foundation of No. 844, E.C. When the Grand Lodge of New Zealand was founded in 1890, the Worshipful Master, officers and brethren, attending a meeting duly called for the purpose, unanimously transferred their allegiance to the new Grand Lodge. Other members, however, who did not attend the meeting, including the District Grand Master of the English Constitution himself, determined to carry on the English Lodge, although the Warrant of Charter was held by those that were now transferred to New Zealand, and on their application the Grand Lodge of England granted them a Warrant of Confirmation, thus legalising their action. A good deal of controversy ensued for some years, but in the end the two lodges, being duly recognised as regular by their respective Grand Lodges, determined to accept the accomplished fact, to sink all questions of rights or wrongs, and fraternise as two distinct lodges sprung from the one original source. This agreement being happily effected, Lodge No. 7 voluntarily presented Lodge 844, E.C., with the original Warrant. The Worshipful Master at the time of the transfer was Mr. A. J. Barth, and the first elected under the Grand Lodge of New Zealand, Mr. Charles J. Ronaldson. The lodge holds its meetings in the Masonic Hall, Moray Place, on the second Wednesday in each month, and the installation takes place in October. The principal officers for the year 1903–4 are:Messrs C. E. George, Worshipful Master; J. Quaile, Senior Warden; G. L. Stewart, Junior Warden; and Maitland Gard'ner, Secretary.
Mr. Charles Edward George , Worshipful Master of Lodge Otago, No. 7, was installed in office in October, 1903. He is also a Past Master of Lodge Maori, No. 105, New Zealand Constitution. Mr. George is a partner in the firm of Messrs Foster and George, of Dunedin.
Lodge Hiram , No. 46, New Zealand Constitution, (South Dunedin), meets regularly at the Masonic Hall, Cargill Road, on the fourth Tuesday of the month, and the installation ceremony is held in October. The principal officers for the year 1903–4 are:Messrs D. Porter, Worshipful Master; J. Wilson, Senior Warden; H. Jacobs, Junior Warden; and J. T. Laing, Secretary.
Mr. David Porter , Worshipful Master of Lodge Hiram, who was initiated in this lodge, was installed in his present office in October, 1903, by Mr. J. M. Brown, Grand Superintendent of Otago. Mr. Porter has also taken the Mark degree.
Lodge Maori , No. 105, New Zealand Constitution, is one of the younger lodges of this constitution, and was founded at Ravensbourne in 1896. Mr. T. Ross was the first Worshipful Master, and his successors in the chair have been: Messrs S. T. Bolton, John Harold, C. E. George, George Grant, H. E. Moller, and E. Tomkinson. Meetings are held in the Public Hall, Ravensbourne, page 199 on the first Monday of the month, and the installation ceremony is held in the month of March. Officers for the year 1903–4 are: Messrs James Wilson, W.M.; David Larnach, S.W.; Arthur Harrop, J.W.; and T. Ross, Secretary.
Mr. James Wilson , Worshipful Master of Lodge Maori, No. 105, New Zealand Constitution, was initiated into Freemasonry in 1899, in his present lodge. After passing through the subordinate chairs he was installed in his present office in March, 1903, by Mr. J. M. Brown, District Grand Superintendent of Otago, New Zealand Constitution. Mr. Wilson is also a member of the Independent Order of Oddfellows. He was born in Glasgow, and came to New Zealand with his parents in 1871 by the ship “Christian McCausland.” He learned the trade of a plumber, and is now established in business in the Octagon, Dunedin. Mr Wilson married a daughter of Mr. David Coutts, an old settler at Blue Spur, and has six children. He is mentioned in another section of this volume as a member of the North East Valley Borough Council.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. J. Wilson.
The Dunedin District, Manchester Unity Independent Order Of Oddfellows , was founded in 1848, although it was 1857 before it was created a distinct district, and was allied to the Wellington district till that date. Meetings of the district committee are held half-yearly, at a place selected at each meeting. These meetings are composed of seventy-three delegates appointed by the thirty lodges of the district. The lodges have 3,600 members, and representation is in accordance with the number of members good on the books. The Provincial Grand Master, Provincial Deputy Grand Master, Corresponding Secretary, the last Past Provincial Grand Master, and the District Treasurer are elected annually in March, and form the committee of management for the district, meeting every alternate Tuesday, at the District Chambers, Oddfellows' Hall, Stuart Street, Dunedin. The present officers are: Provincial Grand Master, Mr. John Wilson; District Past Grand Master, Mr. J. A. Hoperaft; Provincial Treasurer, Mr. J. Robin; Provincial Past Grand Master, Mr. A. Cable.
The Grand Lodge Of The Independent Order Of Oddfellows Of New Zealand , co-equal with similar Grand Lodges in all Australasian colonies, Europe and United States of America, to which the Sovereign Grand Lodge of America is supreme, is the governing body of its Order in New Zealand, and was established in 1862. Its registered office is Rattray Street, Dunedin. The Grand Lodge has numerous branches under its jurisdiction, all over the colony, which for purposes of representation is cut up into eight electoral districts. Sessions attended by representatives from electoral districts for legislative purposes are held biennially in different centres. The Order bears the palm as being one of the soundest institutions in Australasia, actuarial investigations showing substantial surpluses. Its membership is about 1,330,000. The officers for 1903–5 are: Grand Master, Mr. A. Small; Deputy Grand Master, Mr D. M. Miller; Grand Warden, Mr T. Crawley; Grand Secretary, Mr. William Reid; Grand Treasurer, Mr. J. S. Alexander.
Mr. Alexander Small , Grand Master of the Independent Order of Oddfellows in New Zealand, was born in the year 1855, at Grahamston Stirlingshire, Scotland. His father was an engineer and blacksmith. In the latter part of 1855 the family emigrated to Victoria, Australia, and remained there five years. They then returned to Scotland, where they remained nine months, and then left for Dunedin, New Zealand. In the early part of 1862, the family settled at Otaki, where Mr. Small has resided ever since. He was educated at the Otaki Maori College. In 1888 he joined the Independent Order of Oddfellows as one of the charter members of Otaki Lodge, No. 50. He passed through the chairs in 1890, became a Past Grand in 1891; was appointed District Deputy Grand Master for Wellington Central in 1892, and as such attended the Wellington Grand Lodge session of 1893; was elected a representative for Wellington South, and attended the Grand Lodge session held in Dunedin in 1895. He was there appointed Grand Chaplain, (still holding the position of D.D.G.M. for Wellington Central), and as such he attended the session held in Palmerston North in 1897. Mr. Small was out of office for two years, and then he was elected representative for Wellington North in 1899, when he attended the Temuka session, where he was elected Grand Warden, and became one of the Executive. In 1901 he was elected Deputy Grand Master at the Invercargill session, and Grand Master at the Auckland session of 1903. Mr. Small was a warden of Otaki and Te Horo Road Boards for three years, and for nine years chairman of the Te Horo Road Board. He was elected to the Horowhenua Council in 1885, and held office for two terms—six years—during one of which he was elected chairman. He was also a member of the Horowhenua Licensing Bench under the old Act for three years, during which he occupied the chair. Mr. Small has also been secretary and chairman of the Otaki school committee, and was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1888. He is a member of the Church of England, and is a farmer by occupation.
Mr. A. Small.
Mr. David McPherson Miller , Deputy Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of the Independent Order of Oddfellows, joined the Order in June, 1883, as a member of Leith Lodge. In 1885 he was elected to the chair of Noble Grand, the highest position in the power of the lodge to bestow. In January, 1886, he became a Past Grand, his name being placed on the merit board. In May of that year he was elected secretary of his lodge, a position he holds to the present day (probably a record). In March, 1891, he was elected by the South Otago district to represent it in the Grand Lodge. He attended the Christchurch session held that year, and was appointed Grand Guardian. In 1892 he took an active part in the reorganisation of the Encampment branch of the Order, and was elected Scribe; an office which he held over three years. In 1893 he was reelected as a representative of South Otago district in the Grand Lodge, and attended that year a session held in Wellington. In 1894 he was elected Degree Master page 200 for Dunedin city lodges. In 1895 he took an active part in assisting to re-establish the Rebekah branch of the Order as a benefit institution for women. In this year he was again re-elected a representative of South Otago district, and attended the Grand Lodge session at Dunedin, and was thereat re-appointed Grand Guardian, and the district presented him with a Past Officers' Jewel. In 1896 he became Chief Patriarch of Phoenix Encampment, and entitled to wear the combined scarlet and royal purple regalia. During this year he married Miss Mary Sparrow, and was presented by his lodge with a wedding gift. In 1897 he declined Grand Lodge office, but was nominated as District Deputy Grand Master, a position not confirmed by the Grand Master, there being a delicacy in respect to the holding of dual offices. In 1899 he led the competing team of his own lodge against other lodges, presenting a fine display of floor work and ritual. In this he was ably assisted by his wife, who fitted the team with a most complete set of regalia, and a presentation followed. In 1901, having declined Grand Lodge office for four years, he was again elected to represent the South Otago district in the Grand Lodge, attended the Invercargill Session of that year, and was elected Grand Warden, and became one of the Executive. In 1903 he attended the Auckland Session as Grand Warden, and was elected Deputy Grand Master. Mrs Miller also takes an active part in lodge work, and occupies the chair of Ruth, Rebekah Lodge. Mr. Miller's parents came from Edinburgh, and were married in Dunedin; and he, the eldest son, was born on the 9th of January, 1865, and was educated at the public schools of the city. He was apprenticed to the grocery trade, spending a good many years with his father, and afterwards with Messrs Campbell and Livingstone. In 1889 he commenced business on his own account. As an organist and choirmaster Mr. Miller was well known, having been connected, in that capacity, with several of the city churches, and was also for a good many years organist for the Patients' and Prisoners' Aid Society. He was brought up a Presbyterian, but is now a member of the Methodist Church. Mr. Miller is a prominent Freemason and a Past Master of Lodge Celtic, No. 477, S.C., and is at present President of the Otago United Friendly Societies' Council.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. D. M. Miller.
Mr. William Reid , Grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge, Independent Order of Oddfellows of New Zealand, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1845. He was educated at the Glasgow Collegiate school, and came to Port Chalmers in the ship “Arima,” of which he was purser. After a year in the office of Messrs. Cargill and Co., he entered the service of Messrs Mills, Dick and Co., and subsequently formed one of the party who published the “Otago Daily News” on co-operative principles. Returning to Messrs. Mills, Dick and Co., he continued with them till establishing business on his own account as a land agent. In 1877 he was elected to the important office he still holds under the Grand Lodge. Mr. Reid was married in 1872 to a daughter of Mr. Charles Reid, one of the earliest settlers, and has two sons and four daughters. He is further referred to in another part of this volume as an accountant, land and estate agent.
Mr. W. Reid.
The Ancient Order Of Foresters was established in Otago in 1860, with Court Pride of Dunedin as its first court. Courts were soon opened in other parts of the district, and in 1863 the various bodies were united for purposes of government. There are now (1904) twenty-six courts in the province, with a large and increasing membership. The finances of the body are in good condition, and a large sum is distributed annually in the shape of sick and funeral benefits.
The United District Of The Ancient Order Of Foresters was instituted in 1863, as a central governing body for the various courts throughout the province. It is composed of representatives sent by the provincial courts, and there are about fifty delegates for the year 1903–4. The delegates meet annually for the election of the District Executive, and the final authorisation of business presented by that body for the previous year. The Executive, which consists of six members, meets monthly—and more frequently if occasion demands—for the discussion of business tendered by the courts. The members of Executive for the year 1903–4 are: Mr. Alexander Swanson, District Chief Ranger; Mr. William Black, Immediate Past District Chief Ranger; Mr. John Hope, District Treasurer; Mr. W. A. Young, District Beadle; and Mr. James Macfie, District Secretary.
Mr. William Black , Immediate Past District Chief Ranger for the year 1903–4, joined Court Pride of the Leith in 1894, and, after passing through all the offices in his court, was, in 1900, elected District Beadle. In 1901 he was elected District Sub-Chief Ranger, in 1902 District Chief Ranger, and in 1903 he assumed his present office. Mr. Black was born in Dunedin in November, 1875, and is a son of a miner who arrived in Otago at the opening up of the goldfields.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. W. Black.
He was educated at the George Street public school, and when fifteen years of age was apprenticed to the grocery trade. He subsequently “became manager in the grocery department of Messrs R. and J. McFarlane's Princes Street shop. In October, 1902, he was engaged to manager the grocery department of the Mutual Co-operative Stores, which were then being established in Maclaggan Street. Mr. Black is President for the year 1903–4 of the Otago Grocers' Assistants' Industrial Union of Workers, and is an active member of the various athletic bodies connected with the trade. He was the first treasurer of the Dunedin Friendly Societies' Council, and has always taken a keen interest in matters of a social nature. Mr. Black was married in January, 1902, to Miss Annie C. Mason, at that time Past Chief Ranger of Court Woodland's Pride, and has one daughter.
Mr. James Macfie , District Secretary to the United Otago District of the Ancient Order of Foresters, joined Court Pride of the Leith, No. 3992, in 1870, and in the following year was made secretary of his court. In 1874–5 he filled the office of District Chief Ranger to the United Otago District; three years later he was elected Treasurer to the same body, and in 1903 he succeeded to his present position. Mr. Macfie was born in Rothesay, Isle of Bute, Scotland, in 1848, and was brought up as a gardener. He arrived in Dunedin by the ship “Silistria,' in 1867, and after following his trade for some time he commenced business as a coal merchant, thus laying the foundation of the present firm of Messrs Macfie and Co., of which he is general manager. Mr. Macfie was the founder of the Dunedin United Friendly Societies' Dispensary, which has become one of the most popular and prosperous pharmacies in Dunedin.
The District Grand Lodge Of Otago And Southland Of The United Ancient Order Of Druids was founded in 1897, and is the governing body of the Order for Otago and Southland. Its establishment gave a great impetus to the Order, which during the past six years has doubled its membership. The District Grand Lodge consists of about twenty-four representatives, and from these are constituted the Board of Management and the Executive. The registered office of the Order is at Bond Street, Dunedin. Monthly meetings of the Board are held there for business purposes, and in February the annual meeting of the whole body for the election of officers is held. The present officers are: D.G. President, Mr. William Hopkins; D.G. Vice-President, Mr. E. Kellet; D.G. Secretary, Mr. David Larnach; D.G. Treasurer, Mr. W. O. Evans; and D.G. Guardian, Mr. E. J. Bryant.
Mr. David Larnach , J.P., District Grand Secretary for the District Grand Lodge of Otago and Southland, has been connected with the United Ancient Order of Druids since 1883. He first joined on the opening of the West Harbour Lodge, of which he was appointed secretary, and still holds that position. Mr. Larnach became a member of the District Grand Lodge on its foundation, in 1897; in 1899 he was elected to the Executive, and became Grand Secretary the same year. Mr. Larnach was born in Arbroath, Scotland, in 1852, educated at Mr. Walker's school in his native town, and afterwards apprenticed to the wholesale and retail provision, wine and spirit business, in connection with which he was engaged for some years at Arbroath, and latterly at Dundee, as representing Mr. John Clash. He arrived in Dunedin, in 1878, by the ship “Canterbury,” and after being for several years engaged in commercial life in Dunedin and Wellington, was appointed town clerk of West Harbour in 1888. In 1899 he resigned that post, and for several months was manager, in Dunedin for Messrs Sievwright Brothers, and then entered business on his own account as a sharebroker, accountant, land estate and commission agent As a Freemason, Mr. Larnach is connected with Lodge Maori, No. 105, New Zealand Constitution, of which he is Senior Warden, and Worshipful Master Elect. He represents the Druids on the Otago and Southland Friendly Societies' Council, is a member of the West Harbour Borough Council, was secretary of the West Harbour regatta committee for many years, is secretary to the Dunedin Horticultural Society, returning officer to the Harbour Board for the boroughs of North East Valley, and West Harbour, and holds a large number of commercial appointments. In 1892 Mr. Larnach was appointed deputy returning officer at the general election and local option poll, and in the following year was deputy returning officer for the election of the licensing committee. He was married, in 1880, to Miss I. S. Taylor, and has two sons and five daughters.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo. Mr. D. Larnach.
The Ivanhoe Lodge Of Druids , No. 113, was established in 1880, by Messrs Alexander McLennan, J. G. Clark, Patrick Carroll, W. Jones, W. Bethune, S. E. Brooks, and others. In 1881 the Gladstone Lodge, No. 115, which had been established in 1880, was amalgamated with Ivanhoe Lodge. The benefit side of this lodge is well worthy of note. The accumulated funds are £2,004; the subscription per week is about Is, and the benefit in case of disablement is £1 per week for the first six months, 10s. per week for the next six months, and 5s per week till convalescent. In the case of the death of a male member £20 is paid to his widow, and in the case of the death of the latter £10 is paid, if registration has been effected previously. The membership of the lodge is 210. Meetings are held fortnightly for business purposes, and half-yearly for the election of officers. Officers elected in November, 1903: Arch Druid, Mr. Robert Bruce; Vice-Arch, Mr. A. D. Thomson; Secretary, Mr. E. A. Gibson; Treasurer, Mr. G. F. Hutchinson.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo. Mr. R. Bruce.
Mr. E. A. Gibson , Secretary to the Ivanhoe Lodge, No. 113, joined the Order in 1899, when he became a member of his present lodge. He was elected secretary in October, 1900. Mr. Gibson was born in Barbadoes. West Indies, in November, 1865, and attended the Church of England school till he was fourteen years of age. He then entered upon a seafaring life as a steward. and after serving some time in trading vessels, in the Atlantic and the Mediterranean, he sailed in the ship “Sabraun” for Australia, where he arrived in 1880. He was subsequently employed in the Huddart, Parker and Howard Smith Steam Ship Companies, and in 1883 joined the Union Steamship Company, in whose service, four years later, he became chief steward on the “Mahinapua,” then trading round the New Zealand coast. In 1891 Mr. Gibson resigned, and after engaging in various commercial pursuits he established his present business as a bootmaker in Great King Street. As a Freemason, Mr. Gibson is a member of Lodge St, Andrew, 432, S.O. He takes a keen interest in music, is a member of the Choral Society, and for five years has been a member of All Saints' choir.
Wrigglesworth and Binus, photo, Mr E. A. Gibson.
The Grand Orange Lodge Of New Zealand , Middle Island. This lodge was established in 1863, and is the governing body of the Orange Institution of the Middle Island of New Zealand. It possesses the supreme authority, alone can enact, alter, or repeal the laws and regulations of the institution, and has control also over many other matters of minor importance with the subordinate lodges and individual members. The Grand Lodge is composed of the Grand Master, the Deputy Grand Master, the Grand Secretary, Grand Chaplains (not exceeding six), Deputy Grand Secretaries, Grand Treasurers, Deputy Grand Treasurers, two Grand Auditors, the Grand Committee, all Past Grand Masters, the Masters, the Deputy Masters, Secretaries, and Treasurers of the District Lodges; Masters and Secretaries of private ledges; proxies appointed by West Coast and Nelson Lodges, and the brethren appointed as Grand Lodge Instructors to the lodges for women. The Grand Lodge meets annually, in the month of December, at one or other of the centres in the Island, and other meetings of the body are arranged as occasion requires. The Executive holds periodical meetings for the discussion of matters of importance to the institutions, and special meetings of this body frequently take place. The officers elected in December, 1903, were: Grand Master, Mr. J. Middleton; Grand Secretary, Mr. Thomas Brown. The Immediate Past Grand Master is Mr. J. M. Innes.
Mr. John Morrison Innes , Immediate Past Grand Master of the Grand Lodge for the Middle Island, of the Orange Institution, has been connected with the Order for several years. In 1900 he became a member of Lodge No. 21, No Surrender, and shortly afterwards was made assistant secretary of that body. In 1902 he was elected Grand Master of the Grand Lodge, and in the following year succeeded to his present office. Mr. Innes was born at Royndie, Banffshire, Scotland, in 1849, and was educated at public schools there. He was subsequently apprenticed to the tailoring trade at the village of Cornhill in his native shire, and, on attaining his majority, in 1870, he sailed for New Zealand, thinking thereby to improve his commercial position. Since his arrival in the colony, Mr. Innes has resided constantly in Otago, and stuck to his original trade till 1903, when he established a temperance hotel, known as Innes' Private Hotel, at 51 George Street, Dunedin. Mr. Innes was for some time a member of the Clutha licensing committee, of the Tapanui Borough Council, and of the Clinton Town Board. In connection with social reform and temperance work, he is known throughout the province as a platform speaker of considerable power.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo. Mr. J. M. Innes
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo. Mr. T. Brown.
The Protestant Alliance Friendly Society Of Australasia , New Zealand Constitution, was established in the early eighties. It is a social organisation, its objects being the protection of Protestant principles and the payment of benefits to members. The Alliance has a governing body known as the Grand Lodge, and there are numerous subordinate lodges. The first lodge established in Dunedin was Lodge Valley True Blue, No. 11.
Lodge Valley True Blue , No. 11, was established in 1883 by Messrs Walker, Binnie, Henderson, and others. It now possesses about sixty members, and is steadily increasing. The lodge meets fortnightly for business purposes, and annually for the election of officers, the meetings being held in the Oddfellows' Hall, Albany Street. Officers for the year 1904: Worshipful Master, Mr. Charles E. Taylor; Deputy Master, Mr. Thomas Brown; Secretary, Mr. John Jardine; Treasurer, Mr. E-. A. Finder.
Mr. John Jardine , Secretary to Lodge Valley True Blue, No. 11, joined that lodge in 1889, and became secretary in 1895. Mr. Jardiue was born in Alloa, Clackmansanshire, Scotland, in 1854, and immediately on leaving- school entered upon a seafaring life. For twelve years he was employed on board trading vessels, and during that time he traversed every sea, and visited almost every important port in the world. In 2880 he arrived in Port Chalmers. For two years subsequently he was engaged trading round the New Zealand coast, and to the South Seas, and in 1882 he joined the Railway Department in Oamaru. After holding 'the positions of porter and shunter at Oamaru and Dunedin, he became signalman at the latter centre. Mr, Jardine has for several years been secretary to the Otago Branch of the Amalgamated Society of Railway Servants.