The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
The Board of Governors of the Otago Boys' and Girls' High Schools has its office in the Education Board's offices. Jetty Street, Dunedin. The members of the Board are; Mr J. R. Sinclair (chairman), Dr. Shand, Rev. P. B. Fraser, Rev. C. Cameron, Mr. T. Mackenzie. M.H.R., and the Mayor of Dunedin. Mr. C, Macandrew is secretary.
Dr. William Brown . M.A., for several years Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Boys' and Girls' High Schools, and sometime chairman of the Education Board, was a prominent medical man in Dunedin for nearly thirty years. He was born in 1845, in Banffshire, Scotland, and was educated at the Gymnasium of old Aberdeen and at the University of Aberdeen and Edinburgh; he graduated M.A., at the former in 1867, and M.B. and C.M. at the latter in 1870. Before coming to New Zealand, Dr. Brown was engaged in the practice of his profession in China for three years. He established his practice in Dunedin in 1874; became an honorary surgeon of the Dunedin Hospital in 1875, and was for some years lecturer on surgery in the University of Otago. Dr. Brown has long taken a general interest in out-door recreation and at the time of the New Zealand and South Seas Exhibition he was president of the New Zealand Amateur Athletic Association, and became captain of the Otago golf club. He was married, in 1871, to a daughter of Mr. John Johnston, of Edinburgh, and had one dauthter, who died in childhood. In the latter part of 1903 Dr. Brown left Dunedin to settle at Tauranga, in the province of Auckland. Before his departure he was accorded a public farewell, and was presented with valuable mementoes to express and commemorate Dunedin's admirtion for his personal character, and gratitud for his public services.
Dr. W. Brown.
The Dunedin Boys' High School of to-day has been evolved from the struggles of the early settlers. who realised the advantages to be secured by a thorough system of secondary education. In the first session of the provincial council of Otago, the late Mr. James Macandrew made a proposal to establish a high school in Dunedin, and in 1856 provision was made for the foundation of page 158 such a school to be named the High School of Dunedin. At first, however, the school was little more than a superior, primary school. Accordingly, in December, 1860, Mr. Macandrew and his colleagues brought in a Bill to make thorough provision for a proper high school. This measure became law in 1861, when the High School of Otago was constituted for the instruction of girls as well as boys. In 1862 and 1864, further educational ordinances were passed, under which the school was administered till the General Assembly passed the “Otago Boys' and Girls' High School Act.” The Otago Boys' High School, which was first opened in 1863 in the buildings since occupied by the Girls' High School, is now conducted in a very fine stone structure erected in the year 1884. This building occupies one of the best sites in the city, facing Arthur Street, and is one of the handsomest and most convenient of its kind in the colony. It has two commanding towers; the main at the front, and the lesser at the rear of the building. The main hall, a spacious apartment, is entered by a centre door, which is faced by two brass plates, one of which is in memory of the late Rev. D. M. Stuart, D. D., who was for fourteen years chairman of the Board of Governors of the Boys' and Girls' High School, and who died in 1894; the other contains the names of the rectors of the school from its foundation. The first on the list is the name of Mr. T. H. Campbell, M. A., who was drowned, together with his family, in coming up the harbour from Port Chalmers in 1863, before he had taken charge of the school. The other names, together with the terms during which their owners had charge of the school, are as follows: F. C. Simmonds M.A., 1864–1868, S. Hawthorne, M.A., 1869–1874, W. Norrie, M.A., 1875–1878, W. Macdonald, LL.D., 1878–1885, and H. Belcher, LL.D., 1886–1895. The main hall of the building is entered by folding doors; and has a large gallery entirely surrounding it capable of accommodating six or seven hundred people. It is used for the purpose of any general gathering of the pupils, and for devotions. There are five doors connecting the hall with other parts of the building, so as to afford easy egress and ingress. In the centre there is a large and convenient platform, with reading desk. Surrounding this handsome hall, which is adorned with very beautiful pictures of old architecture, there are ten classrooms on the ground floor. At one end of the gallery a room is devoted to drawing, and at the other end there are two class-rooms, one of which is used as a chemistry lecture-room, and is well appointed for the purpose. The view of the city and harbour from the main tower is very fine and extensive, and includes the St. Clair and Ocean beaches. The school has a wide play-ground, with two fives-courts and three large covered sheds for recreation during wet weather. There is also a very large gymnasium with a wooden floor modelled on the plan of the well known gymnasium at Aldershot. The rector's house adjoins the school. The cricket ground has been levelled and laid off by subscriptions from the boys, their parents and friends, and from the proceeds of gymnastic entertainments given by the scholars. The staff of the Boys' High School consists of Mr. Alexander Wilson, M.A., rector; Mr. M. Watson, M.A., classical master; Mr. F. H. Campbell, M.A., English master; Mr. J. S. S. Cooper, M.A., mathematical and science master; Mr R. T. Wood, B.A., assistant mathematical and science master; Mr J. Macpherson, commercial master; Mr. D. Sheriff, mechanical drawing-master; Mr. J. Reid, B.A., and Mr. J. G. Fullarton are assistant-masters, and Mr. J. Hanna is instructor in gymnastics.
Mr. Alexander Wilson , M.A., Headmaster of the Otago Boys' High School, was born near Inverness, Scotland, in 1849, and was educated at the Grammar School and the University of Aberdeen, where he graduated M.A. in 1869. He afterwards spent a year in Germany, and in 1875 he came to New Zealand. For about ten years Mr. Wilson was English master at the Otago Boys' High School, and later on he became headmaster of the Otago Girls' High School, which position he retained till 1895, when he received his present appointment. Mr. Wilson is President of the Dunedin Shakespeare Club, and author of a book entitled “Short Studies in Shakespeare.”
Mr. Mungo Watson , M.A., Classical Master of the Boys' High School, was Acting-Rector while Mr. Wilson was absent on a visit to England. He was born in 1857 in Ayrshire, Scotland, and was educated at Ayr Academy, and at Edinburgh University, where he graduated M.A. in 1879, taking first class honours in classies; he also took the Gray scholarship in the same year. He commenced his career as a teacher as assistant classical master first in Ayr Academy and subsequently at Glasgow Academy, in each of which he remained for about eighteen months. Mr. Watson was engaged in Scotland, owing to the ill-health of the then rector, Dr. Macdonald, and came out to New Zealand as assistant-rector to page 159 the Boys' High School. He arrived in Dunedin via Melbourne in 1883, since which he has been a prominent member of the school staff, having performed the duties of classical master from the first. Mr. Watson was married in 1887 to a daughter of Mr. Bowler, runholder, of Balclutha, and has two sons and one daughter.
Mr. M. Watson.
Mr. Frank Campbell , M.A., English Master at the Otago Boys' High School, is the second son of the late Mr. George Campbell, of Dunedin. He was born in Dunedin, and was educated at the Boys' High School and Otago University, where he graduated B.A. and M.A. with honours in Latin and German. On leaving the University he was appointed an assistant master at the Boys' High School. Mr. Campbell has long taken a keen interest in athletics, and is a member of the committee of management of the Otago Rugby Football Union and of the match committee. He married a daughter of the late Mr. Alexander Montgomery, formerly headmaster of the Normal School. On Mr. T. D. Pearce being appointed to the rectorship of the Southland High School at the close of 1903, Mr. Campbell became his successor as English master at the Otago Boys' High School.
Mr. John Sisson St. George Cooper , M.A., B.Sc, Chief Mathematical and Science Master at the Otago Boys' High School, is the youngest son of the late Mr. Charles Edward Cooper, for many years Collector of Customs at Timaru. He was born in Timaru in April, 1878, and educated at the Waimataitai public school, the Timaru High School, the Christchurch Boys' High School, and Canterbury College. He graduated B.A. in 1899, M.A. in 1900, with double first class honours in mathematics and electricity; and B.Sc. in 1901. Early in 1901 he succeeded Dr. Marshall as Science Master at the Auckland College and Grammar School, and in the next year he was appointed Mathematical Master at the Marlborough High School, leaving that post a few months afterwards to join the staff of the Otago Boys' High School. Mr. Cooper has lectured on wireless telegraphy and radium, in Christchurch and Dunedin, giving proof upon each occasion of considerable original research. He is a member of the New Zealand Institute, and a valuable contributor to the scientific journal conducted by that body. During the meeting of the Australasian Association for the Advancement of Sceince, held at Dunedin in January, 1904, he was associate secretary of section A.; a division of the assembly which devotes its attention to mathematics, physics, and astronomy.
Mr. Robert Taylor Wood , B.A., Assistant Science and Mathematical Master at the Otago Boys' High School, was born in Alloa, Scotland, in 1876, and is the eldest son of Mr. John Wood, the present headmaster of the Waimataitai public school, Timaru. He arrived in New Zealand in 1882, and was educated at the main public school, and the High School at Timaru, and at Heriot's College, Edinburgh, where he spent the years 1889–91. On returning to the colony in 1891, Mr. Wood entered the teaching profession; for several years he was an assistant master in the Timaru public schools, and afterwards second assistant master in the Timaru High School before being appointed to his present post in January, 1903. He has studied law for several years, and had passed the two first sections of his LL.B. degree before the end of 1903. Mr. Wood was for some years first lieutenant of the Timaru Rifles, and is at present (January, 1904) captain of the No. 2 Company of the Dunedin High School Cadets. He was at one time a member of the Timaru Orchestral Society.
Mr. John Macpherson , F.E.I.S., Commercial Master at the Otago Boys' High School, was born in Argyleshire, Scotland, in 1851. He received his education at the parochial school, Edinburgh Training College, and Glasgow University, and was elected a fellow of the Educational Institute of Scotland in 1885. In 1872, Mr. Macpherson received a teacher's certificate from the education department, and was senior assistant master at the Renfrew grammar school. Subsquently he became head-master of the Bothwell public school, near Glasgow, where he remained for five years, and came to Port Chalmers in 1885 by the s.s. “Mararoa,” via Hobart. Mr. Macpherson is a member of the Otago golf club and of the Otago club. He was married in 1891 to a daughter of the late Mr. Kenneth Gunn, of Melbourne, and has one son and one daughter.
Mr. J. Macpherson.
Mr. John Reid , B. A., who was appointed Assistant Master of the Otago Boys' High School in June, 1903, was born in County Antrim, Ireland, in 1876. He arrived in New Zealand at the age of five, was educated at public schools, and graduated B. A. in 1896. For several years he was assistant master at the Kaitangata public school, afterwards at the Union Street public school, Dunedin, and later on he became headmaster of the Dunedin school, but resigned to take up his present appointment. Mr. Reid is superintendent of St. Andrew's Sunday school. He is a member of the board of management of the Young Men's Christian Association, and takes an interest in missionary work.
Mr. John George Fullarton , B. A., who was appointed Assistant Master at the Otago Boys' High School in July, 1903, was born near Riverton, Southland, in 1869. He was educated at the Southland Boys' High School, and the Otago Boys' High School, and while headmaster of the Otama school, several years later, graduated B. A. Mr. Fullarton entered the teaching profession in 1889, and since that date has been stationed in various parts of Otago, except for about twelve months, during which he was second assistant at the Riverton District High School.
Mr. John Hanna , Gymnastic Instructor at the Boys and Girls' High Schools, and to the Otago Education Board, was born in County Down, Ireland, in 1857. He was trained professionally as a gymnastic master at Aldershot; having enlisted in the Scots Guards in 1878, he served two years at Chelsea and six months at Aldershot, where he obtained a first-class certificate for fencing, boxing, and gymnastics. Mr. Hanna was then appointed instructor at the Chelsea Gymnasium, and subsequently instructor to the Aberdeen Grammar School, Church of Scotland Trainning College, and Aberdeen Gymnastic Club–a position which he held for over two years. Mr. Hanna was the successful applicant for the appointment of instructor for Dunedin, and came out to the Colony by the s. s. “Tongariro” in 1884. Since then he has been most successful in his duties and in training many proficient gymnasts, and has had no accident with any of his pupils. Mr. Hanna has been prominently connected with various local sports and gymnastic performances, and has often given entertainments in aid of local and charitable objects. He has also been a teacher of swimming at the Girls' High School, and most of the gymnasiums in connection with the public schools have been erected under his direction. The gymnasium at the Boys' High School is one of the best in the Colony; the horizontal bar is sixty feet long, and thirty pupils at a time are able to exercise upon it. Mr. Hanna started the cadet corps at the school, and it has been a great success. He was married in 1881 to Miss Pyne, of Devonshire, and has four sons and four daughters.
The Rectory (Boys' High School Boarding-house), is erected on an elevated plateau about three or four acres in extent, and is pleasantly surrounded by gardens, ornamental grounds, and pretty patches of native bush. It is a large building erected in brick, stone, and wood, and contains, in addition to a very convenient suite of rooms for the manager, a large dining-hall about 39 × 18, with kitchen, scullery, and different out-offices. There are three dormitories on the ground floor together with a convenient bathroom, and six dormitories with three bathrooms on the upper floor, there being altogether accommodation for about forty boys. There is a large school-room which is used for preparation study in the evenings, and in the day time as a preparatory school conducted by Mr. M. Watson, M. A., who is manager of the “Rectory.”
Mr. Thomas Southey Baker , B. A., formerly Manager of the Boarding-house, Otago Boys' High School, was born at Droxford, Hampshire, England, in 1848. He was educated at Lancing College, Sussex, and at Queen's College, Oxford. Mr. Baker took his B. A. degree in 1871. He was an assistant master for a short time at the Whitgift school, Croydon, but resigned the position for a travelling tutorship. In 1873 he embarked for the colonies by the ship “Dallam Tower,” which was totally dismasted on the voyage. Mr. Baker came out with the intention of engaging in the flax industry, but on arrival in Auckland found this in such an unsatisfactory state that he decided to have nothing to do with it, and removed to Canterbury, where he took the property known as “French Farm” at Akaroa, and established a private preparatory school, which he conducted, as well as working the farm, till 1890. Mr. Baker's school was well supported by many leading families in various parts of the Colony. In 1890, he removed to Hobart, where he remained for nearly two years, but returned to New Zealand in 1892 and established the “Goodwood House” preparatory school near Palmerston. This school he successfully conducted till May, 1896, when he was appointed manager of the boarding-house, called the “Rectory,” at the Boys' High School, with the right to conduct his own school on the premises. He was well known as an athlete, having won many trophies both at Lancing, and at the University, and was an old “Blue” who had rowed for Oxford against Cambridge in 1869–70–71. He won the championship for athletic sports held at Timaru in 1878, and also represented Canterbury against the first Australian cricket team that visited New Zealand. Mr. Baker was married in 1878, to a daughter of Mr. Thomas Dicken, of Christchurch. He died in 1902.
Mr. C. H. Broad , B. A., formerly one of the Assistant Masters of the Otago Boys' High School, but now of Nelson College, is the second son of the late Judge Broad, and was born in Nelson in 1872. He was educated at Nelson College, where he gained several scholarships, and graduated B. A. at Auckland University College in 1893. Mr. Broad commenced his career as a teacher at Nelson College, where he was an assistant master for a period of four years, being appointed at Easter, 1897, to the Boys' High School, Dunedin. During his residence in Nelson he took a considerable interest in cricket, and was for several years captain of the Nelson College cricket club. Mr. Broad played in several representative matches, and was successful in winning numerous trophies. When in Dunedin he was a member of the Carisbrook cricket club, and represented Otago in several interprovincial cricket matches. He was also a member of the Otago tennis club, and won the championship of the province in 1901. Mr. Broad is an old footballer.
Mr. Edwin Thomas Norris , M. A., formerly one of the Assistant Master of the Otago Boys' High School, was born in London in 1870. He is the son of Mr. T. C. Norris, secretary of the Charitable Aid Board, Christchurch, and was educated at the Christchurch Boys' High School. Mr. Norris took his B. A. degree in 1892 and the M. A. degree with first-class honours in English in the following year. He commenced his career as a teacher at Mr. Charles Cook's school, Christchurch, where he remained for a period of four years; he was appointed assistant master to the Timaru High School in 1896, and, in 1898, to the position he held in the Otago Boys' High School Mr. Norris is interested in cricket and football, and during his residence at Timaru had charge of the school games club. He was captain for two years of the Timaru High School Cadet corps, and while in Dunedin, was a member of the Otago Rowing Club. At Canterbury College, he was the first secretary of the Canterbury College Graduates' Association. Mr. Norris is now at Heretaunga School, Hastings, Hawke's Bay.
The Girls' High School of Otago , which occupies a block of about two acres of land extending from Rattray Street to Dowling and Smith Streets, opposite the Roman Catholic Cathedral, was originally built for a Boys' High School, and has been used for its present purpose since the large building was erected for the boys in 1884. The Girls' High School is a substantial brick structure, and includes a boarding-house where there is accommodation for thirty boarders, besides the school buildings proper. The boarding-house has a large dining-hall which will seat forty, and a considerable number of dormitories, each girl being provided with a separate bedroom. There are also six bathrooms, as well as sitting-rooms, and studios, besides the principal's and matron's apartments, kitchen, and out-offices. The portion of the building devoted to the school work has an imposing Corinthian front with eight or ten handsome pillars. In the large school hall, which will accommodate about two hundred, there are very fine oil paintings. One is by Signor Nerli of the late Rev. Dr. Stuart, and was presented by the founders of the Girls' High School and members of the High School club; there is an oil painting of the late Sir John Richardson, another of Miss Dalrymple (who was secretary of the committee formed in 1870 to establish the school), and an enlarged photograph of Mrs. M. Gordon Burn (first principal of the school). Besides this large hall, there are six class-rooms, three on the ground floor page 161 and three on the first floor; there is also a considerable library. In the boardinghouse a large room has been fitted up for the practical teaching of cooking, and provision is also made for dressmaking classes. The out-buildings, which are connected by means of covered-ways, include a fine studio with two rooms devoted, respectively, to junlor and senior scholars, and a splendid gymnasium, well fitted up with clubs, poles, rings, ladders, and all needful appliances; and there is also a piano. The science laboratory is fitted up for chemical and biological instruction. and is well furnished with chemical apparatus and microscopes, etc. Two large play-sheds and a cloak-room complete the outbuildings. In the grounds there are two tenniscourts and two fives-courts. The Girls' High School was originally founded in 1870, Mrs. M. Gorden Burn being the first principal. On that lady's retirement in 1885, Mr. Alex. Wilson. M.A., became principal, and on his appointment to the position of rector of the Boy's High School ten years later, the present principal was appointed.
Miss M.E. Allman Marchant , Principal of the Girls' High School of Otago, was born in Wellington. She is the eldest daughter of Mr. J. W. A. Marchant, Surveyor General of New Zealand. and was educated at private schools in Wellington, and at the High School, of which she was Dux in 1887. She studied in connection with the New Zealand University while in Wellington, and passed the examinations of Canterbury College. Christchurch. taking the M.A. degree in 1894. Miss Marchant commenced to teach at Mrs. Swainson's private school in Wellington in 1888, and two years later was appointed to the Wellington Girls' High School, where she taught till 1895, when she was appointed to her present position.
The Presbyterian Theological College is the only college of its kind in New Zealand, and was opened in 1877 for the training of students for the Presbyterian ministry. Dr. Salmond, now of the Otago University, was the first Professor of Theology, and the Rev. Dr. Watt, first Professor of Hebrew. Church History and also Testament Exegesis. Dr. Salmond retired in 1897 to accept his present position as Professor in the Otago University, and was succeeded by Dr. Dunlop. The course of study is for three years, and examinations are held twice a year. Twenty students from all parts of the colony attend the college, and many of the former students now occupy distinguished positions in the church.
The Rev. John Dunlop , M.A., D.D., Professor of Theology at the Presbyterian Theological College, was born in Ayrshire Scotland, and received his earlier education in his native parish. He entered Glasgow University, and studied Theology at the Glasgow Theological Hall. Dr. Dunlop was first prizeman in Logic and Moral Philosphy, prizeman in Mathematics, and took two seconds in Lord Kelvin's class. He was ordained in 1870, and was pastor of St. David's, Dundee, for seventeen years, before coming to Dunedin in 1897, to succeed Dr. Salmond.
The Selwyn Theological College , Dunedin, was opened in 1893, and owes it origin mainly to the efforts of Bishop Nevill. The college trains students for holy orders and also a place of residence for students attending the Otago University. The building can accommodate from ten to fifteen boarders, and most of the first storey is occupied by a valuable library of ten thousand volumes, considered one of the best collections in New Zealand. One of the rooms has been converted by the warden into a handsome chapel, where two services are held daily. Since the formation of the college in 1893. over twenty students have been ordained.
The Rev. Alfred Neild , M.A., Warden of the Selwyn Theological College, and Vicar of the Cathedral Districts, was born in Cheshire, England, and educated at a private school, and at Owens College, Manchester. He graduated B.A. at Pembroke College, Cambridge, in 1887, and M.A. in 1890, with second class honours in classics and theology. Mr. Neild was ordained deacon at Manchester, in 1888, and priest in the following years by Bishop Moorhouse, and he was curate at St. James, Manchester, for two years. After holding various curacies, he was appointed tutor at St. Aidan's Theological College, Birkenhead. He came to New Zealand in 1891, and was vicar at Pohangina for three years, before removing to Dunedin in 1900.